Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy small block and big block bolt lengths
View Single Post
Old 03-01-2013, 09:17 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well I guess all those dragbikes Ive been putting together over the years using stainless steel hardware and a little anti seize on the threads will be falling apart at any time now!
Ive been in the plumbing/electrical/hvac trades now on and off since about 1982,I know a little bit about electrolysis(spell check)
Anyway Im running the bolts into cast iron engine blocks in this case,theres no need to run a grade 5 bolt to hold a timing chain cover or an oil pan on a motor.
I grew up around flat bottem v-drive dragboats with blown big block chevys sitting in the back,Ive also owned a couple in the past as well.
And we used stainless steel bolts all over on those bolts including bell housing bolts.
There are stainless steels out there that can be be heat treated to obtain a tensile strength of 160,000 psi,so go easy labeling all stainless fasteners as weak.
And what do you think the tensile strength of an aluminum cylinder head or intake manifold your threading the bolt into is?
So anyway Ill just buy a set of bolts and measure the lengths to get my answer since nobody seems to know here.