Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy starter cranks and cranks, cranks
View Single Post
Old 07-21-2003, 10:48 PM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Arrow

There are several things that can cause that. If the starter is shimmed right and all else is o.k. let me suggest something I have seen on different vehicles at various times, and it may sound odd but it is a real possibility and an easy solution. If your battery voltage is low, it will actually arc the solenoid contacts enough to keep the engine cranking and when the battery is disconnected it allows it to release. To explain how this works you need to realize that any electrical component ( starter motor in this case) is rated in watts (which is volts x amps), so when the voltage is down it generates more amps to create the same wattage and the amps is what causes the sticking. It doesn't have to be real low ( I think below 11 volts it probably won't crank) but that's enough off of a charged batterey's 12.6 to create the phenomenom. It may not be the problem, but it is an easy check and no cost fix if it is. I hope this helps and if not you can keep it in your memory for the future, I've seen it happen at least a dozen times. Let us know.