Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy starter issues...
View Single Post
Old 03-26-2012, 04:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy starter issues...

Ok, so here's what is going on. I have a chevy 350 from a 79 camaro in a 66 buick skylark, and I'm using a starter from a 1979 camaro. The starter is toast per Pepboys. I have the engine out right now, and for the longest I have been starting the car with a push button because my ignition wasn't working. So I got adventerous and fixed the ignition, wired the starter up and BOOM, starter body arc's (it was sitting on the car frame) against the frame of the car.

I guess maybe I burned it up, or the starter is just bad from sitting all winter without being used. I am using the wiring diagram for a 66 skylark, assuming the wiring terminology would be the same somewhat, except, I don't know the terminology behind wiring a starter. If someone here could give me the basics of wiring a solenoid, what each post does, and how the ignition actuate's the starter, I would appreciate it. I would also appreciate links, because all I can find is Ehow crap that doesn't really help. Thanks