Chevy steering colum in a Ford - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-13-2009, 08:42 AM

Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy steering colum in a Ford

OK if I'M going to build a ford I'M going to make a Chevy out of it. I got the engine mounts tranny mount and a nice 327. but what about the steering colum wiring . whats the beast way to Handel this part of the job. any Input would be helpful Thanks
daybreaker

PS I have a 84 ford f150 short bed

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2009, 10:50 AM

Last photo:

I'm not positive. Because I've never done one. But i would guess this would be a place to start. http://www.painlessperformance.com/a...log/page58.pdf
Old 03-13-2009, 10:53 AM
Hotrodders.com moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: Yard Dog pic
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 3

Moving to electrical..ez wire has some plugs that go right to the chev column..I think anyway..check them out as well..

Sam
Old 03-14-2009, 10:51 AM

Steering column and wires.

This is relatively simple. Go to a salvage yard and strip out the column (GM) of choice and at the same time strip out of the donor car the complete wiring harness. Do not cut anything... Save all plug ins. Also remove the thru firewall Connector, both sides. Also save the fuse box and carefully unplug all the harness that go to the steering column. While you are at it you might as well use the brake booster and pedal assembly to mount into your build.

Now when you are ready to wire this job it is really simple. It becomes plug and play. Everything is fused properly and is easy to diagnois. As for the rear section of the harness; why not strip that also and then the fuel gauge circuit will be there along with brake lights etc. How simple is that? If the donor car uses a internally regulated alternator, then the charging system will be working also. No need to figure that out.

If you strip what you need correctly then the whole of the wiring harness will just plug back in as if it were in the original donor car...

PS; Make sure to find a column that has a key and then take with you the keyed door locks and put them in your build car. Very kool to have all of these work off the same key... Get the trunk lock assembly also if it has a key. This takes away a whole lot of problems and engineering.
Old 03-14-2009, 02:10 PM

thanks

Hay thanks the mixing and matching is new to me, but I'm tired of every thing being plug and play and its good to find a place were I don't get criticized for wanting to mix brands I'm sure Ill need a lot of help along the way
Thanks again
daybreaker
Old 03-14-2009, 03:11 PM

steering

Only me and you will ever know. And just think how nice the job will look with the front harness all dressed out in the black flex conduit that GM uses to protect the harness. I'm using the stock harness on my 1939 Pontiac strret rod and it fits perfect. No one can tell that it was not a job done by some expensive shop somewhere. Also of import is that with this simple system all one needs to troubleshot it is a standard GM wiring diagram available at any library:-)

Heck, I even have my aftermarket electric windsheild wiper motors wired into the stock GM wonderstick control on the directional lever. I can even use the timed mist function.... Instal a cruise control system and the switches are all there waiting for you. Back-up lights? Yep, they are there also. Let me see you find a car shop that knows how to wire that for ya! 4 way flashers, directionals, stop lights, and dimmer. All in this simple package. I did a 41 Packard coupe street rod with this setup and a 40 LaSalle sedan the same way. The LaSalle is in a closed collection in LA. and the Packard is still running the roads near Atlanta Georgia.... Damn, I wish my 39 was done cause I wanna cruise!
Old 03-14-2009, 04:08 PM

cool

That's cool man . I just want some thing different to work on some thing that people say how did you do that . I'm working on fitting a Studebaker dash right now the original square box didn't do it for me. and besides its got more stile . Id like to make a waterfall between the seats but that all depends on hoe the console goes and that depends on the dash etc. etc. bit it will get there funny thing is is this started as a engine rebuild and I decided to scrap the in-line 300 then it snow balled

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.