Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy straight 6 engine ID confusion.
View Single Post
Old 04-26-2012, 09:37 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_rig
Hey guys I'm new to this old straight 6 but am fairly well educated. Sorry in advance for the long post.

I have a 1964 C10 I am restoring and bought a donor motor to build and replace my old 292. I have checked all the casting numbers and come up with the block being 3788378, which is a 292 according to several forums and websites. The head is 3824435 which according to the list at inliners.org is from a 194. The biggest confusion is that the block reads 292 but it has the shorter (~4") pushrod covers on the side, not 6" like my current engine. I have read a few posts on other forums mentioning a low deck 292 but can't find any solid answers. If anyone could help me identify this engine I would greatly appreciate it. And, because I'm sure someone will ask, yes I've triple checked the casting number on the block, it's very clean and easy to read. I can't post pictures from where I am but as soon as I am at my computer I'd be happy to. The motor mounts are across from each other like a 230/250 block as well. So why the wrong casting number?
A low deck 292? Never seen or even heard of such a thing. If you ever get confirmation, let me know.

Don't know where you got the c/n info from but here's some more info on casting numbers, etc. Here are some more.

Good luck.