Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Engine (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/engine/)
-   -   Chevy straight 6 engine ID confusion. (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/chevy-straight-6-engine-id-confusion-218651.html)

Big_rig 04-26-2012 11:46 AM

Chevy straight 6 engine ID confusion.
 
Hey guys I'm new to this old straight 6 but am fairly well educated. Sorry in advance for the long post.

I have a 1964 C10 I am restoring and bought a donor motor to build and replace my old 292. I have checked all the casting numbers and come up with the block being 3788378, which is a 292 according to several forums and websites. The head is 3824435 which according to the list at inliners.org is from a 194. The biggest confusion is that the block reads 292 but it has the shorter (~4") pushrod covers on the side, not 6" like my current engine. I have read a few posts on other forums mentioning a low deck 292 but can't find any solid answers. If anyone could help me identify this engine I would greatly appreciate it. And, because I'm sure someone will ask, yes I've triple checked the casting number on the block, it's very clean and easy to read. I can't post pictures from where I am but as soon as I am at my computer I'd be happy to. The motor mounts are across from each other like a 230/250 block as well. So why the wrong casting number?

cobalt327 04-26-2012 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_rig
Hey guys I'm new to this old straight 6 but am fairly well educated. Sorry in advance for the long post.

I have a 1964 C10 I am restoring and bought a donor motor to build and replace my old 292. I have checked all the casting numbers and come up with the block being 3788378, which is a 292 according to several forums and websites. The head is 3824435 which according to the list at inliners.org is from a 194. The biggest confusion is that the block reads 292 but it has the shorter (~4") pushrod covers on the side, not 6" like my current engine. I have read a few posts on other forums mentioning a low deck 292 but can't find any solid answers. If anyone could help me identify this engine I would greatly appreciate it. And, because I'm sure someone will ask, yes I've triple checked the casting number on the block, it's very clean and easy to read. I can't post pictures from where I am but as soon as I am at my computer I'd be happy to. The motor mounts are across from each other like a 230/250 block as well. So why the wrong casting number?

A low deck 292? Never seen or even heard of such a thing. If you ever get confirmation, let me know.

Don't know where you got the c/n info from but here's some more info on casting numbers, etc. Here are some more.

Good luck.

Big_rig 04-26-2012 10:21 PM

So far what I have found out is the head on this motor is from a 194, the block is either a 230 or 250, and the casting number is wrong. The motor in every way matches the low deck. As for the 292 low deck, it was a thing done for circle track racing in the 80's according to some folks on another forum. They would machine the crank from a 292 to fit into a 250 block and do custom rods and pistons to build a stroker. Rumor has it there's a book somewhere by a guy named John thawley with all the details. as for the motor, I guess I'm building a 250. Thanks for the input.

cobalt327 04-27-2012 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_rig
So far what I have found out is the head on this motor is from a 194, the block is either a 230 or 250, and the casting number is wrong. The motor in every way matches the low deck. As for the 292 low deck, it was a thing done for circle track racing in the 80's according to some folks on another forum. They would machine the crank from a 292 to fit into a 250 block and do custom rods and pistons to build a stroker. Rumor has it there's a book somewhere by a guy named John thawley with all the details. as for the motor, I guess I'm building a 250. Thanks for the input.

Cool. I thought the low deck 292 was supposed to be a factory deal. Have you looked up the suffix from this block?

Might want to cc the head, if it's 61cc like I see listed that'll put the cr up there pretty good on a 250.

Big_rig 04-27-2012 03:21 PM

I'm not sure what you mean by suffix. If you could explain, I would like to know all I can about this engine before I tear into it and put it in my truck.
The numbers I have are;

Block casting: 3788378
Head casting: 3824435
Pad behind distributor: S19754
Rear passenger side: CON3 A 30 2

That's all the numbers I can see without stripping all the paint off the block for a closer look. If those numbers have the suffix you're talking about please do fill me in. Thanks.

cobalt327 04-27-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big_rig
I'm not sure what you mean by suffix. If you could explain, I would like to know all I can about this engine before I tear into it and put it in my truck.
The numbers I have are;

Block casting: 3788378
Head casting: 3824435
Pad behind distributor: S19754
Rear passenger side: CON3 A 30 2

That's all the numbers I can see without stripping all the paint off the block for a closer look. If those numbers have the suffix you're talking about please do fill me in. Thanks.

OK, "CON3" is a foundry ID code, it's no help in ID'ing the engine.

"A 30 2" is a date code: Jan 30 of a year ending in 2. If this is a 250, that would be 1972.

The suffix (also called the "application" code) will be in a string of letters and numbers. The string is usually a letter followed by a date code, followed by 1, 2 or 3 letter code. This is found in the area where you were looking near the distributor, above the fuel pump (prolly near where you found "S19754"). The suffix string of letters/numbers are always stamped in, not cast into the block like the date code or foundry ID code.

Some suffix codes for '72:

CAL - 250cid w/3-speed manual (Taxi)
CBA - 250cid w/3-speed manual and NB2
CBG - 250cid w/3-speed manual
CBJ - 250cid w/Powerglide
CBK - 250cid w/Powerglide (Taxi)
CDL - 250cid w/Powerglide and A.I.R.
CDM - 250cid w/3-speed manual and A.I.R.
CSD - 250cid w/Powerglide and NB2
Note- "NB2" refers to exhaust emissions

There may also be a partial VIN number stamped in a separate string of numbers near the suffix string. If your block is missing the suffix and partial VIN, there's no way to know what the engine might have come in originally, unless there were other bolt-on clues like a carb w/a governor on it (would be on a heavy truck or bus), or if it had a large bellhousing and a HD "granny low" trans (also HD truck/bus application). If the crankshaft has a pilot bushing in it, that would mean it had been used w/an auto trans- although this could have been added later.

I don't know what the "S19754" stands for. Maybe someone else can tell you more about this.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:46 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.