Chevy Torque Converter Swap! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2007, 07:02 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy Torque Converter Swap!

Help

It's time for the stock 1972 torque converter to come out of my Chevy. I have a new Hughes Performance GM30 converter to throw in there. Buying it was easy, not it's time for the hard part - installing it.

It's a big block chevy 454, with a TH-350 trans.

I've got the car up in the air, trans fluid drained, a couple hydraulic jacks, and I'm ready to go.

This is my first one so I am not sure of myself. I know basically what needs to be done by am worried about a couple of things.

1) which way will the trans want to "tip" when it's unbolted from the bellhousing. Is it going to fall on me?

2) is there a secret to removing the trans and converter from the flexplate. Will it just slide back nicely or will I have to push and pull on it?

3) will the converter just slide off the trans shaft or will it need pushing and pulling?

4) how much does my TH-350 weigh? 50 lbs, 100 lbs, 150 lbs?

5) is there a trick to reinstalling the whole assembly and bolting it to the bellhousing. will I be able to do it myself?

Lee

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2007, 08:16 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: T-350 rebuild tech
Last journal entry: Bar under the dash
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1659

what type of jacks? !

The t-350 tranny is over 200 pounds with fluid and converter... you can get hurt very easy & fast!
Old 01-03-2007, 08:21 PM
Newskool

Last journal entry: New, Used grill arrived!
Last photo:

I recently pulled the transmission out of my 74 nova ss and it went REALLY smoothly. It had a standard th350 in it and they aren't all that hard to do.

I took this process to get it all done.
1. Support engine with bottle jack
2. Support trasmission with jack(I used a 2x10 ontop to spread the load over the pan)
3. Remove all connections(including driveshaft and torque converter bolts)
- Use a crow bar against the flywheel to rotate the engine and remove any converter bolts out of reach.
4. Double check everything and make sure its all disconnected and ready to be removed.
5. Remove the transmission crossmember.
6. Unbolt the transmission from the engine(I left the bottom bolt on one side so I could disconnect it last when I was ready. I pulled it out on my own and didn't have someone to unbolt as I spotted).
7. From underneath the car remove the last bolt holding the transmission to the engine. From there you should be able to slide the transmission back. I would suggest moving it back about an inch. From there you can check your clearances and figure out the best way to remove the transmission.

There are two "pegs" in your engine block that I'm assuming are for aligning the transmission with the engine. These come in hand as they prevent your transmission from moving when unbolted and flush against the motor.

Here's a picture of my transmission coming out and the new one near it:
http://www.webdummy.net/nova/winter/...l/DSCF0257.JPG
http://www.webdummy.net/nova/winter/...l/DSCF0258.JPG

Back of the engine all supported:
http://www.webdummy.net/nova/winter/...l/DSCF0261.JPG
http://www.webdummy.net/nova/winter/...l/DSCF0263.JPG

I had some problems with my cooling lines and luckly I had a hacksaw out from cutting my exhaust. When the transmission was sitting on the jack just after being disconnected from the motor I realized the cooling lines where seized in. A hacksaw and tinsnips made quick do of the steel lines.
http://www.webdummy.net/nova/winter/...l/DSCF0268.JPG

Thats the method I used atleast. I'm a skronny 16 year old and I had no problem removing the transmission or keeping it on a jack. It was all very stable.

If I find a chance I'll type out the section from my GM service manual. It says step by step how your supposed to remove the transmission. I followed it and all went well. Just remember to take your transmission pan all the way off when its still in the car. I made that mistake.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:34 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crosley
what type of jacks? !

The t-350 tranny is over 200 pounds with fluid and converter... you can get hurt very easy & fast!
2.5 ton rolling floor jacks.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:36 PM
72NOVA454

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topdogger
I recently pulled the transmission out of my 74 nova ss and it went REALLY smoothly. It had a standard th350 in it and they aren't all that hard to do.

I took this process to get it all done.
1. Support engine with bottle jack
2. Support trasmission with jack(I used a 2x10 ontop to spread the load over the pan)
3. Remove all connections(including driveshaft and torque converter bolts)
- Use a crow bar against the flywheel to rotate the engine and remove any converter bolts out of reach.
4. Double check everything and make sure its all disconnected and ready to be removed.
5. Remove the transmission crossmember.
6. Unbolt the transmission from the engine(I left the bottom bolt on one side so I could disconnect it last when I was ready. I pulled it out on my own and didn't have someone to unbolt as I spotted).
7. From underneath the car remove the last bolt holding the transmission to the engine. From there you should be able to slide the transmission back. I would suggest moving it back about an inch. From there you can check your clearances and figure out the best way to remove the transmission.

There are two "pegs" in your engine block that I'm assuming are for aligning the transmission with the engine. These come in hand as they prevent your transmission from moving when unbolted and flush against the motor.

Here's a picture of my transmission coming out and the new one near it:
http://www.webdummy.net/nova/winter/...l/DSCF0257.JPG
http://www.webdummy.net/nova/winter/...l/DSCF0258.JPG

Back of the engine all supported:
http://www.webdummy.net/nova/winter/...l/DSCF0261.JPG
http://www.webdummy.net/nova/winter/...l/DSCF0263.JPG

I had some problems with my cooling lines and luckly I had a hacksaw out from cutting my exhaust. When the transmission was sitting on the jack just after being disconnected from the motor I realized the cooling lines where seized in. A hacksaw and tinsnips made quick do of the steel lines.
http://www.webdummy.net/nova/winter/...l/DSCF0268.JPG

Thats the method I used atleast. I'm a skronny 16 year old and I had no problem removing the transmission or keeping it on a jack. It was all very stable.

If I find a chance I'll type out the section from my GM service manual. It says step by step how your supposed to remove the transmission. I followed it and all went well. Just remember to take your transmission pan all the way off when its still in the car. I made that mistake.
yea, thanks.

that's one thing I didnt think of, to support the engine. Even though it's sittin on motor mounts, it will likely "tip" back when the trans is disconnected from it. Maybe, maybe not, but not a bad idea to support it under the oil pan with a flat board. I'll try that.
Old 01-03-2007, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

True fact. Otherwise it'll rest the distributor on the firewall. Might want to remove the cap & rotor anyway, just to avoid damage.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Newskool

Last journal entry: New, Used grill arrived!
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
True fact. Otherwise it'll rest the distributor on the firewall. Might want to remove the cap & rotor anyway, just to avoid damage.
Yes that probably wouldn't hurt. I had lots of room to work with because tunnel on my car is big enough for a 4spd transmission. So I have lots of room to work with.

You could get away without removeing it. Thats up to you. If you want to be extra careful remove it. Otherwise just support the motor and make sure and raise it up a little bit so its sitting higher then it does when its just normally in the car connected to the transmission. Not much just a tad bit.

Good luck.
Old 01-04-2007, 05:55 AM
when will it rain???

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfulco
depending on the car, theres plenty of room... besides,as long as the exshaust is intact, it should keep the engine from leaning far enough to hit the distributor.. cars to watch out for... corvette, any x-body car with a v-8(with or without hei, very close!), and some chevy trucks (big block).

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.