Chevy Truck problems - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum



Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Hotrodding Basics
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 06-19-2012, 04:55 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Chevy Truck problems

I have a 90 model Chevy full size truck with a 350 TBI engine i believe..The problem is that the previous owner had dropped an e clip inside the intake that found its way between the seat and the intake valve, anyways the head is junk...

Not wanting to spend alot of money on this, I have some options..

Find a new head for the 350...

Use a set of pre 87 heads on it, (I have these..) but i know the intake will not fit these heads.. These heads are 84 305 heads I had ported some time ago and have readily..

Does someone make a TBI intake for these heads? or can I drill the center four intake bolts and make it work? or just convert it to carb witch I have everything to do..Basically I have no budget for this.. So i will likely have to use what I have.

I dont know if the pre 87 heads have all the acc bolt holes for the brackets any and all info on this project would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

    Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 06-20-2012, 01:43 PM
spinn's Avatar
Strawberries never die
 

Last journal entry: This makes a huge difference
Last photo:
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Midnight
Posts: 2,466
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 12
Thanked 80 Times in 78 Posts
This is a driver truck it should have been fine. A little clip took out the head? Come on, how big was it? Ever take a salvage car and throw pennies into the intake? Drowning it with water will bend the rods.

I have dropped washers nuts screws into the engine. Did nothing but maybe increase the compression ratio by taking up space.

Not a common practice of mine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 06-20-2012, 05:27 PM
S10 Racer's Avatar
http://www.warsprints.com
 

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: At The Dirt Tracks
Age: 55
Posts: 1,881
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 3
Thanked 59 Times in 54 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by spinn
This is a driver truck it should have been fine. A little clip took out the head? Come on, how big was it? Ever take a salvage car and throw pennies into the intake? Drowning it with water will bend the rods.

I have dropped washers nuts screws into the engine. Did nothing but maybe increase the compression ratio by taking up space.

Not a common practice of mine.
I actually tore down an engine for a refresh and found a needle from a carb was embedded in the top of one piston. Not sure where it came from but the engine still ran good, just used a little oil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 06-20-2012, 08:21 PM
66GMC's Avatar
Get in, sit down, hang on
 

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Olds, Alberta Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 2,761
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 32
Thanked 90 Times in 85 Posts
I'd go with option 1.

There's gotta be thousands of used cyl heads for 350 TBI in the wrecking yards, which nobody really wants ...

According to the laws of supply and demand ... I'm thinking the yards would love to sell you a hand-picked one of your choice for about $25.00.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yea the e-clip was stuck between the valve and the seat.....clearly visible when the head was removed. as far as heads are a dime a dozen...why dont u find two heads 25$ each and ill happily buy them from you, and hey Ill even pay shipping+ an extra 5$ a head just for your trouble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 06-21-2012, 09:17 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
I actually tore down an engine for a refresh and found a needle from a carb was embedded in the top of one piston. Not sure where it came from but the engine still ran good, just used a little oil.
hehe yea well this one in particular ran just fine except the steady flow of water out of the exhaust.

Im not here to judge one way or the other, I bought the truck from a family member, been sitting for awhile and he needed the money, I dont really care about what is exactly RIGHT as long as it will work and I can get it to run i dont care if I put 305 heads on it or convert it to carb its just going to be something to haul mulch errr w.e else I might need so in a word...BEATER so does anyone really know what will or will not work or am i wasting my time here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #7 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2012, 05:51 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Alexandria, VA
Posts: 1,754
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 4
Thanked 65 Times in 63 Posts
I have seen adapters advertised that are used to convert a non-TBI engine so you can you the 2 barrel GM throttle body. I've never seen one installed, but its a fairly common conversion. I think you could install a stock GM intake on the old heads and just use the adapter like this. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TRD-2211/

I've also seen several folks suggest that you can redrill the center holes in the intake, but its usually the opposite of what you need (they usually want to put an old intake on newer heads).

Bruce
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #8 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2012, 08:03 PM
66GMC's Avatar
Get in, sit down, hang on
 

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Olds, Alberta Canada
Age: 56
Posts: 2,761
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 32
Thanked 90 Times in 85 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypty
...
as far as heads are a dime a dozen...why dont u find two heads 25$ each and ill happily buy them from you, and hey Ill even pay shipping+ an extra 5$ a head just for your trouble
I think I may have detected a little unfounded sarcasm in your reply ...
Pick - N - Pull price list

Quote:
306-4 Head - Cast Iron W/O Cam Car $34.99 $4.99
OK $34.99 ... not $25.00 ... so I'll waive my "finder's fees".

Seriously ... SB Chevy TBI heads are "doorstop" or perhaps "wheel chock" material here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #9 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2012, 08:37 PM
BigEd36's Avatar
Registered User
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Auburn, IN
Age: 65
Posts: 386
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 17
Thanked 43 Times in 39 Posts
krypty, here's a webpage that gives the information on using your TBI intake manifold on your early heads. Using stock TBI intake on early heads
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #10 (permalink)  
Old 06-22-2012, 09:24 PM
cobalt327's Avatar
WFO
 
Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Atlanta
Age: 59
Posts: 5,037
Wiki Edits: 1616

Thanks: 128
Thanked 597 Times in 546 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by krypty
I have a 90 model Chevy full size truck with a 350 TBI engine i believe..The problem is that the previous owner had dropped an e clip inside the intake that found its way between the seat and the intake valve, anyways the head is junk...

Not wanting to spend alot of money on this, I have some options..

Find a new head for the 350...

Use a set of pre 87 heads on it, (I have these..) but i know the intake will not fit these heads.. These heads are 84 305 heads I had ported some time ago and have readily..

Does someone make a TBI intake for these heads? or can I drill the center four intake bolts and make it work? or just convert it to carb witch I have everything to do..Basically I have no budget for this.. So i will likely have to use what I have.

I dont know if the pre 87 heads have all the acc bolt holes for the brackets any and all info on this project would be greatly appreciated..

Thanks,
I have a pair of TBI heads from a '92 350. PM me if interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #11 (permalink)  
Old 06-23-2012, 10:15 AM
Hot Rod Has Been
 
Last photo:
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Wisconsin
Age: 65
Posts: 187
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
I think I may have detected a little unfounded sarcasm in your reply ...
Pick - N - Pull price list


OK $34.99 ... not $25.00 ... so I'll waive my "finder's fees".

Seriously ... SB Chevy TBI heads are "doorstop" or perhaps "wheel chock" material here.
You forgot the core charge...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #12 (permalink)  
Old 06-25-2012, 02:47 PM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Metro Detroit
Posts: 6
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If your just looking to get it running again, pick one up from a recycler or look on craigslist.

If your looking to get more performance, pick up a set of votec heads. They will bolt right on, but you will need to get a new intake to match the vortec heads and your EGR will no longer work. I'm told they add ~50 hp by themselves. I can't attest to that, but I can tell you I picked up a whole lot of power between them, a new cam, and bigger injectors.

Here's a link with all types of performace tips for that truck / engine.

http://tbichips.com/truckmods.htm

Good luck!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
  #13 (permalink)  
Old 06-27-2012, 11:32 AM
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Posts: 13
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyCrankPot
If your just looking to get it running again, pick one up from a recycler or look on craigslist.

If your looking to get more performance, pick up a set of votec heads. They will bolt right on, but you will need to get a new intake to match the vortec heads and your EGR will no longer work. I'm told they add ~50 hp by themselves. I can't attest to that, but I can tell you I picked up a whole lot of power between them, a new cam, and bigger injectors.

Here's a link with all types of performace tips for that truck / engine.

http://tbichips.com/truckmods.htm

Good luck!

thank you for all the info/help with this project....

The truck is a 4x4 short wheel base 5 speed, i dunno the gear ratio but i should have it running by the weekend, I just need gaskets...

as far as performance is concerned, im not really worried about it, if i had time Id port the 193 castings to see if Id gain much, but it looks like the cam in these motor's are a real problem concerning performance soooo I might add a cam and a set of ported heads/larger injectors/chip later

I speacialize in small block/bigblock chevy castings as far a port work is concerned so i might take it upon myself to see what these casting are capable of... I mean i never thought the BBC oval port heads could support a 6500 rpm 496 but after extensive portwork they work great ^^ and yes they had too the person/customer was my dad >.<
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Recent Hotrodding Basics posts with photos

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2004 chevy truck torque converter problems? cabledawg22000 Transmission - Rearend 4 11-16-2009 02:23 PM
1981 chevy truck HEI ignition problems Brad Wiley Electrical 3 12-29-2006 11:26 AM
electrical problems in my chevy truck? bonzipenguins Engine 5 09-21-2006 09:52 PM
'49 Chevy Truck-More Brake Problems hiimed Suspension - Brakes - Steering 7 03-29-2003 02:13 PM


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0 PL2
Copyright Hotrodders.com 1999 - 2012. All Rights Reserved.