Chevy Twisted Wedge Heads - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-25-2005, 08:31 PM
You got a leaky spark tube...

Last wiki edit: Rearend removal
Last journal entry: General Lee
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 19

Chevy Twisted Wedge Heads

Ive seen Twisted Wedge heads for small blocks in various articles. Car Craft even has them listed in their cylinder head database on the web site, but I didnt see them in the TFS site or on the Summit site. Does anybody know anything about these heads, how much they cost, or where I could find more information about them? Just curious...

Also, how are the 23 degree heads compared to other aluminum heads?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-25-2005, 09:07 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I don't know about the TFS heads, and don't understand your second question - all stock and most aftermarket heads are 23 degree heads. Some expensive racing heads are 18 degree or less, but they're not terribly common, at least on engines I've been around.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:14 PM

Last photo:

I know that most of the Chevy heads are 23 degree. TFS has a set of heads called "Kenny Dutteweiler Signature Series" 23 degree. Those are the heads Im referring to.
Old 07-25-2005, 09:49 PM

We have used the Twisted Wedge R head on Fords and Chevy motors. They work excellent.

IN GENERAL all 23 degree heads are similar in design and operation. The variations come in the port design, combustion chamber and final finish of each. Compared to a non CNC'ed cylinder head the Trick Flows are very very good. Even compared to the CNC'ed head such as AFR they preform very well.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:19 PM

Last photo:

What port sizes on the R-series heads? Im going to be assembling a 406 and I plan on using aluminum heads. It's going to run somewhere around 10.5:1 compression with a solid lifter cam in the neighborhood of 245@.050. Im looking for a good set of heads to run and was considering the Twisted Wedge heads but I want to learn a little more about them first.

I was thinking about building a stroked 400 but I dont know how much you can cram into a factory SB 400 crankcase. It will have 5.7 rods and maybe 6" rods if they can fit without much work. Any ideas?
Old 07-25-2005, 11:06 PM

They are a 215cc runner. Not out of line for a strong 408.
Old 07-26-2005, 06:41 AM
http://teamrfc.gospelcom.net

Last photo:

From what I have seen, the trick flows are good heads. I think, however, that for the money you would be better off with a set of AFR 210 heads.

Here are some dynoed packages with AFR heads. You will have around $150-$200 more in a set of AFR's but they come fully CNC ported.

http://www.airflowresearch.com/dyno/chevy_dyno.htm

Adam
Old 07-26-2005, 07:16 AM
Time is short, are you ready?

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blazin72
Ive seen Twisted Wedge heads for small blocks in various articles. Car Craft even has them listed in their cylinder head database on the web site, but I didnt see them in the TFS site or on the Summit site. Does anybody know anything about these heads, how much they cost, or where I could find more information about them? Just curious...
I think the "Twisted Wedge Head" you are referring to may not be manufactured anymore. They had a 185 cc intake runners and were economical aluminum heads and not "race" heads. Here is an article from Hot Rod that shows what I think of when someone says "Twisted Wedge Head" for small block Chevy. Not sure how old the article is, but if you can't find them on Trick Flow's or Summit's website, they probably are discontinued.

I had a set of those heads about 8 years ago. The intake valve had a 13* angle, while the exhaust valve used the traditional 23* angle. They worked okay, but I sold them and bought a set of Performer RPM heads. I learned that they had problems with springs breaking. Mine never did, but I dumped them anyway.

I concur with Adam, spend a few extra coins and get some AFR heads. That's what I eventually did and now run AFR 195 heads on my 383 SBC.

Good luck, Ed www.edgesz28.com
Old 07-26-2005, 05:41 PM
King of my Man-cave.

Last photo:

I have redone 3 sets of the 13/23 degree angle heads. The valves are almost impossible to find new and yep, almost all of the springs were broken or had broken dampeners. The newer 23 degree heads are infinitely better in performance and quality.

tom
Old 07-28-2005, 09:30 PM

Last photo:

trick flow heads

i own a set of the twisted wedge heads..they are great for a mild street motor, thats what they were designed for..i love them i have the dual spring heads (some were single) they work great for street mild strip, i am considering a lt1 motor so these might be available soon, they are not made any more but parts are readily available from tfs and many parts suppliers...what would you be willing to pay? i might pull them sooner.....
Old 07-28-2005, 09:51 PM

Last photo:

It is still going to be some time before I actually get around to assembling the engine. Im kinda in the "planning" stages right now and have been working a lot of overtime to be able to afford it too.
Old 07-28-2005, 10:01 PM
Short changed on common sense

Last photo:

I have a set of the Track Heat version of the Twisted Wedge heads. They are for small block Ford. They are very nice heads and gave my car more power than it can handle.
Old 07-29-2005, 02:54 PM

Last photo:

I have a set of the Trick Flow Twisted Wedge heads on the 350 in my street rod. It's a relatively mild motor and I've never had a problem with these heads, except that a standard Chevy valve cover doesn't seem to fit quite right. I don't think these heads are being made anymore.

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.