Hot Rod Forum banner

chevy v-6 problem

1K views 3 replies 4 participants last post by  hotrodit 
#1 ·
This question is about my daily driver which is driving me crazy. For some odd reason, coolant keeps disappearing. No leaks can be found. Also, no coolant in the oil and no oil in the coolant. The "service engine soon light" is also popping on once engine is warm. Also, checked the inside of the tail pipe to see if it was green from burning coolant and it is not. This is of course a smog equipped ride and is a 94 chevy baretta with the small v6, not the 4.3. Ive tried all other sources and am hoping to run into someone out there that has some ideas where the coolant is going. Were talking a couple quarts weekly.

#3 ·
I assume you did the obvious and look for gas bubbles in the radiator. When the engine is up to operting temp., check the hoses for a pinhole leak. I had a car once with your problem and a hose had a leak so small that the water evaproated before it hit anything or had a chance to puddle anywhere. Only leaked under pressure. Weirdest thing I ever saw. Also, if your car has a plastic overflow tank, does it have a leak?

#4 ·
Try a pressure tester on the cooling system or maybe if you have access to an emmision tester hold probe just above coolant level run engine at cruise rpm, this should pick up any leaks between cooling system & cylinder, careful taking the rad cap off though but i guess you already know that!
Let us know what you find, :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.