Chevy V8 Crankshaft Flange Outside Diameter - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2013, 07:32 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chevy V8 Crankshaft Flange Outside Diameter

Does anyone have access to a print of a V8 Chevy crankshaft? We're working on a project and I need the OD of the crankshaft flange. Also, How often has this dimension changed? Is an SJ crank flange OD any different than a LJ crankshaft OD, and what about BBC's; 409s and LS motors? I called my favorite engine shop, but hes closed for Fathers Day weekend. I have a 283 crank in the shop, but I can't leave the office for the 90 minute round trip.

Help a brother out?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-14-2013, 08:24 AM

Last photo:

Are you talking about a 1 pice Rear Main Seal crank flange? The 2 pice RMS cranks had a flange that wasnt round is all. This changed for my 1986.

The bolt circle on 1985 and older cranks was 3.58, for the 1986+ 1 piece RMS cranks teh bolt circle is 3"

peace
Hog
Old 06-14-2013, 09:07 AM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
Does anyone have access to a print of a V8 Chevy crankshaft? We're working on a project and I need the OD of the crankshaft flange. Also, How often has this dimension changed? Is an SJ crank flange OD any different than a LJ crankshaft OD, and what about BBC's; 409s and LS motors? I called my favorite engine shop, but hes closed for Fathers Day weekend. I have a 283 crank in the shop, but I can't leave the office for the 90 minute round trip.

Help a brother out?
I have an old 2 piece RMS 350 crank at the house. If no one answers your question I can measure later today when I get home from work.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:52 AM

Last photo:

Essentially; we need to bolt a plate on the back of the engine and need a hole of sufficient diameter to attach the powertrain. Something like a 'block saver' used with a scattershield. So I need the outside diameter of the crank flange. The bolt circle definitely helps; I can throw say 5.5" on the print and just change it later...if I remember LOL
Old 06-14-2013, 10:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoGear View Post
Essentially; we need to bolt a plate on the back of the engine and need a hole of sufficient diameter to attach the powertrain. Something like a 'block saver' used with a scattershield. So I need the outside diameter of the crank flange. The bolt circle definitely helps; I can throw say 5.5" on the print and just change it later...if I remember LOL
im no longer at the shop but i have the specs on a white board. its an important number for sprint car engines, i cam get the radius but since its not round, not a diameter.
i do know it depends on what you are working on. a cast 350 crank and a stock forged 350 crank are different. let me know what it is and i should have a crank on the shelf i could measure.
Old 06-14-2013, 10:35 PM
More machine than man

Last journal entry: bwaahhaahahaaahhaa
Last photo:

GM crank, 2 piece RMS, casting number 3932442...I measured 3.25" from the center of the pilot bearing to the edge of the flange.

From Mortec
3932442..267,305,350..cast...medium journal...3.48" stroke

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.