Chevy van column in a 56 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Suspension - Brakes - Steering
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2003, 08:58 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Post Chevy van column in a 56

HI New to this site I am installing a 605 PS box in my 56 Iam using a chevy van tilt column.I am needing some help on modifing the column I cant figure out how to tear it down to modify it if anybody has any information i would greatly appreciate the help MANY THANKS

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-31-2003, 07:00 PM

How far do you want to tear it down?
Old 04-02-2003, 02:10 AM

I really need to take it completely apart to shorten the shaft and the inner and outer tubes I have it down to just below the turnsignal plate and thats it.
Old 04-02-2003, 03:28 PM

I will look for my book that shows an exploded view of the tilt column so you can tear it down.

Couldn't you just remove the lower bearing support, drive out the shifter arm, cut the outer column and then trim the inner shaft to fit without messing with the tilt column?

Joe

Off to look for the exploded view of the column..
Old 04-03-2003, 01:51 AM

Hey Thanks for your reply.The reason I am tearig it down is because I just thought thats how it was done I have no idea The post i have read on other sites talk about tearing it apart to modify it. also i would like to to cut a section out of the steering shaft and retain the splined end if that is possible. also I have a 700r4 transmission with a column shift that i want to keep a column shift and still use the original shift indicator .any help will greatly appreciated.also what do you think of the 605 boxes that they sell at Mc gaulys I see them advertised all the time in super chevy.
Old 04-03-2003, 05:04 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

In my 57 wagon I installed the 605 conversion that I got from Danchuck, I think it is the same one that Mcgaughys. However I used the Ididit column.
Old 04-03-2003, 06:46 AM

Talking

Hound dog, I've used several column shift/no key chevy van columns.I did on one occassion cut the splines off and use a pinned DD shaft.I still have the car and no sign of problems.Many years ago Street Rodder magazine did a tech article on dissasembly and shortening of one, probably early 80,s.I'm sure I have it if you are really serious.Around here these columns sell for about $100 to 150, if you can find one.I am building another 40 Ford,but I will not try to locate another van column, I'll buy an after market.My guess is any left out there are really trashed and you could end up with close to the same dollars invested.Thats my thoughts.I will find the article if you are serious.
Old 04-04-2003, 12:21 AM

Hey thanks for the replies I found a column last week it is in great shape I gave 60 bucks and i had to take it out of the van. that was fairly simple I have it torn down to just below the turn signal plate and thats it cant seem to figure how to go any farther. as far as the 605 box from mc gaughys i was wondeeeering about the mount that comes with it any problem with twisting or flexing. Thanks Hound dog 56
Old 04-04-2003, 04:57 AM
Rebuilt Excitment

Last photo:

I have had my 605 box in for a couple of years and have not have any problems, a buddy of mine used the mcgaughy system and also has not had any problems, It is a very easy conversion, just unbolt the three bolts that hold the original in the car you even use the original steering arm from the bottom of the orignal box. I am next going to add some serious size sway bars to the front and rear of the old wagon not the wimpy 3/4 or 7/8 units, I want at least a 1 1/8 to 1 1/4 inch units, I like to go around curves.
Old 04-05-2003, 01:56 AM

Hey EBlack36 thanks for the reply.My concern if the mounting bracket flexes, also I like the idea about the sway bars.Also still looking for any info on how to modify the chevy van column.THANKS

Recent Suspension - Brakes - Steering posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.