Chevy Volt - just so you know - Page 10 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 03:22 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Wow, was I off base or what the hell is going on here. Deck said. "It couldn't hurt to bone up a bit on the current EV market because I would imagine the head of HR at Tesla is as fanatical about this new industry as I am." to me referring to my comment on going over to Tesla looking for a job.

As it is clear by this thread I know NOTHING about the late electric car technology. I responded with "You noticed I had jumped off the technology train a while ago".

A poke at myself for the obvious lack of knowledge in the late model electric car technology.

Deck responded with "No I didn't notice and not quite sure what you mean?"

Which I thought was a kind remark like he hadn't noticed I was as clueless as a humming bird about electric car technology.

I then said "You're too nice." responding to Decks polite response.

Is this what just happened or am I sitting here trying to figure out who's on first?

Brian

As I said I could be wrong...
I have been a time or two..
Your safe Brian !!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31.gif
Views:	43
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	60199  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 03:23 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Brian,

Start off with some lite reading, in forum format so you can join in. The Tesla's competition, a Leaf forum.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/index.ph...ad52697cc39811

And volt forum

http://gm-volt.com/forum/index.php

Then of course the back yard mechanic's EV site. I have three vehicles here

http://evalbum.com/

I'm not a member here, but should include a Tesla forum
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/

A lot more to come if interested.

Bob
Old 11-26-2011, 03:23 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Couldn't agree more !!! We live in a time of unbridled greed from a lot of different sectors, banks, wall street, our own government, it is hard not to become cynical in today's greed infested climate.

Bob

Very true..
Old 11-26-2011, 03:52 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Brian,

Instead of having to hand pick from the more technical groups I participate in, maybe just a few items all EV R&D folks speak fluently.

Think of that tasty PIE. P (power in watts) = I (current in amps) X E (electromotive force, volts)

So, if you have a controller that can handle 360 volts at 500 amps, that is 180Kw. 180,000 watts divided by 746 watts per hp gives 241.3 hp at 100% efficiency.

For energy storage, lets say your battery bank consists of (120) 3.2 volt, 200 a/hr cells. Bank voltage is 384 volts and bank capacity is 76.8 Kw/hr. Now lets assume your car can cover 1 mile on an average consumption of 250 watt/hr per mile, then that battery pack could propel your car 307 miles before 100% DOD (depth of discharged, which is used a lot talking EVs). I have tons more if interested. If during an interview you show a working understanding of the above and some other concepts, you might wind up working in R&D instead of production. I have before my 2nd stint in college worked in a number of R&D labs, and the work is more stimulating and rewarding than production.

Bob
Old 11-26-2011, 04:16 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Brian,

I went ahead and joined the Tesla forum and low and behold came across this thread.....

http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/showt...r-Tesla-Motors.

I'm going back to read it now.

Bob
Old 11-26-2011, 05:40 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

The Tesla Model S at your service, courtesy of the Fremont Plant. Here is your 300+ mile range electric car at a price less than a CTS-V Caddy.

Forgot that folks with kids can use this cool looking sedan as a mini-van, seating 7.

And you still get a trunk up front.

All your batteries, motor, controller, are as low as you can get them because no self respecting EV owner would tolerate being out cornered by a Bimmer.

And this, some of you may not care for, but I have wondered why Detroit hasn't offered it, and that is no switches, everything touchscreen, and configurable to the drivers taste. Don't like how the gauges display information, you can change to suit you. Also, no switches to fail, that is why I like my iphone and ipad.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:05 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

ok, so less than $66k? how many Americans can afford a $50-60k Vehicle?

Technology is still too far off to be completly mainstream, and battery costs will always be a factor in high costs. A Volt or any of the Hybrids is as close as most americans will get... I'm a person who likes technology, but everything touch is not even remotely practical
Old 11-26-2011, 06:21 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt167
ok, so less than $66k? how many Americans can afford a $50-60k Vehicle?

Technology is still too far off to be completly mainstream, and battery costs will always be a factor in high costs. A Volt or any of the Hybrids is as close as most americans will get... I'm a person who likes technology, but everything touch is not even remotely practical
Enough can afford it so economies of scale for future offerings will bring in the masses. Did you buy a HDTV flat screen when they were $2500, or did you wait 2 years to get one for $500?

I forgot, this is a hot rod forum, so here is the "engine".
Old 11-26-2011, 06:59 PM

Last wiki edit: Ford axle ratio codes
Last journal entry: Rear Suspension
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 31

As I said, EV is still too far off at this point, just somthing nice to dream about. Sure they may get cheaper, but how much cheaper can those batteries get? given the amount of rare earths they use/ depleat, tells me they may even get more expensive, especially if the demand goes up. I understand that EV's would use 1 or 2 sets of batteries at a max in the entire life of the vehicle, but that initial cost would be figured into the cost of the vehicle.

The Tesla would have to drop $30k to become affordable to most, and the Volt, has to drop about $5k. The $7,500 rebate on them is a band aid.... none of this even considers the cost of the electricity to charge them, which thru my research is 15 KWH...

I'm not saying these will never become an economical solution for all, but for right now, and the forseeable future, they are not.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:22 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Matt167,

I like it that you are at least interested in cars that aren't far off in the future as other's would believe. As to your question on batteries and their life span, currently in the 400,000~500,000 mile range before degrading to 80% of their new capacity. As for touch screens for everything, I'm all for it. My V, that even though I've had for about 4 months, I've only driven on trips and around 15 days total out of 120 days and I have not gotten to know all the switches and buttons. At least 1/2 of the car's functions can be addressed via the pop-up touch screen, and this was so intuitive that I learned it easy. We are all getting used to the commonly used symbols of our computers and if you are an ipad user, it is ALL touchscreen. Instead of fumbling around an unfamiliar dashboard, I much prefer the familiar landscape of a touchscreen.
Old 11-26-2011, 07:29 PM

Last photo:

I have one question... Do you have everyone convinced over on your site to go out and buy one of these cars ??? I don't see you there pushing it as hard as you are here..

Because I see you are sure trying your hardest to sell one to everyone here..

You know I see this car pushing a lot of people out of business.. Mom and pop shops will have to start all over IF they can even afford too..

And as far as no switch's to go out.... That just tell's me the everyday guy can't fix what will go out.... And believe me it will... Touch screen... Boy!!!! I bet that will be cheap to replace.. Or are you going to say this car will never break... Yea right !!!

And when you run out of juice on your trip a long side the road.. What then... Do you have to sit at a station for four hour's to get charged back up..

I really think they need to stick to flying cars... I think they both or in the same sinking boat..

Man.. You sure seem to be pushing this hard here...(VERY DETERMINE TO SELL SOMETHING) Not sure if it's just me noticing this..
Old 11-26-2011, 07:38 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,076 Times in 959 Posts
I think what he is "pushing" is an open mind. That and a very interesting subject. This car is DAMN interesting in my opinion, and it's made in America, (in my home town no less) but honestly, it's good for America anyway you look at it. I think he is pushing it because the subject came up in this thread. He has never mentioned before that I can remember any super love of electrics or hate of the oil industry. Never before remember ANYTHING being mentioned and I am blown away to hear that he has the Smart car, again, never mentioned that I can remember.

Just some super interesting talk about an interesting car. I am damn glad I have learned Bob's interest and knowledge in this subject.

Brian
Old 11-26-2011, 07:42 PM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	head-in-the-sand.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	10.3 KB
ID:	60203  
Old 11-26-2011, 07:46 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

Crash tests

Do these burn also like the Volt?/ what about crash tests? where are the stats for that?
Old 11-26-2011, 07:47 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Thank you Brian for those kind words and your 100% correct. I have no agenda for promoting EVs, as I mentioned, no investments in either the cars or the batteries. I do however like to share any of my automotive interests with like minded souls. If me, as a devout gearhead, learned about a car like the Tesla Model S from my non-car guy neighbor who just bought one, I'd feel a bit sheepish by not already knowing about it.

Bob

Tags
electric car, volt

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.