Chevy Volt - just so you know - Page 11 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 08:48 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Well !!!! I can promise you this... If you think for one Min this will save the world... Think again... Yes you may knock down the big Oil industry's with this.. And stop the demand for oil... But what will you be creating next... The big rich men on top will get their hands in this and you will have to play BIG $$$$ some how.... So Your cutting off one arm for the other... You will save NOTHING in the long run... Wake up People...Push even more people out of work .... That should really help America...

And you say you enjoy working on cars... YEA RIGHT !!! You will be lucky if you will even be able to change the tires ANYMORE...

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 08:50 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,323 Times in 1,148 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Thank you Brian for those kind words and your 100% correct. I have no agenda for promoting EVs, as I mentioned, no investments in either the cars or the batteries. I do however like to share any of my automotive interests with like minded souls. If me, as a devout gearhead, learned about a car like the Tesla Model S from my non-car guy neighbor who just bought one, I'd feel a bit sheepish by not already knowing about it.

Bob
Yeah Bob, I think we have talked enough about how to get 900 hp out of a 305 Chevy and how to swap a 1998 Ford F150 frame under a model A. This is damn interesting and I hope to see more of it.

Brian
Old 11-26-2011, 08:52 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Yeah Bob, I think we have talked enough about how to get 900 hp out of a 305 Chevy and how to swap a 1998 Ford F150 frame under a model A. This is damn interesting and I hope to see more of it.

Brian

You would..
Old 11-26-2011, 08:55 PM

Last photo:

Randy, you know I hate the late model stuff, I have no interest what so ever in a 2012 Camaro, so you would think I also would despise this Tesla but damn it's interesting. And like my computer I have had to learn about it, changed the hard drive by myself a while ago, and damn proud of myself. That Tesla, it isn't going to be in my driveway. But maybe something else? Maybe a homebuilt sports car that's electric? For a long time I have wanted to built a Lambo looking car from scratch, maybe I will and it will be electric, who knows? All I know is it's interesting.

Brian
Old 11-26-2011, 08:56 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Well !!!! I can promise you this... If you think for one Min this will save the world... Think again... Yes you may knock down the big Oil industry's with this.. And stop the demand for oil... But what will you be creating next... The big rich men on top will get their hands in this and you will have to play BIG $$$$ some how.... So Your cutting off one arm for the other... You will save NOTHING in the long run... Wake up People...Push even more people out of work .... That should really help America...

And you say you enjoy working on cars... YEA RIGHT !!! You will be lucky if you will even be able to change the tires ANYMORE...
The beauty of electric, if some fat cat wants to gouge you for electricity, you as an end user have the power (no pun intended) to roll your own, unlike the inability to produce gasoline. Electrical energy storage and production is available now to anyone, so the power companies are aware that unlike the oil companies, they can not gouge you for what ever amount they want for their product.

Bob
Old 11-26-2011, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Brian,

Start off with some lite reading, in forum format so you can join in. The Tesla's competition, a Leaf forum.

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/index.ph...ad52697cc39811

And volt forum

http://gm-volt.com/forum/index.php

Then of course the back yard mechanic's EV site. I have three vehicles here

http://evalbum.com/

I'm not a member here, but should include a Tesla forum
http://www.teslamotorsclub.com/

A lot more to come if interested.

Bob
I added a new folder in my favorites, "Electric cars".

Brian
Old 11-26-2011, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Randy, you know I hate the late model stuff, I have no interest what so ever in a 2012 Camaro, so you would think I also would despise this Tesla but damn it's interesting. And like my computer I have had to learn about it, changed the hard drive by myself a while ago, and damn proud of myself. That Tesla, it isn't going to be in my driveway. But maybe something else? Maybe a homebuilt sports car that's electric? For a long time I have wanted to built a Lambo looking car from scratch, maybe I will and it will be electric, who knows? All I know is it's interesting.

Brian

That's fine..I'm just looking at the people that it will hurt in the long run..That's all..
Old 11-26-2011, 09:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The beauty of electric, if some fat cat wants to gouge you for electricity, you as an end user have the power (no pun intended) to roll your own, unlike the inability to produce gasoline. Electrical energy storage and production is available now to anyone, so the power companies are aware that unlike the oil companies, they can not gouge you for what ever amount they want for their product.

Bob
My boss is putting solar on his house and expects (with info from a designer friend) to have a meter running backwards selling power to the PG&E!

Brian
Old 11-26-2011, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
That's fine..I'm just looking at the people that it will hurt in the long run..That's all..
People are going to adapt.

Brian
Old 11-26-2011, 09:03 PM

Last photo:

Quote:

Bob
You think so... We will see what happen when it's all you WILL need....Just like oil.... We don't have different Electrical companies to chose from.. You know what that will mean... They will be able to sell it for what ever they want too.... One guy own's what you want.. He can name his own price... Kinda like the big oil men..

Be ready for your change...I'm done..
Old 11-26-2011, 09:44 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Wait why are electric cars such as the Tesla going to put people out of business? Are you thinking about all the jobs mainstream electric cars could create as well?

There are a few people running the Tesla S who simply run enough solar power to charge their car. They're not trying to live "off the grid" by any means, but a few panels on the roof of the garage would do it.

I considered putting a down payment on a Tesla this year, but was uneasy in that they weren't finished with the design, and didn't want to end up buying a car that was going to look different a year from now.
Old 11-26-2011, 09:49 PM

Last photo:

This is very true. If electrics were to replace gas right now, gas was gone, oh heck yes many people would be hurt, more than helped because the manufacturers dealers would be doing most the work. But over the long haul as the days, years and decades go by and let's say in a few decades there were 20% electric on the road, this is a ludicrous idea of course being it won't be anywhere near that at the rate it is going but lets say that in 20 years there are 20% electric, that won't do one friggin thing to the job market, not a friggin thing OTHER than create a new industry for people.

Brian
Old 11-26-2011, 09:49 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
You think so... We will see what happen when it's all you WILL need....Just like oil.... We don't have different Electrical companies to chose from.. You know what that will mean... They will be able to sell it for what ever they want too.... One guy own's what you want.. He can name his own price... Kinda like the big oil men..

Be ready for your change...I'm done..
Randy,

That is what I'm trying to say, for the first time NOBODY will be able to extort you for your energy needs. Because of competition from China you can now purchase solar cells for $1.13 per watt. Also due to power companies storing wind and solar energy to be used later, you are able to buy single cell 2 volt agm batteries of 700 a/hr capacity for under $200 per cell. Current price of a very powerful, full sine wave inverter that can run your home is now less than $5000. You put this together, and you not only will never have another electric bill, but your "fuel" needs for personal transportation will come from your own production.

Last edited by deckofficer; 11-26-2011 at 10:01 PM.
Old 11-26-2011, 10:14 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
My boss is putting solar on his house and expects (with info from a designer friend) to have a meter running backwards selling power to the PG&E!

Brian
I don't want to start a flame war due to California not being a favored state on this forum but that is another example of forward thinking in this state. All the power companies must purchase all available green energy produced in this state. After my stint in the oil industry, I learned the hard way to keep what state I lived in from my colleagues. They still blame California for forcing the conversion to unleaded fuel in 1971. It is impossible to determine how many lives nation wide have been saved over 4 decades by removing the lead from gasoline.
Old 11-26-2011, 11:07 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Touch screens

Unlike others, I have a VERY strong preference for knobs to control such things as wipers, lights, HVAC controls etc. I can identify the knob by touch (esp if they are all differently-shaped) without having to look at the screen.

When you drive various makes of cars, of varying ages, with controls all laid out differently, it is nice to be able to know that the rocker switch is lights, the round knob is wipers, the triangle one is HVAC fan, etc.

As a side note - do car designers have contests to see who can hide switches best? There is NOTHING as much fun as getting into a rental, at night, and spending 10 min trying to find the wiper switch and the headlight switch, the windshield defogger etc before you can even leave the rental lot!

If the highway safety folks want to have a real impact on safety, they should standardize all the main controls as to location and shape!

Tags
electric car, volt

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.