Chevy Volt - just so you know - Page 12 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 11:23 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

hiring

I stopped and read the link posted by DeckOfficer

I agree with SOME of the views expressed, here and on that site

I have had to hire folks for various positions over the years and in hiring I'd want a well-rounded person. I do not want someone who "memorized the textbook and puked it back on command" - I always wanted someone who could THINK for themselves. I did not want someone who thought watching "survivor" was their main hobby outside of work.

I very recently read (somewhere) a quote along the lines of "I hired you as an engineer because you went to school. It taught you to think. The very first time you quote a professor or text to me, I'll fire you because you are NOT thinking for yourself! "

That pretty much sums my own attitude to hiring and why I was able to build a VERY high-performance team of individuals who's work complemented each others and who could be relied upon to do the best job of any in our field.

Yes, I can see why Tesla would want someone with 'outside interests"

Given 2 candidates with similar scores and degrees, I'd take the hotrodder over the one who sings in the church choir-at least i would have a car guy on board, who can see the need to make more power, get better range, make it handle & stop better, ride better, etc.

Electric vs gas engine? Still the same expectations on the part of the buyer- reliable, economical, can get up & go - merge into freeway traffic, etc, and stop without hitting the dumptruck in front of you.

The marketing gurus will tell you what color to paint it, whether leather or cloth seats are "in" and how good the stereo should be. The battery techs will work on range and power outputs to the "engine" as well as temperature controls for the battery packs. The elec motor gurus will work on efficiency of propulsion, but we still need the hotrodders to take all this make it into a CAR!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 11:24 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave57210
If the highway safety folks want to have a real impact on safety, they should standardize all the main controls as to location and shape!
I wonder what 'they' would devise for control placement/ergonomics? I pale at the thought, personally.
Old 11-27-2011, 12:50 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Anybody remember Joan Claybrook, head of NTSB almost 30 years ago? She believed and mandated that speedometers should only go to 85 MPH, and that would save lives. Lets not have them decide our operating layout.
Old 11-27-2011, 08:08 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

I believe Joan of Claybrook was also the dim bulb who caused the proliferation of those damnable "bots dots" all over hells half-acre. A real fun thing for those of us who were two-wheeling at the time.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:41 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I have been reading through this thread for a few days now and I have seen a big difference in opinion as to wether or not electric is a good or bad thing.
Some of you guys downright despise it.
My thoughts (if anyone really cares) is that big oil wont go away anytime soon, so our beloved hotrods are safe for at least 50-75 years.
Electric cars are not the answer to the whole problem, but are a part of the answer.

I read one post that suggested that the car should be charged at off peak hours , makes perfect sense.
Using the car for daily commute makes great sense, but an electric wouldnt be a good Idea to cross the country to grammas house.
I know it takes an electric power plant to charge an electric car,even if you burn coal or nat gas to make electricity, it is way more efficient and clean to do it on a large scale, than it is to burn gas in a car on an idividual basis. A few of the reason s are ICE requires a warmup to be as efficient as possible,starting off from a light requires a lot more fuel than cruise speeds.
A power plant is allways "warmed up" so no issue there.
Could they make coal burn cleaner....You bet your sweet bippy.The technology just needs to work and be cost effective.This needs to happen too, but hopefully it is done as a private enterprise cause we all know what the government will do to it if they get there hands on it. Solyndra... all over again.
Using the energy stored in the car to assist the grid in high demand times of the day is a good idea, but I think that homes should be doing that with its own stand alone system, leaving the car with a full charge regardless.
getting elecricity from photovoltaic or wind is a good Idea but neither one is cost effective.
CNG is available in honda cars and can be fit to any vehicle. Back in the 80s when I worked in New Mexico, my boss had an F 250 that ran on CNG.
Back then the cost per mile was a little better on CNG than gas, I doubt it is anymore , BUT the whole point was that there is an alternative, after all a lot of the time it isnt as important how you get there, its just important to get there( like work , grocerie store, Napa etc.)
Electric cars are a lot like Camel Filters, they arent for everybody.....lets hope they dont try to be.
There has been research going on about chemicaless batteries (capacitance) and it is a good direction to look, but My opinion is that this is in its infancy and probably wont be cost effective any time soon.It would solve the "what to do with the batteries" issue I see a lot here.
I believe in recycling, anything that recycles, period. If it cant be recycled then it needs quarantined or chemical neutralization.
The gasoline cars are very clean and consumers have paid the price for cleaner air through the price of there vehicles, i saw a photo of the air in LA back in 1975 another in 2009, the difference was amazing. The air was very clear and clean looking in the 2009 picture.
If nothing would have been done, you wouldnt be able to see LA if you were in LA.
I am like a lot of people, we naturally tend to resist change.I have found that some change is good, not all change is good though as I am sure you have all seen the past few years.We all need to have the freedom to choose gas or electric if we want based on our lifestyle and budget, no one wants to be told what to do.
I think an electric motorcycle would be a hoot to drive to work and back, I am just not sure I would like the pric thats all.
My 64 goes on the road this coming spring after the snow is long gone. It needs to burn some Gas, I need to cruise man.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:05 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

LA has cleaned up a lot during the time frame you mentioned, and as you pointed out it was due to cars becoming cleaner. If you think you might want an electric motorcycle, there are some really nice ones available, from sport-bikes to motocross. The Tesla S has so many orders with deposits, I would be surprised if any will be left after the first year's production run. My Dad is 92 and remembers when electrics were more popular than gas, and now he gets to witness the resurgence of electrics all in his lifetime.
Old 11-27-2011, 07:46 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,326 Times in 1,150 Posts
I have a customer who bought a cheap Chinese sport bike and made it electric. His range is very short, twenty miles or something like that as I remember.

Brian
Old 11-27-2011, 08:25 PM
my KARMA ran over my DOGMA

Last journal entry: SS
Last photo:

It all needs to start some place, I think the electric car is feasible but it will take many years and lots of lawyers to fend off big oil for the electric car to find its place.

I just heard on CNN that the volt can be dangerous in an accident, that maybe the batteries can explode? oh gosh like I said so can 20 gallons of gasoline and there are millions of internal combustion cars on the road why is the press reporting this? maybe big oil donates to CNN too

I would like to think that there will come a day when more wind and solar power as well as any other "free" power make there way onto the grid. Add to this these electric cars, it will be like traveling power cells, each one part of a huge mobile grid transferring power from those cars/batteries that are fully charged into the ones that are in need of a charge, all you need to do is plug in when you are parked, your on the grid. Maybe a solar array on each roof? think of how many cars sit in the sun all day
Old 11-27-2011, 09:55 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Custom10
Maybe a solar array on each roof? think of how many cars sit in the sun all day

That's not far off. Solar technology has advanced A LOT in the past few years. They can print solar cells on something as thin as toilet paper now. Soon, they'll be able to put it into the car paint itself, and make every surface of the vehicle an absorber of solar energy. Imagine having all the glass of a building lined with solar cells. Hell, even the roads/street posts. I think solar energy can answer a LOT of today's energy demands, we just have to find a non-intrusive way to proliferate it. And I think technology will find it. Heck, they even have solar clothing now with build in cells so you can charge your phone in your pocket as you walk.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-02-solar.html
Old 11-27-2011, 10:13 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Before someone jumps in about Solardyne and wasted tax dollars, need to clear the air on this one. Solardyne was conceived during the time of $5 per watt to the end user. Thanks to China, retail prices are as low as $1.13 per watt now. Hard to stay in business when the selling price of your product takes such a hit in such a short time.

Bob
Old 11-27-2011, 11:44 PM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

News article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siggy_Freud
That's not far off. Solar technology has advanced A LOT in the past few years. They can print solar cells on something as thin as toilet paper now. Soon, they'll be able to put it into the car paint itself, and make every surface of the vehicle an absorber of solar energy. Imagine having all the glass of a building lined with solar cells. Hell, even the roads/street posts. I think solar energy can answer a LOT of today's energy demands, we just have to find a non-intrusive way to proliferate it. And I think technology will find it. Heck, they even have solar clothing now with build in cells so you can charge your phone in your pocket as you walk.

http://www.physorg.com/news/2011-02-solar.html
Actually, I was reading something in the paper this morning about a Toronto company that has developed "paint-on" solar cells!
Old 11-27-2011, 11:48 PM

Last photo:

Ahhhh http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Pai...591/story.html interesting.

Brian
Old 11-27-2011, 11:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Before someone jumps in about Solardyne and wasted tax dollars, need to clear the air on this one. Solardyne was conceived during the time of $5 per watt to the end user. Thanks to China, retail prices are as low as $1.13 per watt now. Hard to stay in business when the selling price of your product takes such a hit in such a short time.

Bob
Personally I believe Solyndra's half a million dollar theft had more to do with a combination between the felonious and the incompetence of our government than anything in China.

Brian
Old 11-28-2011, 12:08 AM
bentwings

Last photo:

Well so much for the $10k paint job. It will now be $15k with the paintable solar cell paint.

It will be anti reflective so unless adding pearl to dark gray primer is cool and becomes the norm fancy paint will be out.

Part of streetrod license and registration will be inspection to make sure you have enough solar cell area to charge the battery for you hybred electric motor.
Old 11-28-2011, 12:17 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentwings
Well so much for the $10k paint job. It will now be $15k with the paintable solar cell paint.

It will be anti reflective so unless adding pearl to dark gray primer is cool and becomes the norm fancy paint will be out.

Part of streetrod license and registration will be inspection to make sure you have enough solar cell area to charge the battery for you hybred electric motor.
I wouldn't worry about it. Given the number of laws current hotrods get to bypass, I doubt anyone will be mandating solar paint anytime soon.

Tags
electric car, volt

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.