Chevy Volt - just so you know - Page 13 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2011, 11:17 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Personally I believe Solyndra's half a million dollar theft had more to do with a combination between the felonious and the incompetence of our government than anything in China.

Brian
Whatever the case may be, lets keep the focus of the thread and not make this a political debate.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Old 11-28-2011, 04:47 AM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

Regardless if 'solar paint' were to become a mandate or just used by those so inclined, it would be applied to the top surfaces- hood, roof, trunk. That leaves the sides, front and back for artistic expression. If I were a painter I would welcome the challenge.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-28-2011, 11:23 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

I think the Aptera will be using on it's top surfaces solar cells to power a small HVAC unit to keep the cabin at a comfortable temperature summer or winter when parked. Not only will this be nice for the passengers and driver upon entering the car, it will reduce the load on the main HVAC unit, thus saving battery energy. If you want to see something that looks totally futuristic, check them out. Their facility is about 20 miles from my vacation residence in SoCal.

I just went to their website, haven't been there for a year and something is up!! You will find NO pictures, so I guess it has changed a lot. I'm going to try and find some of their earlier models.

I found them and got back in time that the 30 minute "edit" timer didn't run out on me.

I remember one of their test mules was outfitted with a small diesel engine and at 65 mph on level highways would return over 200 mpg. The electric mule had the lowest watt/hour per mile consumption I have ever seen.

I forgot to mention that the rear end, though radical, really cuts wind drag and allows a surf board to fit inside. This is Southern California after all.

Bob
Old 12-01-2011, 03:34 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

Just so you know all sides

AP news just had news that GM announced it will buy back any Volt from customers who are afraid it will catch fire and burn up... hmmmm seems GM knows about this also
Old 12-01-2011, 05:39 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

The most recent release regarding a buy-back or loaner car- http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_1...earful-owners/
Old 12-01-2011, 06:04 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
The most recent release regarding a buy-back or loaner car- http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-505145_1...earful-owners/
Good read thanks for posting that link. I think any company would've responded the same way. That is the best way to deal with a slightly slanted press release of potential battery fires in the Volt. The way the people talk on the Volt forum, I doubt if any one of those guys would give up their Volt. I know my neighbor that has the Volt almost gets giddy when he describes his 104 mile round trip down to Sacramento each day and he consumed 6/100 of a gallon of gasoline for the trip.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:45 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

Good for GM

I have a Ford Windstar and it has a fire hazard with the ABS breaking system dripping brake fluid on a 40 amp circuit just beneath the leak. Ford has not corrected the faulty part yet i had to pull the 2 40 amp fuses so it wont short out. I have found out it is the ECM electronic Control module it has a large aluminum plate under the circuit board that gets hot and cracks the printed circuit among other brake problems.
Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 AM
the Clever Turn Signal

Last photo:

I LOVE the idea that electric cars, solar technology etc is being developed more. Much of the Radio controlled car and airplane industry as well as small gadget industry really kicked much of this off.

I think HOWEVER, comparisons made have not been apples to apples.

If you buy an electric car to replace a gas car, you spend $60-70k for a car?

What support systems at home are still required; a dry garage, an electrical set up to support the charging, etc. On top of the added expense how many people across this nation have garages and could not even fit a car in it because they use it for storage.

It may not be oil, but it's still coal powered. Solar panels have a long way to go to be viable. First their rated output is based on ideal sun conditions and still rarely reach the rated output. Second, windmills have some successful installments but world wide they are coming down as fast as they are going up because the output less then expectations and maintenance cost has outweighed their production. Companies putting up windmills are now finding that land holding groups want contracts to REQUIRE the windmill companies to guarantee windmill removal if the windmills do not work out. Many people are being upset the windmills are just being left behind when they don't work out.

I'll never forget visiting a hot roder friend who spent several thousand dollars building a windmill with a whole bank of batteries which he had already replaced once. I asked if it worked. His face lit up like a Christmas tree "OH YES IT WORKS!!! On a windy day it will light this 75watt light bulb!!!" With a fake smile I said "awesome" not to hurt his feelings. A years worth of electricity money spent to light a light bulb when the wind was good.

More at the money aspect.

The government is discussing legislation to tax electric cars or cars in general differently. Electric cars are not paying the road tax; but they will eventually.

The government has invested heavily in electric cars. With out the government funding, how much would the the $65k car be?

When I was a kid I had a $500 car. When it did not run well I pulled over and put pencils in the broken vacuum lines to make it run reasonable. Now my kid has a $5000 car (because anything cheaper just required too much to keep it going) we had issues we had to sort out with an OBD reader, new catalytic converter, new chip, already $1500 in the car and we still get error codes.

When we are all forced to buy electric cars I see my grandchild buying a $15,000 electric, buying another $5,000 in batteries and being told if they are not disposed correctly they will got o jail.

I don't mean to be negative but I don't think the general push is apples to oranges.

Let me be clear. I am ALL FOR a natural progression of advancement as it seems to develop in un expected ways as the markets so desires. When t does, the solutions are far better then a government driven solution.

I fully believe electrics are and will develop on their own but their niche may not be what we expect.

First cars and trucks use %50 of the oil. Cars make up about %25. Making an improvement in the 25% is not a complete solution...not that there is problem moving in that direction but the realistic nature of the impact must be understood. There are other things to look at as well. We are sitting on one of the worlds largest natural gas deposits and it seems to be ignored.

Electrical applications are developing on their own and I welcome it. One of our clients make electric coal mine cars; very cool. I do think it has a long way to go before it can replace the car for anything more then what a golf cart can do for a car; especially when you look at the cost and the impact of say batteries and snuffing out viable business due to forced legislation.

I personally think we will need to come up with a capacitor to replace the batteries or perhaps a roadway electric grid. The batteries are an achelies heal.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Semper Gumby

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

Volts

X 2 (what Gow said)
Old 12-17-2011, 10:36 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

The Tesla Model S will have 300+ mile range, 7 passenger, 0~60 in 4.6 seconds and cost LESS than the CTS-V I just bought. At my vacation residence I have a stake bed truck and Smart Electric Car, both of course 100% electric that are both charged by stored solar energy. So as the naysayers keep saying how it can't be done, I've been doing it for the last 4 years.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Guys, all of these are good thoughts, and many people share them. As far as how much it costs, like you said ALL "late model cars" cost more and are more complex. The Leaf we had at the shop was not one bit more complex (probably less) than any other 2011 car in the shop.

On the government subsidies, yes there has been some encouragement to pursue some alternates to fossil fuel. The country is full of husbands that if not for the encouragement of a roll in the sack by their wives they wouldn't dump the trash.

Let's put aside our love of the internal combustion engine, the sight of a polished aluminum 392 and the lumpity lump of a rough cam. Let's put that aside for a thought, if this countries highways were covered with solar powered cars and we didn't need a drop of oil from Dubai ever again, would that be a bad thing?

We aren't there yet, but it is an evolution, we may be there some day and I hope I am here to see it. And hot rods and customs will still be here and people who love the rumpity of a hot cam will still be able to enjoy it. But they will also enjoy a tire smoking electric powered vintage 2010 Corvette hotrod.

Brian
Old 12-17-2011, 11:23 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR

Let's put aside our love of the internal combustion engine, the sight of a polished aluminum 392 and the lumpity lump of a rough cam. Let's put that aside for a thought, if this countries highways were covered with solar powered cars and we didn't need a drop of oil from Dubai ever again, would that be a bad thing?

We aren't there yet, but it is an evolution, we may be there some day and I hope I am here to see it. And hot rods and customs will still be here and people who love the rumpity of a hot cam will still be able to enjoy it. But they will also enjoy a tire smoking electric powered vintage 2010 Corvette hotrod.

Brian
Well You may not depend on fuel anymore,,, But you will depend on something.... The rich oil people won't just roll over and say the race is done... They will find a way for you (US) to have to buy something from them..... They will find a way to have their hands in this some how..... So be it oil and gas, Or something else.... You won't ride for free just because you use the sun are what ever else.... So I wouldn't throw a party just yet.... Things aren't coming down... They keep going up...Be careful what you wish for....

And as far as having your hot rod to still enjoy.... Do you think the oil guy's are going to make gas just for you to ride in your hot rod.... I really don't think so.... And if they did,,I can't Wait to see just how much that will cost...
Old 12-17-2011, 11:40 AM

Last journal entry: 1930u more grill shell mods.
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gow589
I LOVE the idea that electric cars, solar technology etc is being developed more. Much of the Radio controlled car and airplane industry as well as small gadget industry really kicked much of this off.

I think HOWEVER, comparisons made have not been apples to apples.

If you buy an electric car to replace a gas car, you spend $60-70k for a car?

What support systems at home are still required; a dry garage, an electrical set up to support the charging, etc. On top of the added expense how many people across this nation have garages and could not even fit a car in it because they use it for storage.

It may not be oil, but it's still coal powered. Solar panels have a long way to go to be viable. First their rated output is based on ideal sun conditions and still rarely reach the rated output. Second, windmills have some successful installments but world wide they are coming down as fast as they are going up because the output less then expectations and maintenance cost has outweighed their production. Companies putting up windmills are now finding that land holding groups want contracts to REQUIRE the windmill companies to guarantee windmill removal if the windmills do not work out. Many people are being upset the windmills are just being left behind when they don't work out.

I'll never forget visiting a hot roder friend who spent several thousand dollars building a windmill with a whole bank of batteries which he had already replaced once. I asked if it worked. His face lit up like a Christmas tree "OH YES IT WORKS!!! On a windy day it will light this 75watt light bulb!!!" With a fake smile I said "awesome" not to hurt his feelings. A years worth of electricity money spent to light a light bulb when the wind was good.

More at the money aspect.

The government is discussing legislation to tax electric cars or cars in general differently. Electric cars are not paying the road tax; but they will eventually.

The government has invested heavily in electric cars. With out the government funding, how much would the the $65k car be?

When I was a kid I had a $500 car. When it did not run well I pulled over and put pencils in the broken vacuum lines to make it run reasonable. Now my kid has a $5000 car (because anything cheaper just required too much to keep it going) we had issues we had to sort out with an OBD reader, new catalytic converter, new chip, already $1500 in the car and we still get error codes.

When we are all forced to buy electric cars I see my grandchild buying a $15,000 electric, buying another $5,000 in batteries and being told if they are not disposed correctly they will got o jail.

I don't mean to be negative but I don't think the general push is apples to oranges.

Let me be clear. I am ALL FOR a natural progression of advancement as it seems to develop in un expected ways as the markets so desires. When t does, the solutions are far better then a government driven solution.

I fully believe electrics are and will develop on their own but their niche may not be what we expect.

First cars and trucks use %50 of the oil. Cars make up about %25. Making an improvement in the 25% is not a complete solution...not that there is problem moving in that direction but the realistic nature of the impact must be understood. There are other things to look at as well. We are sitting on one of the worlds largest natural gas deposits and it seems to be ignored.

Electrical applications are developing on their own and I welcome it. One of our clients make electric coal mine cars; very cool. I do think it has a long way to go before it can replace the car for anything more then what a golf cart can do for a car; especially when you look at the cost and the impact of say batteries and snuffing out viable business due to forced legislation.

I personally think we will need to come up with a capacitor to replace the batteries or perhaps a roadway electric grid. The batteries are an achelies heal.
Just a point of fact- the Volt is basically a diesel locomotive in sheep's clothing. The Volt uses the same tried and true 60 year old principals that has pulled a trillions of tons of stuff all around this world. I hope to own one but waiting for a couple more years.
Old 12-17-2011, 01:27 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1930u
Just a point of fact- the Volt is basically a diesel locomotive in sheep's clothing. The Volt uses the same tried and true 60 year old principals that has pulled a trillions of tons of stuff all around this world. I hope to own one but waiting for a couple more years.
Smart man, doesn't want to pay the "early adopter" price, but will wait for economies of scale to purchase. I'll bet 1930U didn't buy a 50" flat screen 7 years ago when they were $15,000, but waited till they were < $1000.

Economies of scale will be what it takes for the masses to switch (no pun intended) to electric. Once you drive one, you will never be impressed by the torque of the Dodge Viper after experiencing all available torque at zero rpm. 1930U is correct, how could ANY internal combustion engine get the mass of a train and all of its cars started from a stand still?
Old 01-29-2012, 09:52 AM

Last journal entry: Bad Rats anglia Build Journal plus bike and other photos
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 2

now heres a SMART project,, I think this would be more fun than,, Than,, ugh,, ah well I just bet it would be fun to play with,,,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MDU5B...ture=fvwp&NR=1

I think it needs a wind-up key on the back,,,

Tags
electric car, volt

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.