Chevy Volt - just so you know - Page 16 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2012, 06:30 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,123 Times in 998 Posts
Oh dear God if we only bought ANY car because it was "Cheaper" or some BS like that we would never buy one. Hell, I could have rebuilt the motor and trans and painted my Windstar for what I paid for the used Caravan I replaced it with.

Just what is the gas going to cost on any car you buy? How much is the gas going to cost on that Malibu over it's life time? LIFE TIME, think about it, figuring 200,000 at 5 bucks a gallon you are going to spend $28,570.

You could have bought a used pickup with a V8 that gets a third of the mileage and it would have cost you less for truck and gas than the Malibu and gas!

So lets toss "save money" out of the argument right now, it's foolish to even think that you are going to "save money" with ANY car. We are talking about moving ahead, changing out ways. And if we ARE going to go out and buy a new car, why not make it something like the Volt, what exactly would it hurt?

Brian

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-03-2012, 06:43 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Oh dear God if we only bought ANY car because it was "Cheaper" or some BS like that we would never buy one. Hell, I could have rebuilt the motor and trans and painted my Windstar for what I paid for the used Caravan I replaced it with.

Just what is the gas going to cost on any car you buy? How much is the gas going to cost on that Malibu over it's life time? LIFE TIME, think about it, figuring 200,000 at 5 bucks a gallon you are going to spend $28,570.

You could have bought a used pickup with a V8 that gets a third of the mileage and it would have cost you less for truck and gas than the Malibu and gas!

So lets toss "save money" out of the argument right now, it's foolish to even think that you are going to "save money" with ANY car. We are talking about moving ahead, changing out ways. And if we ARE going to go out and buy a new car, why not make it something like the Volt, what exactly would it hurt?

Brian
Well Brian, Idid buy a C1500 (1990) for 1000 bucks n dropped a real nice n fast SBC in there ,also my 67 Camaro has a strong 496 in it,91 vette runs that 350 pretty strong n my 99 2 door tahoe 4*4 is my daily driver,the Malibu was her choice,so she bought it
Speaking for myself,think Ill wait till the Flux Capacitor comes out to buy an electric car
I never checked the milage on the P/U but I bet you are right on
Al
Old 03-03-2012, 06:44 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:

Brian
As more buy, the economies of scale come into play. Those very expensive batteries will drop in price, spurring more purchases. If gas engined cars were at low production numbers, then they would be expensive to build. But hey, this is a hot rod forum, so lets embrace the hot rod potential of the electric motor, and that is all available torque at 0 rpm. Until you drive one, you are missing an experience. I've driven a friend's Tesla, single speed, and even though I've been known to be wordy, that driving experience was too cool to describe, instant, powerful acceleration at any speed, no need to downshift to wake up a sleepy ICE.

Case in point, some of you know I picked up a new Cad CTS-V, 556 hp on tap, but at 50 mph in 6th gear and about 1200 rpm, mash the pedal and not a whole lot happens until you pull a few gears.

Last edited by deckofficer; 03-03-2012 at 06:49 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:47 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
As more buy, the economies of scale come into play. Those very expensive batteries will drop in price, spurring more purchases. If gas engined cars were at low production numbers, then they would be expensive to build. But hey, this is a hot rod forum, so lets embrace the hot rod potential of the electric motor, and that is all available torque at 0 rpm. Until you drive one, you are missing an experience. I've driven a friend's Tesla, single speed, and even though I've been known to be wordy, that driving experience was too cool to describe, instant, powerful acceleration at any speed, no need to downshift to wake up a sleepy ICE.
Brian, man you are gettin popular,thats two quotes in a row!
Old 03-03-2012, 07:26 PM

Last photo:

I'll tell you Bob, driving that damn Leaf was a kick, like I have said before if you are a real hot rodder you are interesting in all aspects of the hobby. Electric has something to offer the hotrodder as much as it does the commuter.

I just find it so damn funny how people look at it like whites looked at the blacks in the 50's, "Them people are nuttin but trouble".

Brian
Old 03-03-2012, 07:57 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Brian,

I wasn't going to go there, but the thought always crosses my mind when folks that haven't any experience in said vehicles, can be so vocal on their lack of merits.

Bob
Old 03-03-2012, 08:38 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Here we go again !!!!!

Just because SOME people don't want it... We are this !!!! and we are that !!!! because we like what is there already... And don't want a hotrod I have to plug up... Really stupid... And childish...

Not everyone likes hot dog or hamburger's.. That don't mean something's wrong with them.... Man !!!!
Old 03-03-2012, 09:01 PM

Last photo:

You are right in that we all don't have to want an electric hot rod. But it's so funny how people attack the idea of anyone owning one, it's weird. It's like "They" want to marry our daughters.

Brian
Old 03-03-2012, 09:05 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

@NEW INTERIORS

Listen junior, I have never tired to push my concept of a hot rod on you. I would expect the same courtesy from you. You have trolled me here on Rodders ever since you left another forum in an ego driven huff. I've been OK with it for a long time now, but it is getting a bit tiring, don't you think?
Old 03-03-2012, 09:28 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
@NEW INTERIORS

Listen junior, I have never tired to push my concept of a hot rod on you. I would expect the same courtesy from you. You have trolled me here on Rodders ever since you left another forum in an ego driven huff. I've been OK with it for a long time now, but it is getting a bit tiring, don't you think?

Listen Junior....LOL

Your funny... I never pushed anything on you either.... But when y'all start saying the stupid things,, Like it's a black and white thing,,, I will say what's on my mine... This is the second time this black and white thing is said... And I don't like it.... Your just p****** because I don't agree with you... And I never will.. That's my choice...You like what you like..That's fine !!! But don't start with your JUNIOR ******* with me...

Don't think I ever disrespected you.. Don't try it with me..
You want to go toe to toe with me that fine too...
Old 03-03-2012, 09:33 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You are right in that we all don't have to want an electric hot rod. But it's so funny how people attack the idea of anyone owning one, it's weird. It's like "They" want to marry our daughters.

Brian

Not trying to attack anyone... Just don't start this black and white Bull **** again because we don't want to play at your rules...

Y'all made a comment towards the people that don't like it,,, No one every made that comment towards y'all..
Old 03-03-2012, 09:37 PM

Last photo:

Randy, it was me who said the black and white thing. This isn't a big deal here, I used that as an example because I see the same sort of hatred on anything electric (except hand tools ). Don't take it personal, I know you don't like the electric car but it isn't aimed at you for goodness sakes. Your thoughts are the same as many many people, on this forum and all over the place. Not picking on anyone in general, just making a general statement.

Brian
Old 03-03-2012, 09:42 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Randy, it was me who said the black and white thing. This isn't a big deal here, I used that as an example because I see the same sort of hatred on anything electric (except hand tools ). Don't take it personal, I know you don't like the electric car but it isn't aimed at you for goodness sakes. Your thoughts are the same as many many people, on this forum and all over the place. Not picking on anyone in general, just making a general statement.

Brian

Well.. I'm sure you read where Mr. Deckofficer made his comment's about the people down south about Change on the same topic here... Now I know you didn't over look that comment here before.. Funny how you both agree on this and make the same comments.... Now that seem's a little funny if you ask me..
Old 03-03-2012, 09:52 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

OK Randy,

I'll drop the junior, the attitude I took with you was uncalled for and out of character for me. I apologize. The thread however is about the Chevy Volt, and I would think anyone who has a disdain for electric cars, founded or not, would just ignore the thread.

Bob
Old 03-03-2012, 10:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Well.. I'm sure you read where Mr. Deckofficer made his comment's about the people down south about Change on the same topic here... Now I know you didn't over look that comment here before.. Funny how you both agree on this and make the same comments.... Now that seem's a little funny if you ask me..
Yeah it's shocking two people on the same page, my the worlds must have collided. I don't even remember him saying that because I typically don't store stuff in my head like that. Honestly Randy, it's like any other opinion if you make any comment at all you are "dissing" anyone who feels the opposite IF they want to be "dissed". But honestly, any subject, if you disagree with anything ever said by those standards you are dissing them. Now, that isn't fact because you can disagree with someone and even say something like it reminds you of the civil rights movement and it is just a general statement. Unless your name is mentioned or a direct quote or something, it is just a general statement.

Brian

Tags
electric car, volt

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.