Chevy Volt - just so you know - Page 18 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 11:07 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

This may seem off-topic but it really isn't. There are a lot of posters to this thread that are close to my age. My question to you that can remember, didn't you think we as Americans during the early 60's, could do anything we set our minds to? I sure remember that time well, I was an impressionable child, but knew we would win the space race even though we started from behind.

I think just in my short lifetime, we have lost some of our "free thinking, we can do it" attitude and replaced it with complaining about things we could change but no longer have the gumption to change.

So, here is a question to you, if you had a daughter who showed a strong spirit, was an accomplished sailor, and announced "Dad, I want to sail around the world by myself" and she is 14, would you let her go to pursue her dream?

Be 100% honest in your replies.

To see how this scenario played out in real life for a 14 year old sailor, I have a "Reader's Digest" condensed version here.......

http://tbuckets.lefora.com/2011/11/2...ages-12-to-14/

Bob
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 11:11 AM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i believe it will be diesel electric . our cars use nowhere near what the commercial world uses. i can see smaller diesel/electric in big rigs someday. theres already some pretty wild stuff going on in europe with trucks. i think the thing that will happen is much like today where they limit traffic down town. one day they will limit to electric traffic. no need for all those trucks and cars idling around town. but it is a ways off i'm afraid. and the emerging economies around the world just hit the 60's. drivetime baby !!! we will just be replaced .

damn ,,,, sucks to get old . we remember too damn much and start paying attention.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:15 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by shine
i believe it will be diesel electric . our cars use nowhere near what the commercial world uses. i can see smaller diesel/electric in big rigs someday. theres already some pretty wild stuff going on in europe with trucks. i think the thing that will happen is much like today where they limit traffic down town. one day they will limit to electric traffic. no need for all those trucks and cars idling around town. but it is a ways off i'm afraid. and the emerging economies around the world just hit the 60's. drivetime baby !!! we will just be replaced .

damn ,,,, sucks to get old . we remember too damn much and start paying attention.
You get it. The great thing about diesel-electric is the diesel part can be fueled by renewable sources, and the electric part removes the need for a transmission and increases efficiency.
Old 03-04-2012, 11:27 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Here are some question for the elder and the wise. Simple want to see what you all think:

- What if the money used on the auto bails out had instead been used as free money for everyone to get started on adding solar panels to their homes and/or businesses (not forced on anybody, of course)?

- How much would each family be entitled to?

- How many would be willing to take that money as well as that step towards making their own energy?

- How many wouldn't mind spend approximately $25,000 or less on an electric car (any electric car above the price excluded, regardless of manufacturer or country of origin) for daily commuting (heavy duty work excluded)?

- How many feel that it would be worth it not having to deal with emissions/smog issues ever again?

- How many wouldn't mind having cleaner air to breathe, regardless of the margin of how clean it would be?

- How many wouldn't mind having to think about or being told who their money may be funding ever again?

- How many wouldn't seeing the progress through research and development of better all-around technology? (BLASPHEMY: Imagine a Chevy 350 with a hybrid electric power train in a daily commuting old truck because someone designed a bolt-on kit for it? Why? because it was worth the study to answer the question "What if?")

- And all of this while still being able to fire up your true V8 muscle-powered ride whenever you want without shelling out a paycheck just on gas because there suddenly no shortage of it? Yes, the speculators may be out big money.

No, none of this achievable at this point, not because we can't do it, but because those who have the most to lose from this will fight this. Pick your CEOs and politicians, the list is pretty damn long.

Again, just questions...
Old 03-04-2012, 11:36 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

lt1silverhawk,

I think you know how I would answer your questions, but I'll wait and see how others respond.

My question to you is if you had a child that at the age of 14, he/she announced that they wanted to sail around the world by themselves, and were accomplished sailors, would you let them?

Bob
Old 03-04-2012, 11:48 AM
62 Vette L-98 TPI & ZF 6 speed

Last photo:

I'vd had two 14 year old step daughters. YES. I'd let them sail around the world. then I'd move with no forwarding address.

Russ
Old 03-04-2012, 11:55 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
My question to you is if you had a child that at the age of 14, he/she announced that they wanted to sail around the world by themselves, and were accomplished sailors, would you let them?Bob
Even tho I hate to be part of this "blatant hi-jack"

They're only 14 - - of course not - - and don't bother to ask me why
Old 03-04-2012, 12:00 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The oil companies are keeping you from this.
some more B.S.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:11 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet
Even tho I hate to be part of this "blatant hi-jack"

They're only 14 - - of course not - - and don't bother to ask me why
It isn't a blatant hi-jack, I'll tie it together after more responses.

Bob
Old 03-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

I would love to know how much YOU invested into this elect cars.. (stock's)

And to bring up a 14 year old girl sailing around the world.... Well your forum must still be sinking... I see you post all over the web,, Trying to pull people to your forum.... Sounds like a sinking ship to me...If I was Jon, I wouldn't let it fly here... But we all know we don't have to worry about stealing people from this site..

And I'm sorry... I would never let my Little girl sail around the world at 14 by herself....

If your so into elect.. May I ask why you bought your new gas sucking car ???
Old 03-04-2012, 12:37 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

is it free enterprise or not. simple question.
Old 03-04-2012, 12:49 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
It isn't a blatant hi-jack, I'll tie it together after more responses.Bob
Heart be still - - - I can't wait for more of your rhetoric
Old 03-04-2012, 12:55 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet
Heart be still - - - I can't wait for more of your rhetoric
Now that's funny WR..
Old 03-04-2012, 12:57 PM

Last photo:

I think his battery's went dead... He will be back as soon as he goes charge them up...LOL
Old 03-04-2012, 02:20 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
I would love to know how much YOU invested into this elect cars.. (stock's)

And to bring up a 14 year old girl sailing around the world.... Well your forum must still be sinking... I see you post all over the web,, Trying to pull people to your forum.... Sounds like a sinking ship to me...If I was Jon, I wouldn't let it fly here... But we all know we don't have to worry about stealing people from this site..

And I'm sorry... I would never let my Little girl sail around the world at 14 by herself....

If your so into elect.. May I ask why you bought your new gas sucking car ???
Randy,

I have told you before I have not invested in any electric car stocks or technologies. Other than the (5) Electric Smart Cars I imported to the Port of Tacoma, which all except the one I brought down to SoCal, sold in the PNW before I was even a member of Rodders.

As to a sinking forum, I would not consider any start up forum in such a specialized segment as T-buckets, that before it was one year old, had over 10,000 posts, to be sinking.

But now on to what some consider a thread drift, Laura Dekker, the 14 year old that solo circumnavigated the world and is in the process of doing it again. With more responses I was hoping to draw a parallel to those who are at least intrigued as to the possible future of personal transportation and those that if they felt their off spring was mature enough and possessed the required skill set, would allow them to follow their dreams. It is all a matter of both self confidence and adaptability, that go hand in hand. Laura as a 6th sense about sailing, weather routing, and navigation that few professionals (myself included) will ever have in our lifetime. Her father knew this, but the courts of the Netherlands did not, so they stopped her for awhile. When Laura's book is published she will no doubt be a millionaire, so Randy, if your child had the skill set to become successful early in life, you would deny them?

Tags
electric car, volt

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.