Chevy Volt - just so you know - Page 19 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2012, 03:03 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Randy,

I forgot to answer your last question, I bought it because it is a future classic and a good investment that for a few trips a year I can enjoy. I drive it at most once a month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-04-2012, 03:13 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

It's my humble opinion that the current crop of electric and hybrid vehicles are but a stepping stone to a future design that will (or won't) eventually be seen as "acceptable/desirable".

That's something that has not happened yet, and understandably so, it takes MANY iterations of a design concept before there is enough advancements/improvements to make it acceptable enough to the buying public for them to go that route instead of more of the same-old same-old.
Old 03-04-2012, 03:16 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
It's my humble opinion that the current crop of electric and hybrid vehicles are but a stepping stone to a future design that will (or won't) eventually be seen as "acceptable/desirable".

That's something that has not happened yet, and understandably so, it takes MANY iterations of a design concept before there is enough advancements/improvements to make it acceptable enough to the buying public for them to go that route instead of more of the same-old same-old.
And nothing like $7 a gallon gas to help that process along. In Europe it is at $10 a gallon and they have more diesel and electric offerings than us.
Old 03-04-2012, 04:56 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
so Randy, if your child had the skill set to become successful early in life, you would deny them?

Well.. That really depends if their life was at stake !!!! And her's was at one or more times on the trip... And I'm very sure I don't have to explain why..

If my kids have to put their life at stake to be rich,, Well they don't need to be rich in my book... Money isn't everything....

In my eye's.. My kids are Millionaires already..

If that's your way of making your kid rich..Well good for you,, It's not my way... One thing I taught my kids from the beginning, Is you don't have to be rich to be happy..

Being from your part of the USA,, You should know that better then anyone... Look around,,You might just figure that out..

If not.. There is a little saying...

''It's easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, Then a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven''..

Wow!!! I been up to long..

Last edited by NEW INTERIORS; 03-04-2012 at 05:11 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:14 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
lt1silverhawk,

I think you know how I would answer your questions, but I'll wait and see how others respond.

My question to you is if you had a child that at the age of 14, he/she announced that they wanted to sail around the world by themselves, and were accomplished sailors, would you let them?

Bob
In all fairness, I don't think I can give an honest answer because I am not a parent. However, trying to put myself in the shoes of a parent, I imagine if the child can look me in the eye like an adult and tell me this is his or her future, then I imagine I would would reluctantly let him or her go.

You know what, because of a loss in my life, the reluctance would be very very high, but I wouldn't stand in the way of any child of mine who is has proven him or herself a mature grown person, regardless of the age number. Everyone needs to find his or her place in the world...

But like I said, I am not a parent, so I will never know unless/until I am in such a situation...

Last edited by lt1silverhawk; 03-04-2012 at 05:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:24 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

@NEW INTERIORS

I'm glad you responded, but you missed the point. This was Laura's dream since her first boat that was capable at age 8. Money had nothing to do with it other than she didn't have much. When her government would not let her go on her current late model but a small 28' Hurley 800, she sold it to buy a clapped out Gin Fizz at 38'. Then she worked her hands bloody doing an extensive refit to be sea worthy. With her skills, she was at a much lower risk than 99.9% of adult cruisers plying the seas as I type. Live is not without risks, but from risk comes reward. If I assume a high risk position in the stock market, then the reward needs to justify the risk. Laura, on the other hand did not risk that much, considering her skill, but because of her age, others thought it was risky and will pay for her book. A good "win~win~win" for Laura, followed her dream, low risk (at least for her), and enough of a payday (this wasn't her intention) to allow her to start a new life in New Zealand, because she is not returning home to Holland after the government's treatment of her.

But now I'm just repeating what I have already commited to text here.....

http://tbuckets.lefora.com/2011/11/2...ages-12-to-14/

if anyone is interested in my condensed version of Laura's story. I have cruising friends that have had the pleasure of meeting her in her travels and hosting her for dinner on their much larger boats. Nick, who is also Dutch met her in Panama, and cooked a Dutch~Indian curry type of dinner that she loved aboard his Sundeer 64, S/V Jedi.

Bob
Old 03-04-2012, 05:26 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last journal entry: Motor - vator
Last photo:

Giving a 14 year old a boat to sail around the world is as ridiculous as this thread is getting.
A 14 year old needs to be in school, not on the high seas alone, to die or be rescued at the taxpayers expense, or worse be captured by pirates, as any sea dog would know does exist.
I suggest here gentlemen that you ALL get back on topic and stop the bickering, and the mindless rhetoric. If you want to argue with deckofficer...go over to his forum and argue, quit diluting the potency of this forum with nonsense.
There are a lot of valid points here, but not many about the VOLT so lets get back to the gettin .
Old 03-04-2012, 05:29 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Yea.. I guess if 6 pirates would have caught her..You would be singing a different tune..

No man and his right mind should EVER AND I MEAN EVER put his little girl and harms way.. I SORRY !!!

I said ALL I NEED TO SAY TO THIS MAN !!!
Old 03-04-2012, 05:37 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

I am sure that Laura is an exceptional young lady with the accent on "exceptional" and to pose such a question and then question the answers of the members is totally ridiculous IMHO !

If your intent was to create attention for Laura then you have indeed done so.

Until this becomes a Chevy Volt thread again, I am done with it.
Old 03-04-2012, 05:46 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
Giving a 14 year old a boat to sail around the world is as ridiculous as this thread is getting.
A 14 year old needs to be in school, not on the high seas alone, to die or be rescued at the taxpayers expense, or worse be captured by pirates, as any sea dog would know does exist.
I suggest here gentlemen that you ALL get back on topic and stop the bickering, and the mindless rhetoric. If you want to argue with deckofficer...go over to his forum and argue, quit diluting the potency of this forum with nonsense.
There are a lot of valid points here, but not many about the VOLT so lets get back to the gettin .
Sorry, the thread drift was to draw a correlation between folks that would consider new automotive technology such as the Volt and if they were blessed with a confident, talented offspring, would they allow them to follow their dreams. Age is just a number, Laura grew up sailing. Her father would not let her sail her first junior sailing dinghy alone until she could self right it if she capsized the little boat. This was as a 6 year old. When she was 12 she sailed across the North Sea and back, with dad hoping she would get roughed up a bit and require him to fly to England to fetch her and the boat. He thought that then she would put this solo circumnavigation on hold till 18. A week later she returned to Holland after a successful crossing and starting going into boardrooms throughout Holland to drum up sponsorship.

Tell me this isn't the face of a confident, accomplished young woman upon her completion?

This is while she was still embroiled in court battles with her legal council.

Even though she matured physically during her voyage, mentally she was there all along.

And the correlation seems to hold true, folks accepting of the Volt would at least consider giving a talented child some freedom to pursue said talents.

Now back to the Volt.

Bob
Old 03-04-2012, 05:50 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

Getting back to the thread
Id like to pose these questions
The Volt .What is the voltage of the motor(input voltage)
How many watts at full power,how much horsepower
Is the motor A/C or D/C
Is it wye or Delta winding
What is the battery composition and chemichal structure?
apparently this has a generator to charge the batteries,not a hybrid but a totally electric car.
Is it a constant speed generator,does it drive an inverter?
If constant speed what is the governed RPM?
What is the rated KW of the generator?
Does the car use electro braking,if so how is the energy transfered to the batteries?
Nice to know these things before such a heated argument
I personally wouldnt buy one,I live in the country,in the south,commutes are rather long for me and I love hotrods.
An engine or electrical motor is a machine that converts Thermal(heat) energy into Kinetic energy(energy in motion) there are definite and proven laws of Thermodynamics that apply here!
It takes so much energy to make so much power
At their most basic points the laws state
You can never break even
You can never go back
then theres the zeroth law and entropy
I see a lot of experts on the Volt in this forum
Please answer my questions
Id like to know!
Thanks in advance
Al
Old 03-04-2012, 06:00 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

I knew an old Cal Tech professor in florida, who recently moved to the Island where I lived. He had an S 10 chevy that was Electric. It was cool.
Under the hood was a 40 horse electric motor and in the bed was a couple rows of batterys. he had the throttle rigged with a rheostat and it was hooked to a big regulator of some kind , I dont remember. i just know he could drive to the mainland and back on one charge. it was about a 30 mile round trip, and has dozens of stop lights. If there were less stop lights he could have had better range.It used the clutch and the OE 5 speed too.
There is no doubt an electric vehicle has its place in the world.
naturally it wont work for summer trips across the country.It would however work well for daily commute.
The volt has its share of trouble,chevy should have went to toyota school.
Hyundai is making a hybrid and it is a lot less money than either the volt or the prius. We americans better get crackin or we are gonna lose this race.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:01 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwrench
Getting back to the thread
Id like to pose these questions
The Volt .What is the voltage of the motor(input voltage)

I think about 360 volts

How many watts at full power,how much horsepower

120Kw, so 161 hp I'll have to check.

Is the motor A/C or D/C

AC

Is it wye or Delta winding

wye, I'll have to check.

What is the battery composition and chemichal structure?

Lithium

apparently this has a generator to charge the batteries,not a hybrid but a totally electric car.

Yes, electric drive, no engine connection.

Is it a constant speed generator,does it drive an inverter?

Constant speed DC output PM alternator.

If constant speed what is the governed RPM?

I'll have to check.

What is the rated KW of the generator?

I'll have to check.

Does the car use electro braking,if so how is the energy transfered to the batteries?

Regen, first stage just lift throttle pedal, 2nd stage first application of brakes, and this can be user set for amount of re-gen.

Nice to know these things before such a heated argument
I personally wouldnt buy one,I live in the country,in the south,commutes are rather long for me and I love hotrods.
An engine or electrical motor is a machine that converts Thermal(heat) energy into Kinetic energy(energy in motion) there are definite and proven laws of Thermodynamics that apply here!
It takes so much energy to make so much power
At their most basic points the laws state
You can never break even
You can never go back
then theres the zeroth law and entropy
I see a lot of experts on the Volt in this forum
Please answer my questions
Id like to know!
Thanks in advance
Al
You ask great knowledgeable questions, I'll have to re check my answers after some research.
Old 03-04-2012, 06:04 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last photo:

They are calling the on board gas engine a backup generator for when the batterys go down.It makes good sense. Now this car is a plug in rechargeable too...correct?
Old 03-04-2012, 06:09 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by latech
They are calling the on board gas engine a backup generator for when the batterys go down.It makes good sense. Now this car is a plug in rechargeable too...correct?
Yes, first 40 miles are battery so if your commute is under 80 miles round trip, no gas burned if you plug in at work. My neighbor has a Volt and commutes down to Sacramento, which I posted his results somewhere on this thread but if memory serves, he burns about 1/10 of one gallon each day.

Tags
electric car, volt

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.