Chevy Volt - just so you know - Page 24 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2012, 09:33 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I would buy another Pinto

If they still made them I had 5 of them and ran tiill the rust killed them but I drove them to the junk yard and took the battery home

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2012, 10:36 PM

Last photo:

Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Northstar T
I want small cars. If I could buy a new TRUE Micro car in the US, I would buy one. I've liked the idea of micro cars for commuting since WAY before gas was $2.50 a gallon. It irritates me when a car manufacture builds a pretty cool new econo car, but then over the next few years it keeps getting bigger, more powerfull, more options and 1/4 the milage it first had, at which point people quit buying it and the manufacture says "the public wasn't interested in an economy car so we quit building it". I'm still not interested in the electric cars, for reasons I've pointed out earlier, but I do want a small, super basic GAS economy commuter car. I currently own a 99 Suzuki Swift (Geo Metro) that I use to commute with, and it's 35-40+ MPG is still way better than most of the new "economy" cars built today, including some hybrids. Some people think the Suzuki/Metro is beneath them to drive, but I just stuck a Cadillac emblem on the rear hatch and stick my nose up in the air when I drive it. we blend right in that way and I smile as I pass every gas station.

Russ

Well Russ maybe you want one but every one that does there are 1000 that don't. I agree that us old guys are being forced out of our big cars or p/u's but they will have to get my ashes to get me in anything less than my 33. When gas gets high enough they will change.

Gas won't go down if they start digging in this country or not, they want it at at least a $100.00 a barrel now they might want more.

Bob
Old 03-06-2012, 10:42 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

As long as they we will choose to "need" it, then in a free market, they can and will charge as much as they can. If we accept that, then we have no right to complain.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:52 PM

Last photo:

Volt

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
As long as they we will choose to "need" it, then in a free market, they can and will charge as much as they can. If we accept that, then we have no right to complain.
Hawk what thread are we on, I agree but no one seems to be yelling to loud yet.

Bob

Yeh buddy going on two threads is fun but I got to get to bed. I still have to watch the news to see what I didn't like happened. Have a good one.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:58 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolvo
Well, all us old farts are being drug into the future whether we like it or not. The Volt didn't sell well now, but it will in the not to distant future. Blacksmiths didn't think that the horseless carriage would catch on, radio didn't think TV would last, Blockbuster Video didn't anticipate NetFlix, on and on.
So I bet my electric car is faster than your electric car, that competition will never end.
I didn't read all 23 pages of this thread, so if this is a repost, sorry

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOTewHnwVGI
The vid was a re-post, but no problem, you have an enlightened attitude, so welcome. I didn't think this thread could or would turn into a "for vs against" debate, but like you, I think the writing is on the wall.
Old 03-06-2012, 11:26 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
It's like that web based grocery shopping site that we had in the bay area. They spent millions upon millions of dollars and it lasted about two years at most, and they were gone. Right after they folded Safeway, a large west coast chain put a few trucks at their stores and it has been very successful.

There will be a time, the electric car is catching on, it is just around the corner. The public is warming up to it with the hybrids, and one day they will be all over the place.

Brian
Old 03-06-2012, 11:33 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
It's like that web based grocery shopping site that we had in the bay area. They spent millions upon millions of dollars and it lasted about two years at most, and they were gone. Right after they folded Safeway, a large west coast chain put a few trucks at their stores and it has been very successful.

There will be a time, the electric car is catching on, it is just around the corner. The public is warming up to it with the hybrids, and one day they will be all over the place.

Brian
Brian,

And most of us are young enough to be able to witness the evolution. Just as my 92 year old dad watched it from the other end, when the electrics were more popular than gas because of the unsafe hand cranking of the gas engine.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:30 AM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
Sorry, that should have said: "As long as we will choose to "need" it, then in a free market, they can and will charge as much as they can. If we accept that, then we have no right to complain."

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35terraplane
Hawk what thread are we on, I agree but no one seems to be yelling to loud yet.

Bob

Yeh buddy going on two threads is fun but I got to get to bed. I still have to watch the news to see what I didn't like happened. Have a good one.
I hear ya. It did get confusing bouncing back and forth between the two threads. Hopefully the news wasn't too bad. Nite night Bob.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:31 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,276 Times in 1,117 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Brian,

And most of us are young enough to be able to witness the evolution. Just as my 92 year old dad watched it from the other end, when the electrics were more popular than gas because of the unsafe hand cranking of the gas engine.
Yep from what I remember reading, before the electric starter motor electric cars out numbered gas ones.

Brian

1915 "Detroit" electric car.

This O7 Baker Roadster was pretty cool.

1920 Detroit

1913 Argo

Last edited by MARTINSR; 03-07-2012 at 12:39 AM.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:14 AM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

ONLY WAY THE ELECTRIC CAR is going to "catch on" is if we change from coal fired electric plants.. not likely to happen as seen as the greeniesthat want everyone in a zero emmissions car are the same ones that bark at nuke power.. or wind power.. , the not in my backyard overrided a greenies "green" when it affect their view(wind) or fear of feeling safe (nuke power)..

UNTILL that changes, or they are forced to deal with the green b/s they shove down everyone else. it never happen.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:59 AM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

I want a Bobber but my Wiffy won't let me get one
Old 03-07-2012, 09:42 AM

Last photo:

stich626, and you can add river and tidal turbines to that list too of alternative methods opposed by environmentalists.

Despite the fact that turbines placed on the bottom of the Mississippi River could generate sufficient permanent and steady power to provide huge amounts of electricity, nearly all the recent submitted projects have failed to progress at all. It's almost like people think these turbines would be whirling around at 1000's of rpms. Turbines have the advantage that river flow is pretty consistent and would require far less reliance on the needed stand-by power that plagues sources such as wind and solar.

Personally I'd love to see an affordable and viable electric car, I mean which auto enthusiast wouldn't with its just about flat and instantaneous torque.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:37 AM
"But how do it know?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet
I want a Bobber but my Wiffy won't let me get one
Man that looks sweeet!
Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM
"But how do it know?"

To get a better picture of this car, I decided to check the consumer reviews of the Volt on Edmunds.com and its got a solid 5 star average rating: 2012 Chevrolet Volt Consumer Reviews . Worth a browse for those who are interested in realistic owner feedback.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:47 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robin58
stich626, and you can add river and tidal turbines to that list too of alternative methods opposed by environmentalists.

Despite the fact that turbines placed on the bottom of the Mississippi River could generate sufficient permanent and steady power to provide huge amounts of electricity, nearly all the recent submitted projects have failed to progress at all. It's almost like people think these turbines would be whirling around at 1000's of rpms. Turbines have the advantage that river flow is pretty consistent and would require far less reliance on the needed stand-by power that plagues sources such as wind and solar.

Personally I'd love to see an affordable and viable electric car, I mean which auto enthusiast wouldn't with its just about flat and instantaneous torque.
but the fishies.......
they can make them so the fish go through unharmed.. greenies are such b/s

yes me love me an electric car econo box.. make it the size of a british car of the 60-70's and a radio.. done.. about 1500 lb's

Tags
electric car, volt

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.