Chevy Volt - just so you know - Page 25 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-07-2012, 02:24 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Game changer alert

I have a hunch the Volt in its current configuration and price may not fly after all. Yes, I'm admitting it, and upon closer research have seen why GM has stopped production for the time being.

Typically, the fast paced battery R&D has returned about a 5% per year increase in energy densities. This is driven by the need of lap tops, ipads, smartphones, and now the automotive marketplace. At the current rate it would be awhile before we see a 300 mile battery that doesn't weight 1/2 the weight of the car. The area that is receiving the attention of PhD's in Material Science and Electro-chemistry is nano tech, simply put, increasing the surface area of compounds on a microscopic level. Just announced through my network of battery junkies is the 400 w/hr per kilo of battery density major break through.

I'll use my electric scooter as a basis for what this break through means. I have a 6.5 mile range on 60 lbs worth of AGM lead acid batteries. The same weight of these new batteries that haven't hit the market yet in my scooter would give it over 90 miles of range. Thus, you no longer need a range extender as the Volt has, plus still having to smog and oil change the thing. Apply this new battery to the 100 mile range of Nissan's pure electric Leaf, and you now have a 500 mile range, again pure electric.

Had I known yesterday, I would not of kept plugging the Volt (no pun intended). I had become accustomed to that 5% per year of typical advancements in battery energy density.

http://enviasystems.com/company/about-us/

Now I'm braced for all the "I told you so", so let 'em rip.

Bob

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-07-2012, 02:35 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Nawwww, not my nature - - - - - you believed what you thought to be right at the time and then after keeping an open mind you tweeked your opinion. Good quality to have BTW.
Old 03-07-2012, 02:44 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

it's always been about batteries .not yet but maybe someday. in the meantime diesel electric would likely be best option.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:17 PM

Last journal entry: My Last Hot Rod
Last photo:

I hear

lots of people claiming they wouldn't get caught dead driving a Golf cart to work and back home. Some are funny answers
Old 03-07-2012, 05:32 PM

Last journal entry: fish carb
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwrench
well I see the Volt died today
I never thought many would be bought.
I just thought the price was too high
The storsge of power not right
Further complications by having to plug it in
And of course all the reported safety issues
All in all id rather drive a Corvair than a Volt!
@Deck officer
My previous post,Im glad you verified some of this!
Old 03-07-2012, 05:38 PM
"But how do it know?"

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto... Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 132

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet
... you believed what you thought to be right at the time and then after keeping an open mind you tweeked your opinion. Good
quality to have BTW.
+1 to that. The quest for correct answers for the sake of knowledge which will be shared with others requires a high level of personal integrity. And you have shown that. Not only did you admit you were wrong, you showed us why and how. Thank you for setting an example for the rest of us.
Old 03-07-2012, 05:39 PM

Last journal entry: 46 ford pick up
Last photo:

sweet cycle

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet
I want a Bobber but my Wiffy won't let me get one
If you are ever able to get one my buddy builds sweet antique rides check out his website;rpartsintime.com
Old 03-07-2012, 06:06 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lt1silverhawk
+1 to that. The quest for correct answers for the sake of knowledge which will be shared with others requires a high level of personal integrity. And you have shown that. Not only did you admit you were wrong, you showed us why and how. Thank you for setting an example for the rest of us.
I was supportive of the Volt as I thought it was a decent stepping stone to further the use of electrics. Drawbacks, as pointed out by others was the price, not to mention with the gasoline powered range extender, you still had the headaches of smog checks, oil and filter changes, exhaust systems, etc. Maybe this thread can morph into a Nissan Leaf thread ???

When this latest battery technology comes to market, all the pure electrics like the Leaf will have an easy transition from a 100 mile battery to a 500 mile battery at 1/2 the cost of the old battery.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:35 PM

Last photo:

That's Nice set up

Quote:
Originally Posted by topwrench
Anyway I dont know much about the future evolution of our species but here is some pics of my solar system.Sorry my garage is messy right now and I couldnt get the Camaro out of the way
> you must have a large set up. I have one also but smaller in comparison, 32 12 volt batteries and 6, 75 watt panels,2- 120 watt and a 600 watt Wind Mill. All my wiring and fuse boxes are home made from scraps etc except for the fuses.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:36 PM
gearheadslife

Last journal entry: The TwoTonShu #10
Last photo:

they all still run on coal.. so.. pointless, really..
+ hello, boss can't come to work my leaf gota voltage spike last night and is d.o.a.
Old 03-07-2012, 07:40 PM

Last photo:

Mine is not on the grid ever

They are stand alone units and have powered my oil furnace since 1997, My heat is never on grid. I don't depend on the grid at all they are self reliant. all hooked up on separate circuits alone from the Grid.
Old 03-07-2012, 08:28 PM
9.82 @ 139mph

Last wiki edit: Finding vacuum leaks Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsfyj
They are stand alone units and have powered my oil furnace since 1997, My heat is never on grid. I don't depend on the grid at all they are self reliant. all hooked up on separate circuits alone from the Grid.

When you say your heat is never on the grid, you mean the blower motor that is part of the oil furnace right??
Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 bug
When you say your heat is never on the grid, you mean the blower motor that is part of the oil furnace right??
If he does what I do, you get heat. I have a pellet stove, heat of course comes from pellets, auger and blower, 120 VAC. A little 1000 watt generator will power (3) CF lights, the refrigerator, and pellet stove. Generally only lose power in the bigger snow storms, but that is when you want heat. One outage lasted 5 days, so I cooked on top of that stove and had to start siphoning gas from the T. Did find out the generator could run 9 1/2 hours on a tank, so got to fill it before bed and get some sleep.
Old 03-07-2012, 10:05 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

I kept doing research, as you folks know how I hate being wrong (right Russ?), and guess what I found out?

That break through battery with the high energy density was developed by a company here in California called "envia" and who do you think is a major financial backer of envia, well low and behold GM. Why do I keep trusting this company after the Vega engine, Corvair's vee-belt, a gasser sbc being put into service as a diesel back in '74, and the crushing of the EV-1?

GM, fool me once shame on you, fool me 5 times drives me to Ford.

Here is some of my research......

http://www.designnews.com/author.asp...ers+-+DN+Daily

http://www.engadget.com/2012/02/29/e...sity-lower-co/

Envia's GM-backed battery delivers huge energy density, lower costs, headaches for competitors
Old 03-08-2012, 04:15 AM

Last photo:

No I have a Hot water Boiler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 406 bug
> everything is on my solars the oil burner gun, all my water circulator s, the controls, everything. I live in the country power goes out all the time, the union power guys must always be at benefit meetings, I got sick of this in the 90's Now I have heat when others dont , always...

Tags
electric car, volt

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.