Chevy Volt - just so you know - Page 6 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2011, 11:04 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

I can just see it now.... The new top fuel cars you plug in....... That would sure suck..

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-25-2011, 11:38 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,062 Times in 947 Posts
Guys, electric cars and power is nothing new for goodness sakes.

In the early years of the car up into the 1900s first years there were more electric cars than gas! There were steam too, all three were vying to be the best. I was a big fan of electrics back in the seventies studying up on them and still have a bunch of books on the subject. I thought I would be driving one by now and even thought seriously of making the Rambler electric when I found that the original little flathead was cracked all to heck. I seriously thought about it. For my "commute", are you kidding the very basic electric motor from a friggin fork lift mated to the trans and 18-24 12 volt car batteries stuffed into the engine compartment and trunk would EASILY fill my needs. A 20-30 mile range would be PLENTY for me, heck down to about 15 would do it.

Seeing an electric drag car is really not a bit different than a gas car, I just see it as another motor just as it was in 1900. The gas engine blew away the electric and steam and has been the overall winner for a hundred years, but who's to say that the time hasn't came in technology to even eliminate it? Who knows what is in store, who would have thought there would be a computer in our pockets like we have with an IPhone?

Even with all out optimism and dreams did someone think back in 1970 when a simple computer filled a room would be have them SO small today. What is around the corner for a battery? Look at the rechargeable drills and saws, holy crap. It wasn't that long ago a battery powered drill was for infomercials, it was for the home owner who knew nothing and needed to turn two screws a month. If someone would have told me back in the seventies that a rechargeable saw you could cut a friggin sheet of plywood in half was going to be in professional carpenters tool box I would have thought you crazy.

Who knows what is in store for the electric car.

Brian
Old 11-25-2011, 11:39 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

One of the NEDRA race teams is called "Suck Amps".
Old 11-25-2011, 11:43 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Well put Brian. Sounds like you are familiar with DeWalt's 36 volt Li-Ion system of tools. More power than any corded tool that uses a 50' extension cord.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:03 PM
Just stuck

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
A123 batteries that make up the Tesla battery bank are made in Massachusetts by a company founded by three MIT grads. American designed and built. The packs in the Volt are being manufactured at the Brownstown Battery Pack Assembly Plant in Brownstown Township outside Detroit. A long ways from China.
Where are they buying the material to assemble the packs?
Old 11-25-2011, 12:08 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR

Seeing an electric drag car is really not a bit different than a gas car,

Brian
Well... I may be the different one here... But when I go to the track.... I want to SEE IT,FEEL IT,AND HEAR IT,, when it goes down the track..

I Have to give it to him for building it... And it does run.... Just not what I would ever enjoy....

It can run 1000 mph... If I can't hear ''ALL'' 8 hitting hard.. It does nothing at all for me...
Old 11-25-2011, 12:09 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cranky1
Where are they buying the material to assemble the packs?

Now Cranky... That is a loaded question...
Old 11-25-2011, 12:10 PM

Last photo:

You are right but where in the living hell is ANYTHING made in America made from all American materials? It makes me sick to think of how much is made elsewhere, so this is no different. Heck, look at all the stuff in your hotrod, from wheel bearings to the water pump, made in China. How about the tires, are their tires made here, few are.

Brian
Old 11-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

Randy, do you know where the metal was made that you are making your C cab from? It is VERY likely (unless you researched it and searched out USA Made) that the metal you are using was made in China, VERY likely.

Brian
Old 11-25-2011, 12:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You are right but where in the living hell is ANYTHING made in America made from all American materials? It makes me sick to think of how much is made elsewhere, so this is no different. Heck, look at all the stuff in your hotrod, from wheel bearings to the water pump, made in China. How about the tires, are their tires made here, few are.

Brian

That's the whole point...
Old 11-25-2011, 12:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Randy, do you know where the metal was made that you are making your C cab from? It is VERY likely (unless you researched it and searched out USA Made) that the metal you are using was made in China, VERY likely.

Brian

I really don't care... I'm not one that is always crying about it..

But when someone make's comment's like this one,,, You might not like the answer's that you will hear here..That's all..

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
A123 batteries that make up the Tesla battery bank are made in Massachusetts by a company founded by three MIT grads. American designed and built. The packs in the Volt are being manufactured at the Brownstown Battery Pack Assembly Plant in Brownstown Township outside Detroit. A long ways from China.
Old 11-25-2011, 12:13 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Well... I may be the different one here... But when I go to the track.... I want to SEE IT,FEEL IT,AND HEAR IT,, when it goes down the track..

I Have to give it to him for building it... And it does run.... Just not what I would ever enjoy....

It can run 1000 mph... If I can't hear ''ALL'' 8 hitting hard.. It does nothing at all for me...
I'm with you there, I enjoy the sound of the top fueler. But that doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy and get a kick out of the electric car humming past just as fast. Just different that's all, both represent power to me.

Brian
Old 11-25-2011, 01:06 PM

Last photo:

If you want to go 1,000 MPH, you are not doing it with 8 cylinders. It is probably going to be done with a gas turbine. Something that really "sucks" Just do not stand in front of it.

If somebody wants to build an electric drag car, based on a 1972 Japanese econobox, that is capable of beating 90 to 95 % of the gas fueled project cars represented in this forum, let them. I applaud their effort.
If somebody wants to buy a Nissan Leaf, or a Chevy Volt, or even a Tesla Roadster, that is fine by me. Like I said before, The less gas they use, the more economical it will be for me to get gas. If I choose to ride my bicycle to work, the more gas available to you to use.

I was around when the switch was made from using Allison V-12 airplane engines in unlimited hydroplanes, to gas turbines. A typical comment, "it sounds like a vacuum cleaner" But the turbines beat the V-12's. That is what is run in unlimited hydro racing today, mostly all turbines.

I remember growing up in the 1970's. Global cooling was the big environmental concern. The reciprocating piston engine was pronounced to be dead by 1990, or the turn of the century. Guess what, pistons are still here. You can buy Camaros, and Mustangs over 600 HP.

An I interested in buying a Chevy Volt? Not at $41,000. Probably not even at $4,000.
For basic daily transportation, why not use an Electric car? If you want to spend the $41,000, to save $500 of gas a year, that is your choice. Just understand you are still burning fossil fuels to make the electricity. Lets celebrate the choices that are available to all of us.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:06 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Then don't segregate the electrics from the gassers, that way you can still enjoy the visual of the electric (with its full torque available at 0 rpm) pulling away right at the beginning, and can still enjoy the gasser's engine screaming through the gears (yes, gears, it can't do much with direct drive like the electric) for your audio enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qDZOBQs60w

Last edited by deckofficer; 11-25-2011 at 01:13 PM.
Old 11-25-2011, 01:14 PM

Last photo:

I just hope they let it stay our choices...If you want one Buy it.. If you don't Keep your gas cars.... I don't have anything against someone that want's to buy one.... Just don't try in force me to buy one..... Give me a big block Chevy any day...

Tags
electric car, volt

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.