Chevy Volt - just so you know - Page 9 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-26-2011, 11:53 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last wiki edit: List of hotrodding forums
Last journal entry: Trans swap
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GMC
Yup, I have mixed feelings on this.

Pissed just a bit because of the obvious economic impact it will have on our province, perhaps country.

On the other hand ... and considering the history and fate of some other OPEC nations ... governments have been overthrown, dictators installed and removed, and many environments completely and permanently ruined (Google "Oil production environmental damage" ... all for the cause of satisfying the worlds largest economy with relatively cheap fossil fuel?

Maybe it's a blessing and relief. I sure as hell wouldn't want Alberta to suffer the same fate as Nigeria has. Do you know the story? Have you seen the pictures?

Obama is right ... he doesn't want our "dirty" crude.
66GMC,

I would have gotten back to you sooner, but your link was a very long and interesting read. Just so you know, I had jumped ship in the Merchant Marine because of the compensation package being offered by the oil drilling companies that were drilling so far off shore that the drill rigs were deemed vessels, having to stay in position over the well with marine propulsion. The last one I served on was off shore on the coast of Brazil, used (6) 5,000 hp electric motors to hold position against environmental forces. In high winds and currents, I could burn 1,000 gallons of diesel an hour just holding position. It was being employed in this industry that I witnessed first hand the dirty under belly of the oil industry. 11 years ago when I left this industry I promised myself I would turn over a new leaf and embrace any form of energy that doesn't destroy people's lives. Yes to all you folks that think I'm smug, I admit total disgust with the oil industry. I've "outed" myself, so go ahead and flame me.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2011, 11:59 AM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Hopefully Testla will get underway in production. They have one right now that just got assembled over in the plant for the Detroit auto show? I couldn't believe believe that they didn't have one in the SF International Auto Show this week. Amazingly dumb to not have one there but I think the whole show has taken a dive from what I hear there were no concept cars displayed as all the big manufacturers have every year. When I heard this a few days ago I decided not to go this year as I do most every year. I love the concepts.

Back to Tesla, we had a deal with Toyota when they were there repairing new cars damaged in shipping, that sort of thing. We hope to get the same deal with Tesla and the boss has been to some high-falutin parties and such.

One of the guys at work is trying to get a job there and has gone to a number of interviews. I would love to get into that company, I should go take a look. It would be a blast to be there.

Brian
Brian,

It couldn't hurt to bone up a bit on the current EV market because I would imagine the head of HR at Tesla is as fanatical about this new industry as I am.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:07 PM
WFO

Last wiki edit: Intake manifold
Last journal entry: 1980 Malibu Wagon
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1616

DO, I suspected there was more to the 'story' of they whys and wherefore's of you being into electric vehicles than simple tree hugging for just the sake of being one. One's conscience can be a powerful motivator, no flames from me.

I remember powerrodsmike taking a position w/an electric vehicle manufacturer(?), anyone heard how that's going? Or what company it is?
Old 11-26-2011, 12:13 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Thanks Cobalt327, I'm a bit ashamed to admit I profited from this industry, but being a 1997 graduate of the California Maritime Academy at the ripe old age of 44, I felt the need for fast compensation. I did get that, but also got many of life's lessons too.
Old 11-26-2011, 12:19 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,074 Times in 958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobalt327
DO, I suspected there was more to the 'story' of they whys and wherefore's of you being into electric vehicles than simple tree hugging for just the sake of being one. One's conscience can be a powerful motivator, no flames from me.

I remember powerrodsmike taking a position w/an electric vehicle manufacturer(?), anyone heard how that's going? Or what company it is?
I chatted with him a while ago and he was going fine though as I remember having the typical problems with upper management you get when working for a big company.

Brian
Old 11-26-2011, 12:35 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer
Brian,

It couldn't hurt to bone up a bit on the current EV market because I would imagine the head of HR at Tesla is as fanatical about this new industry as I am.
You noticed I had jumped off the technology train a while ago.

Brian
Old 11-26-2011, 12:38 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
You noticed I had jumped off the technology train a while ago.

Brian
No I didn't notice and not quite sure what you mean?
Old 11-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
You're too nice.

Brian
Old 11-26-2011, 02:30 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:

I think he means your handling us to lightly....
Old 11-26-2011, 02:42 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
I think he means your handling us to lightly....
I'm missing a lot of meaning here. If by handling lightly you mean I haven't let loose with stories about what drilling companies have done to their own employees from the Gulf States? Living in that part of the country, you no doubt are quite aware, but if not I could relate a story about domestic (mainly the Gulf States) labor that was abused my their employer, Noble Drilling.

Bob
Old 11-26-2011, 02:49 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
I'm missing a lot of meaning here. If by handling lightly you mean I haven't let loose with stories about what drilling companies have done to their own employees from the Gulf States? Living in that part of the country, you no doubt are quite aware, but if not I could relate a story about domestic (mainly the Gulf States) labor that was abused my their employer, Noble Drilling.

Bob

I Think he was meaning kick back at us a little more.. I maybe wrong.. But that's what I got from it...

As far as the drilling companies here.. I don't always agree with them,, But I know a lot of people that made a good living with them... I also know it isn't just the oil companies we need to worry about,,, It goes much deeper then that... We need to open Our eyes to everything around us.. Not just the Oil companies...
Old 11-26-2011, 02:57 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
I . I also know it isn't just the oil companies we need to worry about,,, It goes much deeper then that... We need to open Our eyes to everything around us.. Not just the Oil companies...
Couldn't agree more !!! We live in a time of unbridled greed from a lot of different sectors, banks, wall street, our own government, it is hard not to become cynical in today's greed infested climate.

Bob
Old 11-26-2011, 02:59 PM

Last photo:

Wow, was I off base or what the hell is going on here. Deck said. "It couldn't hurt to bone up a bit on the current EV market because I would imagine the head of HR at Tesla is as fanatical about this new industry as I am." to me referring to my comment on going over to Tesla looking for a job.

As it is clear by this thread I know NOTHING about the late electric car technology. I responded with "You noticed I had jumped off the technology train a while ago".

A poke at myself for the obvious lack of knowledge in the late model electric car technology.

Deck responded with "No I didn't notice and not quite sure what you mean?"

Which I thought was a kind remark like he hadn't noticed I was as clueless as a humming bird about electric car technology.

I then said "You're too nice." responding to Decks polite response.

Is this what just happened or am I sitting here trying to figure out who's on first?

Brian
Old 11-26-2011, 03:09 PM
www.tbuckets.lefora.com/

Last photo:

Quote:
Wow, was I off base or what the hell is going on here. Deck said. "It couldn't hurt to bone up a bit on the current EV market because I would imagine the head of HR at Tesla is as fanatical about this new industry as I am." to me referring to my comment on going over to Tesla looking for a job.

As it is clear by this thread I know NOTHING about the late electric car technology. I responded with "You noticed I had jumped off the technology train a while ago".

A poke at myself for the obvious lack of knowledge in the late model electric car technology.

Deck responded with "No I didn't notice and not quite sure what you mean?"

Which I thought was a kind remark like he hadn't noticed I was as clueless as a humming bird about electric car technology.

I then said "You're too nice." responding to Decks polite response.

Is this what just happened or am I sitting here trying to figure out who's on first?

Brian
Brian, you explained to me in a way I understood, thank you. For your late night reading I could give you many links to the EV industry, for me I just love the research going on in a constantly evolving new industry. But I admit to being a total nerd. I was the guy that spent countless hours in the library in my youth and now that the Internet has information at my finger tips just a search engine away, I spend way too much time doing just that.
Old 11-26-2011, 03:17 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Brian, you explained to me in a way I understood, thank you. For your late night reading I could give you many links to the EV industry, for me I just love the research going on in a constantly evolving new industry. But I admit to being a total nerd. I was the guy that spent countless hours in the library in my youth and now that the Internet has information at my finger tips just a search engine away, I spend way too much time doing just that.
Give me a couple of good links I can take it.

Brian

Tags
electric car, volt

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.