Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chevy vs Ford
Thread: Chevy vs Ford
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2004, 01:08 PM
NEVER use credit cards!

Last journal entry: car with tt2's, (stockers going back on)
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

i read alot of magazines and even in the latest i got that is doing a ford 351 build up they say that there is no way a factory 351 can match a 350 because the factory didnt give them the horsepower to. maybe with a set of AFR's or some such they should be equal. i never have been a ford fan anyway. as for the older hemi's they had to make alot of power to make up for their un-godly weight. which is probably why they didnt do that well outside of drag racing although i am pretty sure they were used in the nascar superbirds/daytonas, but they got outlawed shortly thereafter. they had by far the best head design of the day. in last years engine masters challange a chevy won but a ford was right on his nooksack, a virtual tie. sherman built it and it was near $20,000. so to whoever said he built a 400hp 302 for $2000 i say you missed a zero in there. if anybody can get 400hp for $2000 they must have spent it on a nos system and nothing on internals and that doesnt sound like a sherman project to me. sounds like the hrm "junk yard dog" projects, which i totally endorse btw. just take a used engine, throw some nitrous on it and wait for it to grenade, then buy a new one! i hadda 392 in my first ride and the damn thing couldnt get out of its own way. it was stock but it was in a t-bucket with headers. could have been the way too tall slicks on it too tho. but when it comes to spending money on engine parts, the hemi is the king. as for new engines, how can you beat the hp/torque numbers gm's new crate engines are puttin out? american speed enterprises has a 450hp crate sbc for under 5K, i guess that's how, but if you got the brain power to figure out the wiring, a used ls-1 out of a wreck would be hard to beat esp if you can score the 6 sp with it.
BOP engines and caddys make tremendous power but not high rpm's except for the 400 pontiac. i've seen stock buick torque figures that would poke yer eyeballs out! as well as boat drag olds-mo-bubbles that rev to 6800rpm. what ever floats yer boat, (ha) but to answer the bowtie vs blue oval Q i've given my opinion.

Last edited by bullheimer; 01-07-2004 at 11:05 AM.