Hot Rod Forum banner

Chevy vs Ford

9K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  r8ptan8 
#1 ·
This is a very bad subject to ask about but I wanna know.

A 350 chevy and a 351 Ford Motor I know can both make very good HP, but which one can make more? is There any certain engine parts that chevy makes better than ford or vice versa?
out of all the years which motor has had more HP stock?

With aftermarket parts would they both be pretty close?

#2 ·
There are too many variables to answer that correctly. Unless you want a troll-like number of responses you will need to be a little less vague with the question. Are you talking about stock displacement?

The parts for each are about the same price now because of the 5.0 parts getting cheaper.

#6 ·
from the factory the 351C did make more power than the 351W. But nowadays ,with the aftermarket available for the windsor, dollar for dollar the windsor usually beats the cleveland in making power. As far as 350 vs. 351...Id say dollar for dollar the 350 Chevy wins, doesnt mean the chevys better....just means Chevys parts are cheaper.

#7 ·
i hate this kind of thread, its always littered with die hard Chevy and ford fans arguing a topic that cannot be resolved.. the answer just isn't out there.. it used to be true that more parts were available cheaper for Chevy, but with the 5.0 racing crowd developing and competing for the last decade there are at least as many go fast parts for SB fords as for SBC. Sherman racing did a 302 ford for hot rod magazine it developed just over 400 Hp and cost just under 2000.

So i guess the best answer to the question of which best, is what bolts up to your transmission, ans fits your engine mounts....

#12 ·
If you want power get an Oldsmobile!! :thumbup:

Seriously though the response about what bolts up is probably the best. I would go this way unless I was building a machine from scratch, then I probably would use something a little more uncommon. How 'bout a Caddy, flatty or Olds, maybe even an early Hemi or a Buick nail head? It all depends what you're going for. Are you looking to just make it go or are you looking for a motor that stands out from the crowd?

#16 ·
There is every kind of engine you can think of under the hood of race cars somewhere. That doesn't mean anything. They aren't using the low cube 50s Hemi's in the race cars I think you are talking about either. In fact I bet the ones you are talking about are the all aluminum aftermarket castings anyway.

Jealousy? I have a '73 Challenger.

While dodge is bragging about their rehash Hemi, they should look on the other side of the fence at Ford's new V10. Even Ford's old Triton V10 is cooler than the new Hemi.

This should be Dodge's commercial:
That thing got a Hemi?:(

#17 ·
Sorry, Crazy, ....didn't mean to rile ya..................

Thats just something I like to do, ruffle a few feathers........

I have a bunch of Mopar fans and Ford fans for friends, and its my way of getting them going. By the way, its the same here, The Chryco boys have a shorter fuse.......................

#18 ·
lluciano77 said:
There is every kind of engine you can think of under the hood of race cars somewhere. That doesn't mean anything. They aren't using the low cube 50s Hemi's in the race cars I think you are talking about either. In fact I bet the ones you are talking about are the all aluminum aftermarket castings anyway.

Jealousy? I have a '73 Challenger.

While dodge is bragging about their rehash Hemi, they should look on the other side of the fence at Ford's new V10. Even Ford's old Triton V10 is cooler than the new Hemi.

This should be Dodge's commercial:
That thing got a Hemi?:(
Who siad anything about a "low cube 50's hemi"?

Hemi engines were/are used in the most EXTREME forms of motorsport, and have a race heritage equaled by WHAT?

This thread is about Chevy versus Ford, and a couple of babies have tossed in some insults which don't belong here.

Poncho- are you just a troll too? You post to "ruffle feathers"?
Why not post some UP CLOSE pictures of the cars/trucks you've owned, so we can see where you are coming from? Show us what makes you so dominant?
;)

I don't see a "shorter fuse" from the Chryco guys, I see a couple of jerks tossing around insults trying to cause trouble, and after the crap that has gone on here I think maybe those TRYING to cause trouble should be looked at by Jon next?

#21 ·
As far as 350 vs. 351...Id say dollar for dollar the 350 Chevy wins, doesnt mean the chevys better....just means Chevys parts are cheaper. [/B][/QUOTE]

I think stepside is right on with this one. I'm building a car right now that was going to be Chevy powered but I decided to go 351W Ford instead. You can definatly buy more HP for your buck with a Chevy. And for those of you that compare 5 Liter stuff to a 351W there are very few parts that interchange.

#22 ·
Crazy Mopar Guy said:
Who siad anything about a "low cube 50's hemi"?

Hemi engines were/are used in the most EXTREME forms of motorsport, and have a race heritage equaled by WHAT?

This thread is about Chevy versus Ford, and a couple of babies have tossed in some insults which don't belong here.

Poncho- are you just a troll too? You post to "ruffle feathers"?
Why not post some UP CLOSE pictures of the cars/trucks you've owned, so we can see where you are coming from? Show us what makes you so dominant?
;)

I don't see a "shorter fuse" from the Chryco guys, I see a couple of jerks tossing around insults trying to cause trouble, and after the crap that has gone on here I think maybe those TRYING to cause trouble should be looked at by Jon next?
I see a couple jerks calling me a big dumb head. I'm going to tell mom!

Settle down Beavis!

Can't you have a normal discussion without getting pissed off?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.