Hot Rod Forum banner

Chevy vs Ford

9K views 50 replies 20 participants last post by  r8ptan8 
#1 ·
This is a very bad subject to ask about but I wanna know.

A 350 chevy and a 351 Ford Motor I know can both make very good HP, but which one can make more? is There any certain engine parts that chevy makes better than ford or vice versa?
out of all the years which motor has had more HP stock?

With aftermarket parts would they both be pretty close?

#27 ·
guys you are missing the point, the question was:; which engine is best Chevy or ford.. ?? not ; can anyone name an engine of any kind they happen to like!!

and id say (and i have a mustang with a 302 ford, and a 32 ford hot rod with a 454 BBC) that the best engine on the market today wasn't produced 40 years ago but today, my choice would be a 2nd gen. caddy north-star, with twin turbos and modern electronics, or an aluminum block rodeck big block Chevy engine with dart 14 deg big chief heads and electronic stack fuel injection,

meanwhile back in the real world... id buy the engine that fit my transmission and engine bay

#28 ·
Chevy 4.000 inch bore and 3.480 inch stroke = 349.8485 CID
Ford 4.000 inch bore and 3.500 inch stroke = 351.8592 CID
With that small of a difference in the stroke I don't see a great
gain in Ford over Chevy.
Give them BOTH a 750 CFM carburetor of choice.
Give them BOTH the Edelbrock RPM AIR GAP intake.
Give them BOTH 9.5 to 1 compression.
Give them BOTH Edelbrock RPM cams Chevy gets 234/244@.05 & .488/.510"
...........................................................Ford gets 224/234@.05 & .496/.520"
Give them Both Edelbrock RPM heads Chevy gets 64cc chamber, 170cc/60cc runners, 2.02/1.6 valves, .575" max valve lift & angled plugs.
............................................................Ford gets 60cc chamber, 170cc/60cc runners, 2.02/1.6cc valves, .575" max valve lift & angled plugs.
Give them BOTH 1-3/4" by 30" headers, and 2-1/4" full length dual exhaust with a crossover just behind the headers.
Give them both a MSD 6AL COMPLETE system.
Run them BOTH on a desktop dyno or similar program, and I would go with the Ford for the power winner in that one as you would be awfully hard pressed to find the EXACT same parts producing the EXACT same results.

I'm still a Chevy guy by label, and would rather try something different when I can.
I am keeping my Malibu as stock as I can for show purposes ONLY.
My 1982 C-10 has the Cadillac 500 in it, because I can.
My 1991 Chevy S-10 is getting the V-8 treatment, BUT with an Oldsmobile diesel converted back to gas, because I can.
My 1985 Chevy Suburban will eventually be getting the Cadillac 500 treatment, but I have to get it back together and do an axle swap first.
If anyone seen my post in the lounge about my recent find I hope to aquire that Nailhead Buick engine thats up there.

#29 ·
M&M CUSTOM said:
My 1991 Chevy S-10 is getting the V-8 treatment, BUT with an Oldsmobile diesel converted back to gas, because I can.

Have you ever seen the Oldsmobile diesel engines that have been converted to gas and then stroked. Major bore plus the crank out of a olds 400 or 425, I don't remember exactly, yields 440 cubic inches of pure Oldsmobile small block. OH YEAH!!

#31 ·
I didn't want to get into this but one statement rubbed me the wrong way:
Hemi engines were/are used in the most EXTREME forms of motorsport, and have a race heritage equaled by WHAT?
The Hemi had, and still does do well in one form of racing.... Wanna guess what that is? Yup you guessed it Drag racing. Sure it had a few years of good racing in Nascar, but thats it a few. Ford, and Chevrolet have built engines just as successful for this type of racing.

So did the Hemi ever do well in road racing? No it didn't, no big blocks ever did no matter who made them. Sure dodge built a good engine for the Trans-Am series in the late 60's into the 70's, not a Hemi, a 340.

So where else did the Hemi make its mark? No where, if it wasn't straight line racing. I cannot even tell you for sure if the Hemi was even allowed in Nascar sanctioned events. (I'll have to find out) Even if they were there for the reign of the SuperBird, I can guarantee you the engine had a very minimal part of winning those races, it was the design of the car. It was Nascars SuperBirds, Daytonas that won races. It was so innovative they outlawed it because of its dominance.

Now I've said it a hundred times, the Hemi was a good engine, made great power. But it was not the only engine built back in the Muscle Car days like some Mopar boys would lead you to believe. As far as race heritage goes I think the only North American car that ever did any good in that era on the International stage was built by Ford. Cobra, GT40 etc. Thats hard for me to say cause I'm no Ford fan, but I think its true. I just get sick of the Mopar guys saying Hemi's this, Hemi's that. Relax on the Hemi Kick guys, Mopar did build other great, if not better performers. I understand everyone is entitled to their own opinion, just don't make a bold statement that just isn't true. You preach Mopar, I'll Keep preachin' Chevy, just don't make it sound like there was only one good mill, makes Mopar sound bad.

bonuts

#32 ·
OK Bonuts, and all the rest, maybe you are missing my point.....

If we had someone running around following a Chevy guy with the phrase "chev-ro-let-me-down" in all his posts, or in posts that had absolutely nothing to do with Chevys, time and time again- would you think the name-caller was being a bit of a jerk?
In a car enthusiasts forum?

I like all sorts of engines, not just Hemis. Not by a long shot.

#33 ·
Crazy Mopar Guy said:
OK Bonuts, and all the rest, maybe you are missing my point.....

If we had someone running around following a Chevy guy with the phrase "chev-ro-let-me-down" in all his posts, or in posts that had absolutely nothing to do with Chevys, time and time again- would you think the name-caller was being a bit of a jerk?
In a car enthusiasts forum?

I like all sorts of engines, not just Hemis. Not by a long shot.
Spoken like a true Hot Rodder.:thumbup:

#34 · (Edited)
i read alot of magazines and even in the latest i got that is doing a ford 351 build up they say that there is no way a factory 351 can match a 350 because the factory didnt give them the horsepower to. maybe with a set of AFR's or some such they should be equal. i never have been a ford fan anyway. as for the older hemi's they had to make alot of power to make up for their un-godly weight. which is probably why they didnt do that well outside of drag racing although i am pretty sure they were used in the nascar superbirds/daytonas, but they got outlawed shortly thereafter. they had by far the best head design of the day. in last years engine masters challange a chevy won but a ford was right on his nooksack, a virtual tie. sherman built it and it was near $20,000. so to whoever said he built a 400hp 302 for $2000 i say you missed a zero in there. if anybody can get 400hp for $2000 they must have spent it on a nos system and nothing on internals and that doesnt sound like a sherman project to me. sounds like the hrm "junk yard dog" projects, which i totally endorse btw. just take a used engine, throw some nitrous on it and wait for it to grenade, then buy a new one! i hadda 392 in my first ride and the damn thing couldnt get out of its own way. it was stock but it was in a t-bucket with headers. could have been the way too tall slicks on it too tho. but when it comes to spending money on engine parts, the hemi is the king. as for new engines, how can you beat the hp/torque numbers gm's new crate engines are puttin out? american speed enterprises has a 450hp crate sbc for under 5K, i guess that's how, but if you got the brain power to figure out the wiring, a used ls-1 out of a wreck would be hard to beat esp if you can score the 6 sp with it.
BOP engines and caddys make tremendous power but not high rpm's except for the 400 pontiac. i've seen stock buick torque figures that would poke yer eyeballs out! as well as boat drag olds-mo-bubbles that rev to 6800rpm. what ever floats yer boat, (ha) but to answer the bowtie vs blue oval Q i've given my opinion.:boxing:

#37 ·
wow crazy mopar guy! too cool for this school.:thumbup: hey tm454 i believe you now, but this guy DOES own a machine shop after all. now i couldnt read all them itsy bitsy letters in the article but i would have to bet i couldn't begin to afford all the machine work he did to it for free. but i did read the line where it says YOU could duplicate it for under $2500. unfortunately i couldnt find my die grinder with both hands!:rolleyes: so I couldnt duplicate it for no 2500.

jeeze, that big long wheelie with NO wheelie bars! :eek:

#39 ·
Schubeck makes a 4 valve per cylinder Hemi, it has a "pent roof" chamber.
It's a "pent roof Hemi".
http://www.schubeckracing.com/index2.html

I guess each engine has it's own territory, or territories, but the four valve per cylinder stuff has a ton of design superiorities that can be taken advantage of?

Dodge Neons, Audis, Volvos, all use a pent roof chamber in various applications.

#40 ·
yeah I had an old 78 cordoba that had a 360 in it. When I was rebuilding the motor it reall dawned on me how much I really liked the 360 mopar. I am a ford man all the way but I really think it is more convienient or easier to work on mopar engines. But I am ford blue tried and true but you gotta love them mopars.

#41 ·
Hey Deuce _454. I just read the article for the first on the 400 H.P. 302. I couldn't believe that my 302 has almost the same specs. Same cam only with a .496 lift instead of the .517 and I'm running roller rockers. I'm using a 600 cfm Holly verses his 750. Small world. Hey Bull, I used my die grinder. Norm.

#43 ·
In my opinion, I don't like the chevy exhaust port design. The 2 in the middle has got to store alot of heat near the center of the head. Plus the length of 2 center header tubes is shorter than the outer 2 per head. So I don't even know what that would do for backpressure. Are there any benefits to this design that I'm not thinking about?

I like the Ford ones better. Everything is spaced out evenly. Looks better, probably cooler. Still not sure about the ramifications of backpressure, can anyone explain?

MoocH

#44 · (Edited)
i dont know much about fords quality because i never got into them. as for block thickness etc. i couldnt even begin to tell you. i can tell you that yeah, chevy does have a little prob with the siamesed ex. ports and i really wish the guy who decided to put the distributor in the back of the engine had one shoved up his happy hole! as for general overall quality, since chevy's camaro went **** up due to lack of craftsmanship and ford is still selling a ton of mustangs, i would have to give that to ford. i also prefered ford 4x4's to chevy's as well even tho i own a chev. but only because in the late 70's ford put limited slip front and rears in their trucks while chevy used open gears, which blow.

even tho magazine writers may or may not know what the hell they are talking about and i just said this in my pony car post i will quote you word for word an article about a FORD build up 347 stroker to be exact , out of a truck mag: oct 2003 custom classic truck::

"the chevy small block is undoubtedly the king of racing and hot rodding, but there is little doubt that the ford small block beats everything else for a solid second rankning in performance engines. in the mid 60's the mustang debut was a success because the high perf. 289 competed on an even footing with the chevy 283. as the muscle car era progressed, the small block ford 289 and 302 fell behind in performance to the larger 327 and 350 chevys. the maxs hp of a production line boss 302 was 290 hp, while there wer numerous factory stock small block chevys that easily exceeded that number. when ford eventually upped the displacement of the small blocks to 351 in 1969, the performance still never exceeded 290 hp "
later he talks about how the ford heads have a hump that restricts flow, needs to be enlarged to at least 160 cc from 145 to match a chevy, and bags on the stock intake design with too sharp of bends due to intake ports being some close to the carb and some far away ( dont dont have any idea what he's talking about) and the smaller size of the valves.

just that writers opionion.

#45 ·
Different question, always same answer: GOT MONEY?? With enough cash, anything can make gobs of power, be reliable, fly, float, whatever.... I mean, if you can build a 10 sec honda....

#46 ·
Yeah I would have to agree with bullheimer. The 350 is very versitle. It also can be built with little bucks for big bang. But you have to agree that if you spend the G's and the time with a good old fashioned FE block you will have some serious stompin power... Oooh! Can I get an ahmen?!

300 inline forever baby

#49 ·
chevy-ford-hemi-jap crap

Who really cares what the other guy stashes in his garage? I don't, run what YOU think is best. In my opinion the chevy is cheaper to build up and the hemi weighs a ton and fords don't sound the way I need and engine to sound, but thats JUST my opinion and dosn't mean anything to anyone other than me, so who cares?? A guy at work bought a 426 wedge in pieces and is having it all machined and balanced and with the duel quad cross flow intake he just bought he has $9k in it, no headers, or carb or distributor and it still needs to be assembled? $1400 in a rebuilt 727 trans and new torque convertor and he just bought a Super bee to drop it into for $5900! You run what you want and I'll run what I want and these guys who ask which is better ford or chevy, man they are just trolls trying to start trouble and some of them are very good at it. Don't play the trolls game. This post serves no purpous other than inflame people, don't play the trolls game.

Tazz
trolloligest

Rat Rods Rule!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.