chevy's engine block number HELP!!!!! - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005, 12:54 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

chevy's engine block number HELP!!!!!

i am trying to find my block numbers i looked everywhere!!! there's no numbers on the back by the bell housing and the only numbers on this block inside and out is on the front by the water pump. all i know it's a small block for sure but i want to build it and i don't know what it is the numbers off the fron is 14r433474 and the other right beside it was t0206cmr i am lost this is the first i ever had this problem. ten sites and no one has these numbers to identify HELP!!!!! thanks

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-23-2005, 02:48 PM
Member# 3287

Last journal entry: Vortec Heads
Last photo:

"CMR" comes back to either a 305 or a 350. Measure the diameter of one of the cylinders. If it's 4", it's a 350. If it's 3.75", it's a 305.
Old 04-23-2005, 03:30 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Casting numbers

Doc here,

Found this on Mortec's Site:

http://www.mortec.com/locatpg2.htm

Some of the Engine Suffix letter code combinations were used a number of times. For example, in 1974 the suffix code "CMR" was used on three different vehicle models with the same engine and transmission combinations. "CMR" was again used in '78 with a Corvette and a different engine/transmission combination. You would need to look at the block casting date to know which year the block was made to narrow down the possibilities. Relying solely on the suffix code to identify the original use of the block can be misleading. You need to look at ALL of the casting identifiers before making your determination. Deciphering VIN numbers, trim tags and original factory documentation can also help. If you need help decoding the suffix codes, just email us.

On later model engines the engine assembly code looks similar to this "T0422TR". In this case the first letter "T" stands for an engine factory Tonawanda. Your's might have an "F" or "V" for Flint, MI. The next two digits stand for the month of the year, in this example "04" or the fourth month April. The "22" stands for the 22nd day of the month. So what do we have so far in this example? The motor was assembled at the Tonawanda factory on April 22nd. The years are not given. What we have left is the "suffix code" which in this example is "TR". Chevy used one to three letters of the alphabet to code the type of engine, transmission and vehicle into the suffix code. In later years, parts of the Vehicle Identification Number (V.I.N.) were also added before or after the Engine Assembly Date/Suffix code. In that case you might see "T0422TR 1123456789" stamped into the pad on the front passenger side of the block. Sometimes the engine V.I.N. was stamped into a different area of the block on the flange edge of the rear of the block, near the bellhousing mating surface. Sometimes the stamping is found above the timing cover mating surface on the front of the block.

Use the link and read more about it , and/ or email them for a definitive answer.

Doc

Last edited by docvette; 04-23-2005 at 03:37 PM.
Old 04-24-2005, 12:36 AM
Home School Valedictorian

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 4

The engine should be a 74. The partial VIN code you give 14R433474 breaks down as:
1= Chevy
4= last digit in year, the code CMR was used in 74 (to verify find the date cast on the block)
R= Final assembly Arlington Texas
433474= last six digits in VIN from vehicle engine was installed in.

I think the Texas plant produced B-bodied cars, Caprice, Impala etc.
Old 04-24-2005, 01:31 AM

Last photo:

numbers?

no numbers on the back?? ive never seen one without! i once had a 305 that was a factory crate replacement but even it had a casting on the back but no stamping on the front it had GM5.0 casting on the back. maybe its just covered in sludge is it cleaned?? i use nastyz28.com to check #s they list and explain every number everywhere on chevy blocks check it out!
Old 04-24-2005, 10:15 AM

numbers

thanks that's alot of help!!!! yes the engine is clean i had it hot tank and before they painted it i made sure i got every number off the block i checked the sleeves and they are 4.00 so i take it is a 350. i have never seen that the number were not on the back also i haved had more than enough shares of chevy motors big block to 4 cyls. so it was weird to me not to see it on the back. thank you very much for the help
Old 07-23-2007, 09:26 PM

found t0206cmr breaks down to it was made in TONAWANDA IN FEBUARY 6TH
THE CMR WAS USED NUMEROUS TIMES YOU WILL NEED THE CASTING NUMBERS ON THE LEFT REAR OF THE BLOCK. FROM WHAT I FOUND CMR WAS USED 3 TIMES, IN 1974 350 WITH AN TH TRANS, IN 1978 350 MANUAL TRANS USED IN VETTS AND Z-28 AND 1980 WHICH IS A 305 BUT YOU SAID IT IS A 4 INCH BORE SO THAT IS NOT IT, THAT IS ALL I HAVE FOR YOU
Old 07-23-2007, 10:13 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Doc here,

This post is over 2 years old...

Doc

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.