chewing starters up - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> General Rodding Tech
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2009, 03:53 PM
if it can go wrong it will

Wiki Edits: 0

chewing starters up

I have put 4 starters in 2 days on my chevy small block, its built but not enough a factory starter cant handle. I finaly noticed something i didnt like a whole lot, one of my bolts wiggle ever so slightly when i thread it in by hand without the starter and it think its enough to make the starter kick away from the flexplate enough to allow the starter gear to slip. Is that a posibility and if so whats a good way to get that bolt to hold beter?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2009, 05:33 PM

ow close are your headers to the starter? could be you are just frying the solenoid. to much heat off the headers. Try a wrap on the header
Old 08-20-2009, 05:35 PM
Evil Wicked Mean And Nasty

Last wiki edit: Pilot bearing and bushings
Last journal entry: roof repair
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 37

What type automobile are we talking about? Cole
Old 08-20-2009, 06:00 PM

They are right damn close but never really had and issue before on other motors. Its an 86 gmc shortbed pickup. Would a mini starter be a good solution.....arent they more heat resistant?
Old 08-20-2009, 06:38 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Choosing a trailer
Last journal entry: Jan 13 2013
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 6

Do you have the CORRECT factory supplied starter bolts. The CORRECT ones are knurled ... to help prevent the starter from moving. GM also has a front brace for starters ... to help with that same issue.

Here are the bolts ...

Here is the starter front bracket

I have found these two items to eliminate most of the problems you are experiencing.

"I won't be wronged . I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. "

Old 08-20-2009, 08:07 PM

Yes sir i have the right bolts brand new but that raises another question....a buddy of mine told me to check and make sure my block took standard 3/8 thread bolts or metric bolts but i have a 2 piece rear main and i was told that was pre-metric era but is there a chance they are metric holes? I will definatly try the rear bracket and see if that helps. Thanks alot.
Old 08-21-2009, 09:44 AM

Last photo:

Are you tightening them up enough? I see everybody talking about having to have those knurled bolts, but the starter on my race engine doesn't have them and I've had zero starter issues. Can anybody tell me what the knurled bolts are supposed to do? Not to hijack the thread.
Old 08-21-2009, 11:21 AM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Health and safety in the shop or garage
Last journal entry: 36 Ford painting
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

Deuce is on the right track here. Also, where are you buying these starters? If yu're getting them at some Pep Boys type of store, there's a good chance you're buying junk. There's a big difference in remanufacured and reconditioned. There's a big difference in Jobbers that supply these services. There's a good reason for those useless warranties they throw at you to get you to buy their crap. Try a Napa or if there's one in your area, a rebuild shop. I will not buy alternators, starters, any bolt on items frm the crap stores that push their junk. Save those stores for waxes, air freshners, oil.
Old 08-21-2009, 01:33 PM

The knurled part of the bolt goes in the block just a little bit and of course still in the starter and help hold the starter centered is all ive been told but i also found that im using a 3510m which is a metric starter so i have slop around my standard bolt. Im gonna get the right one tomorow and no i agree with you on the auto zone style starters i wouldnt use one for a boat anchor cuz it prolly wouldnt do that right haha. Who knows whats goin on the next one i put on is geting loktite and lock washers and a rear brace ill be damned if it will move again.Thanks for the replies.
Old 08-22-2009, 12:29 AM

I still think it's a heat issue. Buy a soleniod and replace it on one of your bad starters and see if it works again .If it does then it is for sure a heat issue and I would wrap the exhaust.
Old 08-26-2009, 06:02 PM

Ok ive wraped the headers but a new flywheel on and a new starter and it was grinding right off the bat. Taking a closer look i saw the starter gear is only coming in contact with half or less than half of my flywheel and is chewing the flexplate and the starter gear up sometimes lasting 3 or 4 days or wont even start it 1 time. Its almost like my flexplate is too far towards the motor or the starter is too far back. The round bearing looking thing on the end of the bendix gear shaft is siting right in the middle of the flexplate so i know the bendix gear cant come out far enough to cover the whole teeth surface. What would cause the the starter to not be in the right place?
Old 09-02-2009, 03:31 AM
likes chevy trucks & boobies

Last photo:

try another nose cone

no shims

have corect bolts already then that will be not a cause of the problem

if it were me i would just snag a good working original untouched starter from another car or truck large style non metric one with the same size flywheel or flexplate

168 tooth for staggered boltsnose cone

153 tooth for straight across bolts nose cone

and no shims

and it will work fine

unless there is an issue with the bolt holes in the engine block

i never buy new starters

always are junk

remanufactured garbage

i only find and use old stock untouched ones

and RARELY does one ever go bad

new isnt always better or good.

especially these days now.

good luck!
Old 09-08-2009, 10:01 PM

I put my truck up on a lift and fired the starter gear out without it spining so it would just jump out to the flywheel and with no shims at all, the starter gear isnt meshing with the flexplates teeth but half way. I understand to have appropriate alignment the starter should mesh with the flexplate so that you can only get a paperclip in between the teeth but i can almost fit a small nail and its allowing the starter to jump off my flexplate. Ive been told to grind down the 2 parts of the starter that mate to the block but that didnt do it either im still not grabing much of the flexplate. What are the odds that the block was messed up in casting or something but being a 0010 block from 1970 it should have been a problem for a long time but i know the motor ran for 4 years no problem with a plane jane 3510 starter but now that its been built i cant find a starter to grab the flexplate right. Im getting highly pissed aggrivated and dont know what else to do. Its not heat the headers and starter are wraped, its not a compression issue its bout 10-1, its a stagard bolt starter and 168 tooth flexplate, the flexplates on right, using factory knurled bolts and support bracket from the starter to block, everything i could think of is right. Ive even tore the teeth off a high torque starter but it wont a mini but still an expensive ******* up. HELP ME
Old 09-08-2009, 10:23 PM
More for Less Racer

Shimming just the outboard bolt swings the starter gear deeper into mesh with the ring gear. I have parted out GM cars from the 70's to the 90's that have had almost 1/8" of shim on just the outside starter bolt that appeared to be factory or done early in the cars life. My Dad as a mechanic in the 60's and 70's said it was a regular thing to have to shim a starter and every auto parts store/garage carried the shims. I have noticed that most of the mini starters I've installed come with shims and directions on how to determine if they are needed or not.

Any discrepancy is in the starter nose cone or flexplate and not the block.

I have also seen reports lately of replacement flexplates being slightly too small in diameter(chinese), even SFI approved race stuff.
Old 09-09-2009, 12:26 AM

Here's a conscideration, check the "thrust" on the crank. How far can you move the crank "in-and-out"? It may take a long prybar, or it may not. It's more common to see an engine lose it's thrust on stick shift/clutch cars-trucks. Some 30 years ago, my sisters 68 Camaro with a 327, had a similar problem with starter motors grinding, not engaging, and eventually needing replacement. After a major overhaul, with a new crank, those problems went away.

Recent General Rodding Tech posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.