Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - chicago electric mig welder
View Single Post
Old 01-06-2009, 02:21 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

IMO, you do have to pick and choose what to buy from HF. I bought a flux core wire welder from HF. It works, but not great. Had it not been on sale for a little over $100 I would not have bought it. Sometimes the wire does not feed properly if the cable is bent too tightly, adjustabilty is quite limited. I have used good MIGS and there is no comparison. Does it get the job done? Sure it does, Was it worth 100 bucks, absolutely. But I only use it once in a while.
IF you were loaded ($$$$$ not alcohol), then I would buy a LIncoln or other proven brand name product. But since you are looking at HF brand stuff, you, like so many of us, probably cant justify shelling $500-up for shop equipment. so here is what I recommend:
If you are going to use it infrequently, then go for cheaper MIG.
If you are going to use it ALOT, then save for a good one, maybe a lower end Lincoln or similar.
If the reviews are good for a Clarke, try it out. I have a 8" Clarke bench grinder that is 3/4 hp. Pretty wimpy for a 3/4 hp grinder, so I am not sure how good the rest of their stuff is, made in China too no doubt.