Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board

Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/)
-   Garage - Tools (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/garage-tools/)
-   -   chicago electric mig welder (http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/chicago-electric-mig-welder-150387.html)

Stangman196700 12-28-2008 07:38 PM

chicago electric mig welder

i was wondering if anyone has tried a chicago electric mig welder? any complaints?

302 Z28 12-28-2008 09:39 PM

Don't expect much, made in China :pain:

Vince

NEW INTERIORS 12-28-2008 10:07 PM

I agree with Vince on this..Remember you get what you pay for.. :pain: I advise you to put out the extra to get something better.You will be much happier.

Cheap welder=harder to make better welds... :pain:

Good welder= easier to make better welds.. :D

Just my 2 cents.. :)

JeffB 12-28-2008 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangman196700
i was wondering if anyone has tried a chicago electric mig welder? any complaints?

If you are on a budget you might want to check this out on Google: Clarke Mig Welders, they are made in Italy w/ 10 year warranty, some parts interchange with Lincolns'.I spent a lot of research time looking,and almost all the internet posts on Chicago Electric(Harbor Freight) welders come up negative,also the made in China flux wire was not good either, people had better results with the Lowes and Home Depot brands.Harbor Freights' self darkening helmets did get good grades.Put the model number of the unit you are looking at in Google search and check out the ratings before you buy no matter what brand.

grouch 12-28-2008 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stangman196700

If that's the Harbor Freight 220V "MIG 151", I have a "refurbished" one. It has worked well enough for my needs.

Complaints:

1. Not designed to hold the large (10 lb.) spools of wire.
(Can cobble a bushing from a 2 lb. spool).

2. Finicky control for wire feed speed -- small movement of the knob can make disproportionate changes in speed.

3. Leaky gas hose or valve. (Turn off the tank valve to conserve gas between setups).

4. Manual says nothing about the twin grooves in the wire feed wheel; one is for .035 in., 0.9 mm (typical flux core) and one is for .024 in., 0.6 mm wire.

None of these complaints are sufficient to make me regret saving about $400. I do not depend on this welder to make a living; it's for my hobby use only. The welder does not prevent making quality welds.

NEW INTERIORS 12-28-2008 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grouch
If that's the Harbor Freight 220V "MIG 151", I have a "refurbished" one. It has worked well enough for my needs.

Complaints:

1. Not designed to hold the large (10 lb.) spools of wire.
(Can cobble a bushing from a 2 lb. spool).

2. Finicky control for wire feed speed -- small movement of the knob can make disproportionate changes in speed.

3. Leaky gas hose or valve. (Turn off the tank valve to conserve gas between setups).

4. Manual says nothing about the twin grooves in the wire feed wheel; one is for .035 in., 0.9 mm (typical flux core) and one is for .024 in., 0.6 mm wire.

None of these complaints are sufficient to make me regret saving about $400. I do not depend on this welder to make a living; it's for my hobby use only. The welder does not prevent making quality welds.

grouch..Didn't mean you couldn't make Quality welds..Sometimes I have a hard way of putting it into words.But what I was trying to say,Is it's like dial up vs high speed cable.They both work,But which is better,I guess if you don't use it alot,Its OK,But if your going to use it alot get a good one.I guess I'm gone by my use,I use mine everyday..Just my two cents.. :D

grouch 12-29-2008 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
grouch..Didn't mean you couldn't make Quality welds..Sometimes I have a hard way of putting it into words.But what I was trying to say,Is it's like dial up vs high speed cable.They both work,But which is better,I guess if you don't use it alot,Its OK,But if your going to use it alot get a good one.I guess I'm gone by my use,I use mine everyday..Just my two cents.. :D

It wasn't my intention to argue against the points you and Vince made -- only to describe the view from the other end of the scale. :)

Stangman196700 didn't specify what usage the welder was being considered for. The first reply could have been simply, "It depends", but that's no fun. Besides, he/she asked for complaints about the tool.

Complaints also depend upon the user and the usage, so I included that info as well. Someone like you or powerrodsmike would likely find the first two complaints I listed completely intolerable because of just the amount of welding you do. Those quirks of the tool are not so bad for someone spending a couple of days a month welding. (The 2 lb. spool that came with the welder was just enough for me to figure out how to use it and enough to convince me to get a tank of gas and stop using flux core. The 10 lb. spool that replaced it lasted a whole summer).

BTW, I learned to stick weld on a 100% duty cycle welder/generator powered by an air-cooled Onan engine. You could get plenty of penetration welding railroad rails together with that thing without bevelling the edges. It wouldn't be the first thing I'd recommend for a home shop, though.

That's a roundabout way of saying none of us can give blanket recommendations for or against a solution unless we're given enough details about the problem to be solved.

oldred 12-29-2008 06:11 AM

For a budget welder the Clarke seems to be gaining a pretty good reputation and it only costs a few dollars more the HF machines. One of the members here was quite impressed with his Clarke and after trying one I can see why, darn good machine for the money.

timothale 12-29-2008 07:44 AM

check used

I bought a used lincoln from a pro welder that was retiring.. an old sp200 that is about the size of a clother dryer and weighs so much that we moved it around outside with the backhoe when we had to build an 8 ft " sight obsecuring" fence when the farm got rezoned into the city.. I still like older Made in the USA tools over new import. Most major brands still have parts and tech support if you need it.

oldred 12-29-2008 07:55 AM

That thing is heavy for a reason, a good reason! :)

trees 12-29-2008 07:58 AM

I bought a mig from Harbor Freight (Chicago Electric) in 1993BC (Before China) and it was worse than all the things Grouch said plus it burned the circuit board with probably less than 15 hours of welding. Replacement parts? Who said replacement parts? I would have taken some replacement parts but there were no replacement parts. I scrapped it with malice and it will be Miller or other major brand time for me.

Trees

willys36@aol.com 12-29-2008 08:54 AM

As you all know, I am a HF junkie - buy most of my tools there. However, discretion is advised, there are some HF tools to steer clear of. Hack saw blades, recirpri-saws, sheet metal shears come to mind. I would put their wire-feed welders in that category. You can get a Lincoln 100 series welder for not much more than the HF house brand (I got my Lincoln at Harbor Freight!) and quality, ease of use, are all much superior to the Chinese unit.

oldred 12-29-2008 08:58 AM

There are however a few good examples of the HF machines and the one example of the "Duel Mig" model that I have seen has been a good one. Sometime back I had a thread on the HF TIG that a buddy of mine bought and he also bought the "Duel Mig", both for a total of $400 and both of these things have held up just fine. I am not saying anyone is wrong about them and that they are all good machines but I am just saying that they are a crap shoot and one person may get a good one while the next one won't, of course the term "good" is used very loosely here. HF has several different models of both MIG and flux core welders and a couple of different TIG machines so it may be that some models are better than others which seems to be the case with a lot of things they sell. I would never recommend to anyone to go to HF to buy a welder of any kind but to be fair the "duel Mig" and that little DC only TIG machine that my buddy bought has held up just fine for several years now and he has done quite a bit with them although they are as "bare bones" as they can get, at $400 for both of them they have paid for themselves several times over.

oldred 12-29-2008 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willys36@aol.com
I got my Lincoln at Harbor Freight!

Sometimes name brands do pop up there but it seems to be on an occasional basis and I would guess that it is probably surplus merchandise they bought out. I have also seen genuine Victor torch outfits and Hobart 225 AMP gasoline powered welders at real bargains, and I mean cheap like $129 for that Victor torch set with regulators and 25 ft of hose! :eek:

DaSouthWon 12-29-2008 09:39 AM

It's kind of funny how the opinions vary as too the quality of the HF tools. I have bought a fair amount of items from HF and find that every single thing they sell is hit or miss. I've bought 2 of the exact same tools, used them exactly the same and one lasts 2 months and the other lasted 2 years. Buying tools from a communist government subsidized industry is a gamble. Whats really a challenge is trying to return a defective product, they look at you with the "you were the dummy that bought a $300 dollar tool at HF" in their eyes as they tell you sorry and point you to the area to BUY a new one. I usually just stick to buying expendables there now such as sand paper, and abrasive blast media. Just my $.02