Chicago electrics powder coat system - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-25-2003, 07:35 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

Question Chicago electrics powder coat system

Harbor Freight has a Chicago powder coating system for $59.99. Has anyone used this tool, if so how does it work?
To coat just the rims on my sonís ATV will cost more than this unit and I have tons of small stuff that I want to coat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-26-2003, 10:26 AM

I've had pretty good luck with mine, finishing brackets and other small- and medium-size parts. The finish is smooth and looks great. That said, powdercoating isn't quite the quick, clean finishing method I had imagined. You'll need to set up some kind of a booth or hood to contain the powder that does get past the target item. The stuff is horrid to sweep up because it is so fine. Although the instructions warn about an explosion hazard if you don't use an explosionproof vacuum cleaner, I've so far survived vacuuming up small amounts of it with my old shopvac. I do wear a respirator and run an exhaust fan while I'm powdering parts and cleaning up. Once you get the powder onto the parts, you need to cure it. For that, I ended up buying a standard electric stove from the Salvation Army and hooking it up in the garage. (You can't cure in the kitchen oven where food is cooked too.) You could presumably do small parts in a toaster oven, but the full-size oven is easier--For one thing, you can hang the parts from the oven racks with wire. Hanging the parts for coating and curing is one of the big challenges. I will probably rig up a hood in such a way that I can hang the parts from the oven rack, slide the rack into the hood for coating, then slip it into the oven for curing without handling the parts. Despite the challenges, I think home powdercoating is worthwhile. The cost, including a good used electric stove, is undoubtedly far less than it would have cost to send out the parts for coating.

LarryJ
Old 11-26-2003, 12:59 PM

Thanks for the info.
I have a small oven that will just fit the rims from my sons quad, I figure I only really need to coat the outside on them, just doing it for looks.
It has racks in the oven so like you said I was thinking I could hang the small parts spray them than slide them into the oven.

Most of the stuff I coat are small brackets and such on motorcycles.
Old 11-26-2003, 01:46 PM

Last photo:

I have been real happy with mine also. I use Eastwood powders rather than those they sell at Harbor Freight. Also, make sure your parts are CLEAN. If not it will fisheye. After cleaning I prebake the parts just in case. Seemed to work much better after I started doing that.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.