Chime on s10 wont go off while truck running - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2011, 05:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chime on s10 wont go off while truck running

Hello guys I have stumbled into a issue today and my chime is giving me issues here and this is a 96 chevy s10.

What is happening the chime comes on naturally when you open the door or leave your keys in the ignition but once the door is closed it goes off and when you put the key into the ignition it will come back on but once your turn the key forward it stops which is normal.

Now the issue I am having is if I turn my light's on then the stupid chime comes on and won't shut off and while driving at night it is driving me nuts. I did find out if I turn my dash light's off all the way down then it turns off but the minute I turn my dash light's dimmer switch back up to see my dash lights it comes on again.

My main question is does anywhere know where the chime module or whatever makes it to make the noise is at so I can disable it once and for all. I can't take the fuse out cause it is tied in with my stop lights and turn signals.
Thanks
Eric

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-25-2011, 05:20 PM

Last photo:

Just listen for it, find it (the module chiming) and cut it out and tape it up.

It is indicative of a wiring issue however that could cause other issues like a slow drain on the battery, maybe resolving the malfunction is the better road to take.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:11 PM

Last photo:

Thanks for the tip I listen for it and it sound like its under the middle of the dash but man I don't want to have to take the whole dash out just to get to it. It just started to happen last week and I did not mess with anything. As far as I have tested there are no issues with battery drain or anything like that. I have tested several things and they are fine. I don't have any computer controls as my truck has a carbureted v8 in it right now and I have no working gauges on the dash anyways.
Eric
Old 06-26-2011, 07:24 AM

The most likely problem is a ground wire that has come off somewhere, which is causing a backfeed of voltage/ground through the dash lights circuit. I would check for a ground wire for the dash (maybe connected to the emergency brake bracket), grounds for each headlight that go the firewall, and grounds for each tail-light.

I can't explain all the weird paths electricity will take in a car, but any missing ground causes a problem. For example, if I take the ground wire off one of my headlights, the turn signal indicator in my dash comes on continuously when the lights are on. If I take the dash ground off I end up with a temp gauge that flips back and forth in time with the turn signals.

Bruce
Old 06-26-2011, 01:18 PM

Last photo:

Well I will check my lights and stuff but all my lights do work just fine. I did find my chime box and yanked it out. Somehow it might be that my volt meter does not any longer work in my dash gauges but that was the only one working anyways that was left. I have a 350 turbo tranny and all my stuff is mechanical from gauges etc. I have a after market gauge set and my system is charging as it should etc. No none issues except that. I am going to take out my gauge factory panel anyways cause I have a speedometer to put in just need to get a plate made to hold it. Well thanks for input guys.
Eric
Old 06-26-2011, 02:31 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Engine basic condition - how to check Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 26

The switch in your ignition cylinder is no good so it did not realize your key was on. If the lights are on and the key is off the chime will ring.

Chet

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.