china drag strip verses japan drag strip - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2009, 01:49 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

china drag strip verses japan drag strip

so have you herd of any ?
then why buy there intakes and such .
any luck with there parts verses American drag performance parts .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-18-2009, 01:58 PM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Have no problem buying Japanese stuff if American made is not available. Chinese stuff is a different story, but give 'em time and they'll also be world class. Japanese stuff was junk when they began rebuilding after WWII, but they got their act together. China will also.

The Japanese have refined their manufacturing to the point where their stuff is pretty much state of the art. I'll even go so far as to say I would rather have Japanese stuff over American stuff.

I sold Toyotas for a while and was able to drive all the different models for over 4 years. Some models in the same product are built in Japan and in America. The Corolla, for instance, is built in both countries. I can guarantee you that the Japanese-built Corolla drives better, has better quality control and is quieter than the California-built Corolla. Anyone looking to buy a Toyota Corolla should look for a "J" serial number car (the VIN starts with J). That goes for any Toyota model. If the car/truck is built in two different countries, one of them being Japan, always insist on the "J" car. You won't be sorry.

I'm unsure if this goes for other manufacturers, but it sure does apply to Toyotas.
Old 09-18-2009, 05:42 PM

Last wiki edit: Mopar tapered axle rear brake conversion
Last journal entry: What I'm doing now...
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 49

Jap stuff is high quality but not much made for American cars anymore. The junk coming from China is and always will be crap. Mostly knockoffs of US designs. Those PowerPlus polished intake manifolds are direct copies of Edelbrock designs but they're made of substandard aluminum using poor casting techniques. Thats what happens when a country has no plagiarism laws.

Japan improved their quality over the years because they are a capitalist society and had incentive to do so. China on the other hand is a communist society and by definition has no incentive to improve anything, just produce as much as possible as cheaply as possible to undercut everyone else.

By the way, check your new tires very closely for a made in China mark. Goodyear, Firestone and other major US manufacturers have moved a lot of their production over there and just like everything else the quality of the tires made in China is crap.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:01 PM
http://www.warsprints.com

Last journal entry: W.A.R. (Wingless Auto Racing) Sprint Car Racing
Last photo:

Ford Going To China

Now get this. The Michigan Ford plant is requiring that a Chinese company build "carriers" for their plant and it's up to the company that I work for here in the US to make sure they are successful at doing so. We built a proto-type in our shop, the Chinese came over and took ton's of pictures, my company has several Project managers and Engineers in China right now to ensure they build them to our quality standards and to make sure they use the right materials. Now, the company I work for would not normally do this (i don't think) in a good economy but with the way things are right now, it's a matter of survival and keeping the doors open. It amazes me how the US companies are stooping to these levels to put Americans out of work. I don't disagree with importing goods but I do believe that it should be a 50/50 dealing. We should allow 50% importation in return for 50% exportation.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:53 PM
Will I ever get it done?

Last journal entry: Leading
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by S10 Racer
We should allow 50% importation in return for 50% exportation.
Read either of the FairTax books. The FairTax would make American exports more attractive and imports less attractive. No fancy calculations of percentages or "stop sending us tires or we'll stop sending you chicken feet."

The real problem is that it may be too late. China already has the production side of things. They are on the verge of becoming a leading consumer nation. Same deal with India. Once the 2 + billion people in these two countries are producers AND consumers, then America becomes irrelevant. I have been to China and saw what is going on.
Old 09-19-2009, 06:43 AM
Troll Hunter

Last photo:

Just a little comment on the original post...I can't speak for China, but Japan has had drag strips as early as the late 60s. Their events used to be reported on regularly in Hot Rod when they covered international motorsports events. Once again, can't speak for China, but you would likely be surprised at how much the Japanese mimic our behaviour and styles. Elvis is still alive in Japan.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:45 PM
im on a highway to hell

Last journal entry: new wheels and seats
Last photo:

didn't sweeden invent the blonde?????? i bet you would date an american blonde......
Old 09-20-2009, 06:47 PM

Last wiki edit: How to title a hot rod Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 1

BUY AMERICAN and KEEP AMERICANS WORKING.
There is a huge trade deficit in this country because we all bought foriegn. Now we have become basiccally a service run economy.And the tree huggers helpef that along too, .Too much pollution for them etc,
Old 09-29-2009, 02:22 PM

I personally hate how some of these people act like because they drive a Chevy built in Mexico they are somehow helping the US Economy over someone driving a Honda made in the U.S.. And then they go home and watch the news on their Chinese made televisions and ***** about it all online on their Chinese made computers while sitting on their Korean made furniture while wearing their Taiwan made clothing. It just baffles me that for some reason people feel they should only support American made vehicles and nothing else.

Then you got the guys they say "The profits go to Japan!" That's dumb. I look at it this way.

Let's say you buy a Honda built in Liberty Ohio or a Toyota or Subaru built in Kentucky. You have US workers on the line building these cars making US money and spending their money in the US. Then you have US transporters, who also get paid in US and spend their money here, that transport these vehicles to US dealers, who once again get paid in US currency and spend their money here. Or you can buy a Chevy made in Mexico where the line workers got paid in pesos and spend their money in Mexico and Mexican transporters got paid in pesos to ship the cars to the US. But the profits of those "foreign" cars go back to Japan! I can deal with what little profit goes back to some CEO if a bunch of US workers where involved and get jobs because of it. I'd rather see that than no Us workers being involved and the profits going to a bunch of stock holders.
Old 09-29-2009, 03:07 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

When I make a purchase, there are only two things that matter to me - - - - the quality and the price - - - I could care less who built it or where it was built.
Old 09-29-2009, 05:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danase
I personally hate how some of these people act like because they drive a Chevy built in Mexico they are somehow helping the US Economy over someone driving a Honda made in the U.S.. And then they go home and watch the news on their Chinese made televisions and ***** about it all online on their Chinese made computers while sitting on their Korean made furniture while wearing their Taiwan made clothing. It just baffles me that for some reason people feel they should only support American made vehicles and nothing else.

Then you got the guys they say "The profits go to Japan!" That's dumb. I look at it this way.

Let's say you buy a Honda built in Liberty Ohio or a Toyota or Subaru built in Kentucky. You have US workers on the line building these cars making US money and spending their money in the US. Then you have US transporters, who also get paid in US and spend their money here, that transport these vehicles to US dealers, who once again get paid in US currency and spend their money here. Or you can buy a Chevy made in Mexico where the line workers got paid in pesos and spend their money in Mexico and Mexican transporters got paid in pesos to ship the cars to the US. But the profits of those "foreign" cars go back to Japan! I can deal with what little profit goes back to some CEO if a bunch of US workers where involved and get jobs because of it. I'd rather see that than no Us workers being involved and the profits going to a bunch of stock holders.

I'm thinking then that no money at all goes back to the foriegn companies? Then ,if that is so , why do they even make products for sale in this country ?
Old 09-29-2009, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wretched ratchet
When I make a purchase, there are only two things that matter to me - - - - the quality and the price - - - I could care less who built it or where it was built.
So, if a good product was made available to you say, made by Al-Quida, you would have no problem buying it and supporting a people dedicated to killing Americans ?

We even have to be aware that poor quality products are being made in China and other foriegn countries that have name brands stamped on them. Black market stuff if you will.
This has been going on for years also.

We must be very aware of what we buy.
I don't think there is any question that there are a lot of good quality foriegn products out there. After all , they copied everything from the US.
I just happen to believe that we should spend local.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:06 PM
one full turn after it squeeks

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
So, if a good product was made available to you say, made by Al-Quida, you would have no problem buying it and supporting a people dedicated to killing Americans ?
even tho that is a ridiculous analogy and you know what I meant - - - my answer would be NO I WOULD NOT BUY ANYTHING MADE BY AL-QUIDA - - - don't even try to tell me that you know where EVERYTHING you buy is made because that's impossible to do in today's world.

I respect your patriotism and love for our Country and I am just as Patriotic as you are.
Old 09-29-2009, 06:32 PM

Latly I have become more aware of the crisis this country is in and have made an effoert to look for Made in USA labels. I googled made in USA and found a lot of inter esting site, to many to list all, but here is one.
There is a guy(forget his name) nthat visits stores and makes notes on stuff still made here that we wouldn't think about looking for a made in us lable. Like light bulbs. Found less expensive bulbs made in Penn. on the shelf next to GE bulbs from china.
http://www.madeinusaforever.com/
Old 09-29-2009, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Bob
I'm thinking then that no money at all goes back to the foriegn companies? Then ,if that is so , why do they even make products for sale in this country ?
You have a mullet don't you?

I never said NO money goes back. But I'll guarantee you that MORE money goes back into the US economy than the Japanese economy. So what if the CEO of Honda gets a fat paycheck? How many US workers got paid? How many US workers get paid when your Chevy is assembled in Mexico using Chinese parts?

Go pull a few parts on your car and tell me where they are made. My old Honda was the ONLY car I've ever owned where the radio even said "Made in US".

Recent Hotrodders' Lounge posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.