China made autolite plugs - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > General Discussion> Hotrodders' Lounge> Off-Topic
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-29-2012, 10:51 AM
Banned User

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted jester View Post
I'm interested LOL!!

Jester
It's mainly a social experiment, but also for the betterment of Liberia. Because the country stinks---literally, would opening up a factory help the economy?

The country really is in bad shape and i think an infusion of money may help; If a company could be given a huge tax break--for 10,20 years etc., this could seriously pump money into the economy.

Potential problems:

a) The need for high(possibly armed) security because the crime is out of control. What about looting and firebombing? How would this be handled?

b) How to ship the product out of the country---would also need high security from factory to ship?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 10:53 AM
Banned User

Last photo:

P.S.

For example--a BWM plant opening up in Liberia:

If the Liberian gov't would promise complete tax free operation for the company for at least 20 years AND provide military security for the plant, i think this could be a viable plan.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Get in, sit down, hang on

Last journal entry: Cab Removal
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by 302 Z28 View Post
I quit using Autolite plugs many years ago when Ford Motor Company quit making them. I think now they are made by the same company that makes Fram filters.

Vince
Correct, Vince. Allied Signal is the parent company.

"Ford" spark plugs have since been sold under the Motorcraft brand.
(Ford doesn't MAKE them, though ... )

I get the "where is this part made" question a LOT at work. My response to the "ugh, China!" is the the following:

"It's getting harder and harder to find products that AREN'T made in China, and we only have ourselves to blame!"
Old 09-29-2012, 04:28 PM

Last journal entry: was hoping for better than this
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by C-10 View Post
Ran into the china Autolite deal there a while back. I always look at where things are made. This always influences my buying decision.

'Parts stores' do not stand up for us either.. It's no way to do business. Most the 'guys' there don't care what you have to say.

If we choose NOT to buy it there, it's no skin off their arse... Really..
yup, it's the parts stores... face the truth head on!!!!!!!!!!! WE are the PROBLEM, we are the ones that buy/shop buy price..
And when I say we, I mean the American public.. not the gearheads that'll spend a little more for a quality part..
nafta didn't help.. but with 4 years of 8.4% unemployment.. we the public could've turned the US OF A'S job market around.. but haven't..
as we are to darn cheap..
Old 09-29-2012, 04:30 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
The bumper to bumper store about 20 miles from me used to sell Mooge parts ( very good parts) and now only carries Falcon (substandard parts made out of this country) My Buddy is the counter man and said the owner did that because he gets them cheaper sells them for almost as much and makes a whopper of a profit If all the parts stores make these profit making decisions the Quality manufacturers will go bankrupt no matter what country there in, What happened to American and swiss or Canadian high carbon steal scrapers and knives. Knives especially Their all stainless :Soft and wont hold an edge Or razor blades they used to last for days of use now they last for only minites! I go through boxes of razors now instead of a few doing the same job!!

Jester

FYI.. the owner did that because moog parts are made in india/china/etc and have been for awhile now..
Old 09-29-2012, 07:16 PM

Last photo:

NGK's website says they are USA made in California,hope it stays that way.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:03 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last journal entry: mopar hump back
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.Furgal View Post
FYI.. the owner did that because moog parts are made in india/china/etc and have been for awhile now..
Moog is an international company, I am talking more about Quality on this thread! Moog is better Quality! And still manufactures here and sells domestic built parts here.

I don't know why you would contradict me on why the owner changed brands in a privately owned parts store when I'm personally friendly with the manager and the owner unless you are psychic to our private conversation !

Coka Cola has factory's all over the world but you don't see bottled in Russia or China on your coke bottle ( I did see bottled in Mexico here in Michigan!! But it tasted like crap. So yes some moog parts are imported!

Jester
Old 09-30-2012, 01:11 PM

Last photo:

Quote:
Moog is an international company, I am talking more about Quality on this thread! Moog is better Quality! And still manufactures here and sells domestic built parts here.

I don't know why you would contradict me on why the owner changed brands in a privately owned parts store when I'm personally friendly with the manager and the owner unless you are psychic to our private conversation !

Coka Cola has factory's all over the world but you don't see bottled in Russia or China on your coke bottle ( I did see bottled in Mexico here in Michigan!! But it tasted like crap. So yes some moog parts are imported!

Jester
some!!!!!!!!!!!..
Old 09-30-2012, 04:34 PM

Last photo:

Sheesh.
Maybe it's coincidence, but my wife and I just watched a movie called "Bordertown" (Juarez, MX) on Netflix, and it's got me thinking completely differently about NAFTA and buying products from manufacturers that use cheap labor.

Paying single moms $5.00 per DAY, no benefits, no security ... and all kinds of corporate and government corruption (both moral and financial)

Check it out!
Old 10-01-2012, 09:29 AM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

They employ young children too! Especially in China. In China they live at the plants in little cubicles, and do their shopping at the plants! And work for 30 dollars a week averaged (3 years ago), no comp, no retirement, no health and safety regulations, no E.P.A. regulations,they do have nationalized health care which is better then nothing.

Jester
Old 10-01-2012, 10:42 AM

Last photo:

Yes, the premise of the movie is that they force families off of their own land as they are unable to pay taxes. They send these young people to work on the assembly lines, hoping to make enough money to pay those taxes and keep their land.

Unfortunately, all of their wages go back to the company-owned grocery stores, etc and/or the government ... while they live in shanty-town shacks.

Not much of a life at all.

The 'up-side' to all of this is that retailers can now compete for our disposible income. Let's use electronics as the example. What seemed to begin as a pizzin match has now become the norm as far as prices go.

I recall paying $800 for a used 286 computer system back in 1988. The new 386's were a couple of grand. Now an 'average' system sells for that much ... brand new!

TV's?
The Brick is giving 51" units away with a furniture or mattress purchase of $999.00. It's just gotten crazy!

The bottom line is that North America economies have become so consumer-driven (dependant) that they just aren't sustainable anymore. There will come a point where WE will be at the mercy of exporting nations, and they will set the pricing and the value of our currency ... or worse.

Sound radical? That is exactly what is happening in much of Europe right now ... austerity measures, and anti-austerity riots.

Are we so gullible as to think that won't or can't happen here?
Equilibrium is a force of nature ...
Old 10-01-2012, 12:17 PM
TAKE A KID TO A CAR SHOW

Last photo:

66 GMC:

Jester

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.