Hot Rod Forum banner

Chinese wheels

3K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  xntrik 
#1 ·
Been trying to make up my mind between American Racing Chrome Torque Thrust D's, or Chrome Cragar SS wheels for my 34. Well today i was in the Goodyear tire store and they had both wheels on display. I flipped them both around and on the back of the Cragar was "Made in China" :pain: . I had emailed American Racing earlier to ask them if their wheels were made in China and they got back to me pretty quickly. Their wheels are made in various countries (not China), but are polished/finished or chromed in the U.S. So when I saw where the Cragar SS was made, my mind was made up.

Vince

#3 ·
I used to work for a goodyear store and I would have to say stay away from ar and crager chrome wheels. sooner or later the chrome peels off inside the rim and it starts to leak. It seems to be mostly the newer stuff. Ive seen some of the older ones and they looked brand new inside still. ive seen so many chrome wheels go bad I will only recomend the polished aluminum to anyone that would buy wheels.

#4 ·
That is unfortuate. It's getting harder and harder to find anything NOT made in China. That's why I hate Wal Mart. Every now and then I have to go to that place to buy something because they are the only place within 30 miles that has what I need. Damn them! :pain: :pain: :pain:

#8 ·
Blazin72 said:
That is unfortuate. It's getting harder and harder to find anything NOT made in China. That's why I hate Wal Mart. Every now and then I have to go to that place to buy something because they are the only place within 30 miles that has what I need. Damn them! :pain: :pain: :pain:

Unfortunately the products coming from over there are for the most part a better quality {I'm no expert}

Its getting damn near impossible to get a high quality priced reasonable product from the USA & chances are somewhere in the production line involves something somewhere from over seas :pain:

Were going to hell in a bucket here :smash:

R :thumbup:

#9 ·
Rob Keller said:
Its getting damn near impossible to get a high quality priced reasonable product from the USA & chances are somewhere in the production line involves something somewhere from over seas :pain:
Or if it is manufactured here, it will usually involve either illegal immigrant labor or labor that is not compensated as to labor and comp laws.

You also have to lookout for a lot of counterfeit items. If CRAGAR is really made in ONE-HUNG-LO. then they will never have to worry about me purchasing a new set. And I guarantee the price didn't go down either... :spank:

#11 ·
malc said:
I never thought aluminum could be chromed successfully.
QUOTE]

Aluminum can be chromed successfully, but it involves several more steps than ferrous metal. If the chrome is coming off aluminum it is because the process was short changed.

Vince

#13 ·
When I was shopping for wheels this spring I was looking at AmericanRacing Hopsters. I try hard to avoid buying made in China whenever possible. I E-mailed American Racing & asked. The reply from them was that there Vintage wheels(including the torque thrust & Hopsters) are made in the USA. Later, someone told me that isnt true, so I called American Racing & asked again.
The first answer was that they are made in the USA, but I pressed & than he admited the centers, & the rings are made in China...than the pieces are put together here. So technically the "wheel" is made in the US....from Chinease cast parts.
I did not buy them, I bought Centerline Telestars instead...made in the US.

Attachments

#14 ·
Big Problem.

Lots of stuff made by the Commies is top quality stuff.
Trouble is our stock holders' demand for increased corporate profits has killed our jobs in this country.

Friend says gas is $ 3.28 in Chicago southside today, and the TV said it is going up .25 this next week.

Here comes $ 4 gallon regular BEFORE the liberal elections.

#15 ·
true, but also American workers often times demand wages & benefits that cant be justified , not to mention insurance, workers comp, OSHA, EPA, vacations, retirement etc etc. that the employer is expected to pay.
A perfect example is Eagle Cranks & rods. they are good products, at a reasonable price, if that same product was made here, it wouldnt be sold at a reasonable price, it would be priced like a Crower or Callies.

#16 ·
stepside454 said:
American workers often times demand wages & benefits that cant be justified , not to mention insurance, workers comp, OSHA, EPA, vacations, retirement etc etc. that the employer is expected to pay.
So in essence what you are saying is that the American worker's wages be a bowl of rice per day and if he falls ill or is hurt, be chucked out of the factory rear door? They actually chain the worker to machines in some countries. Some in other countries sleep by their machine afraid that someone will steal their job.

Did anyone bother to ask American how much money they were saving the consumer having the pieces cast in China? I bet the cost to us did not go down one penny.

#17 ·
stepside454 said:
true, but also American workers often times demand wages & benefits that cant be justified , not to mention insurance, workers comp, OSHA, EPA, vacations, retirement etc etc. that the employer is expected to pay.
A perfect example is Eagle Cranks & rods. they are good products, at a reasonable price, if that same product was made here, it wouldnt be sold at a reasonable price, it would be priced like a Crower or Callies.
The only wages that can't be justified are the huge salaries and bunus's at large corporations by CEO'S and the like.

#18 ·
stepside454 said:
Spoken like a true Republican!

The only wages that can't be justified are the huge salaries and bunus's at large corporations by CEO'S and the like.

#20 ·
HOGDADDY said:

Persons that bring greater value to the arena should be paid in greater value.

I don't want "average Joe *******" running any corporation that I am affiliated with. He is Joe ******* because he is just one of the "worker bees" and has no comprehension of corporate business. If Joe were so smart, he would already be running a corporation.

#21 ·
KULTULZ said:
I bet the cost to us did not go down one penny.
And why should it? The cost of production and the "cost to us" (price) are not directly related. The businessman's goal is to reduce the cost of production while keeping the price as high as the marketplace will allow.

Having said that, I am not so foolish as to believe that the world is a "free" market and that the utilization of cheap offshore labor (often considered and used as a weapon of war by other countries) is totally justified by the US application of the law of supply and demand. There is a long term consideration which is often ignored and that is the future of this country. If a businessman values the freedoms found in this country and the ideals embodied in its Constitution and would like to see these same freedoms and ideals available for his progeny, he might be willing to accept a smaller profit margin. Others might call him a fool and, indeed, he might end up with nothing, but he has at least attempted to do what he can for his country and his family.

#22 ·
BillyShope said:
And why should it? The cost of production and the "cost to us" (price) are not directly related. The businessman's goal is to reduce the cost of production while keeping the price as high as the marketplace will allow.

Having said that, I am not so foolish as to believe that the world is a "free" market and that the utilization of cheap offshore labor (often considered and used as a weapon of war by other countries) is totally justified by the US application of the law of supply and demand. There is a long term consideration which is often ignored and that is the future of this country. If a businessman values the freedoms found in this country and the ideals embodied in its Constitution and would like to see these same freedoms and ideals available for his progeny, he might be willing to accept a smaller profit margin. Others might call him a fool and, indeed, he might end up with nothing, but he has at least attempted to do what he can for his country and his family.
In this day and age, it is get as much as you can as fast as you can and sc ew everyone else getting it. Conscience W*F is that?

#23 ·
xntrik said:
Persons that bring greater value to the arena should be paid in greater value.

I don't want "average Joe *******" running any corporation that I am affiliated with. He is Joe ******* because he is just one of the "worker bees" and has no comprehension of corporate business. If Joe were so smart, he would already be running a corporation.

You all make good points but If Bubba has a good or better idea & he can't get into the slap arse executive lounge when he's doing the midnight grind to barely feed his family& pay the bills.

Bubba don't have the recourses to gamble on stocks & bonds , money market investment & all that other crap that the big boys dabble in for fun & profit, with other peoples money.

If everyone was a CEO of a major company NOTHING would get done & everything would be so outrageously overpriced that no one could afford it.

All these politicians running the farmers out of business to build more malls & golfing communities will know they screwed up when there if no food on their tables.

Ain't no measure of a man by the size of his wallet.

Those who die with the most toys still die.

Its not what you got its what you give.

Everyone wants to get rich quick & no one cares about the quality of life .

ONE nation under God indivisible with Liberty & Justice for ALL!

R :thumbup:

#24 ·
Im not a republican..Im a moderate, although I admit, I do lean right. you are right, there are some very greedy CEOs. But there are some greedy Joe six packs that think they deserve the same pay as the guy with a 4 year degree.
there was a large print shop not to far from here that I did service calls at. very nice air conditioned shop, employed 250, nobody there was over worked by any stretch, low turn over rate. they where all making 20.00 + an hour.
A few years back they started looking heavily at where there profits where going, they had to put an option on the table, either a 10 percent pay cut across the board, or production will have to go to Mexico. They all voted
The factory is now in Mexico.
Its not just wages. Its also insurance. Do you realize how much money employers spend on insurance for employees? workers comp insurance, liability insurance, & than health insurance. Who pays my insurance ? me.
Its also EPA regulations. the money corporations would have to spend making factorys EPA friendly, they had to make a choice, either build a state of the art EPA friendly product & pass the cost down to the consumer, move production to another country, or shut down. John

#25 ·
stepside454 said:
Im not a republican..Im a moderate, although I admit, I do lean right. you are right, there are some very greedy CEOs. But there are some greedy Joe six packs that think they deserve the same pay as the guy with a 4 year degree.
there was a large print shop not to far from here that I did service calls at. very nice air conditioned shop, employed 250, nobody there was over worked by any stretch, low turn over rate. they where all making 20.00 + an hour.
A few years back they started looking heavily at where there profits where going, they had to put an option on the table, either a 10 percent pay cut across the board, or production will have to go to Mexico. They all voted
The factory is now in Mexico.
Its not just wages. Its also insurance. Do you realize how much money employers spend on insurance for employees? workers comp insurance, liability insurance, & than health insurance. Who pays my insurance ? me.
Its also EPA regulations. the money corporations would have to spend making factorys EPA friendly, they had to make a choice, either build a state of the art EPA friendly product & pass the cost down to the consumer, move production to another country, or shut down. John
Can we assume that included the office employees also?

#26 ·
some yes, some no.
My point is, complaining about the executives being greedy gets you nowhere, its an old old arguement. After complaing enough about the executives making all the money, he looks at the money he has to payout per hourly employee. At that point he may ship your job to China, or elsewhere.
He is still making his money, infact probebly more, while the hourly guy is waiting for his unemployment check, maybe a pension check for early retirment.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.