Hot Rod Forum banner

Chip Foose vs. Boyd Coddington

144K views 64 replies 33 participants last post by  poncho62 
#1 ·
What is the story with this 2 guys? I've seen in an old hot rod mag that foose was boyd's designer, but in the american hot rod tv show that was in the air a few month ago down here, at boyd's this guy (the painter) quited his job to go to Chip's and Boyd was very pissed because his employee went to his enemy's.
I also heard that Boyd went bankrupt.
come on I want to hear the gossip

Augusto.

#3 ·
Most people don't care and boyd is a hack anyways. I watched boyds show once and I could not believe how little of an appearance cars made and how big of an appearance high school dramam made.

It's a lame reality show and no one watches it. Keep in mind any designer that has a tv show is on his way out as a fabricator.

#4 ·
DesertrusT said:
Most people don't care and boyd is a hack anyways. I watched boyds show once and I could not believe how little of an appearance cars made and how big of an appearance high school dramam made.

It's a lame reality show and no one watches it. Keep in mind any designer that has a tv show is on his way out as a fabricator.
Somebody must watch it....or it wouldn't be on. Boyd paid his dues, built some nice cars. Most TV is a sham...................

Personally, I don't care for Boyds or Fooses styles....................but lots do like them.

#8 ·
Boyd and Foose are both great builders/designers in their own right. There is definately no love lost between the two of them though! You may want to do a search of the site heading above and spend some time reading past threads on the two of them. There's about 5 pages of threads for each of them I believe.

#10 ·
The way I understand it is that Chip used to manager one of Boyd's departments and did some building on his own and Boyd did not like it. I think Chip is a great person having meet him once. I do not like the way Boyd treats his workers. Makes them work overtime on a minutes notice and if they don't he gets mad. Chip is more laid back and does not accept rush jobs on his own. Chip also get involved in the building and get dirty with his workers where Boyd does not get involved except to make last minute changes.

#11 ·
Foose did work for Boyd when he went out on his own after working for his dad for awhile. He did some great work and Boyd took credit. The Boydster is one. Foose left. With all the croap that goes on with Boyd, Foose ended up recruiting a lot of Boyds people. Charlie the painter, Beetle Bailey, Mike the machinist, and a couple of others. Boyd did get into some financial trouble a couple of times and the last time he sold off the wheel division to American Racing. There are a couple of other articles on here if you do a search for Boyd or Foose. But watching the show and seeing the demeaner of both, who would you rather work for. Discovery.com has a forum about Boyd with a couple of his guys actually answering some questions. Most of the time though, people are just slamming him.

Kevin

#12 ·
I don't care for either as both hack cars (original nice cars) and are kit happy. The last thing I would be proud of would be a generic crate engine in my car (if I could actually afford one)... :rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: The above post is my belief only. I am not, or profess to be, a Fast Car Guru on TV or any other medium.

And of course, your mileage may vary... :pain:

JNKYRDOG :thumbup:

#13 ·
If I had TV show I'd show harmony in the work place and quality work being dome to promote business,,,the way Boyd's place acts tells me he would never ever build a car for me(if I could afford him),he has paid his dues though.
Fooze is IMO a great designer and doesn't seem to get excited ,at least on TV.There are people who claim to be experts in every walk of life ,every trade, when they actually do shoddy work.

#14 ·
Somebody must watch it

I love Boyd's show. What surprised me is the amount of body filler Boyd's shop uses, I'd be worried about what the paint job would look like in 2-5 years. I think the final product looks very nice as far as paint quality though.

Foose's show "Overhaulin" has too much about the goofy prank and not enough about the overhaul IMO. I'm glad they got rid of that Courtney Hansen moron.

Jim

#15 ·
Has anyone noticed that Duane isn't quite the ***hole he was in last Year's episodes? While I think a lot of the "Drama" is made up, there is no doubt that there is some turmoil.

I like Foose as a person, but it strikes me as kind of weird that Boyd's guys end up at Foose's, which I think is kind of lame on Foose's part. Boyd certainly has some issues, but it appears to me that with his Foundation (which may be a Tax write-off) he is trying to do some good. Boyd is Boyd.

Also, while it may appear to us that Boyd is hurting, look at the Teutel's. Paul Sr. is rich now-isn't it possible that Boyd (and Chip) are doing equally as well? I think a lot of it is for a storyline-

#16 ·
I'd love seen 'em both in celebrity death match, I saw the other day Paul Sr. figthing with somebody I don't remember who he was but Paul won, kinda weird but funny ain't it?
BTW I love the Boyd's show because it shows lots of details about building, same as the Teutul's, great detail and creativity even though sometimes the arguing gets anoying, overhauling is great, chip's work is unbeleiveable, too bad as jleeheat says "Foose's show "Overhaulin" has too much about the goofy prank and not enough about the overhaul" it amazes me looking at Chip whe he draws a car before it's built, maybe the one I like the most is one he designed and built for Boyd back in 1987, I have it featured in Hot Rod Mag, it's a open top mix of a '57 and a '59 chevy, way low and streched, as you can see I'm blowing the dust off my old magazines.
Augusto.

#19 ·
Me, I don't watch either show anymore. It's entertainment for people who have no idea what goes into building a car. The highschool drama proves my point. I like Fooses cars. They show a lot of detail and imagination. As for Boyd, how many times is he going to redo the Boydster and call it something else? I also found this little excerpt on the net:

"Most people know it was less than a decade ago when Boyd Coddington Hot Rods declared chapter 11. In doing so, they stiffed small mom and pop hot rod shops to the sum of over $5 million. No big deal, right? Happens all the time and that's business. Sometimes when you go public, the stock doesn't go in the right direction.

They opened the doors again five years ago with brand new CNCs, water jets, etc... huge shop, giant inventory, all is good. Or is it? To avoid previous debts, they started the company in Boyd Coddington Jr's name and while he has since moved on to Weld Wheels, the old hot rodders have yet to get what they paid for and never will. Boyd gets richer, hot rods get glossier, and the Discovery Channel gets drama."

It's easy to see that between the two, Foose may have more scruples.

The people who can afford their cars are very wealthy and want a show piece that they can call their own. Who knows. All I know is that I'm not wealthy and the most their cars can do for me is maybe give me an idea or two that will work in the real world. Maybe if I had 3 or 4 million in the bank, I'd have Foose build me something, but then I'd also have a team of detailers to clean it up if I ever decided to drive it.

Also, the day that you decide that you don't want to drive your car because it might get dirty needs to be the day that you decide to take up another hobby.

#21 ·
hotrod fozzie said:
By the way AUGUSTO The quadradeuce and chyicane were not built by boyd or foose but by Manteno, Illinois TROY TREPANIER Which I prefer over them both but just my opinion!!!!!! In this fight FOOSE is better :evil:

You are rigth hotrod fozzie, I just had a brain fart, too many tv shows have confused me, those awsome cars were featured in RIDES, not American Hot Rod.

Anyway most people like Foose more than Boyd, I would love traveling to the states for a year and working at a hot rod shop, I'll take even Duane's crap to do so, I love fabrication and it would be great doing that stuff over here, I'll be the Ecuadorian Foose :D

Saludos from the middle of the world, amigos :thumbup:

#23 ·
Well I don't know which way the water drains down here in Brasil.But Augusto should suffer from the same bad translation we get here.I even wrote to Discovery complaining.Besides the translation and soup-opera bullcrap on these tv programs,I still enjoy one or another take.What shocks me is the lack of safety concerning the use of power tools.Them both use 3" pneumatic cut-off wheels with no eye protection whatsoever! Absurd! They are giving bad example worldwide to thousands of enthusiasts on tv! Unreal...

#24 ·
Hola Paulo,

yes, the translation is just absurd, thanks God Directv has SAP and I can watch most shows in english, too bad most of the speed channel shows don't have SAP and I have to listen to stupid guys who know more of tortilla flipping than cars, narrate the races.

Saludos, and please look at your toilet and tell if the water spins CW or CCW

Augusto.

#25 · (Edited)
:confused:
tfeverfred said:
Me, I don't watch either show anymore. It's entertainment for people who have no idea what goes into building a car. The highschool drama proves my point. I like Fooses cars. They show a lot of detail and imagination. As for Boyd, how many times is he going to redo the Boydster and call it something else? I also found this little excerpt on the net:

"Most people know it was less than a decade ago when Boyd Coddington Hot Rods declared chapter 11. In doing so, they stiffed small mom and pop hot rod shops to the sum of over $5 million. No big deal, right? Happens all the time and that's business. Sometimes when you go public, the stock doesn't go in the right direction.

They opened the doors again five years ago with brand new CNCs, water jets, etc... huge shop, giant inventory, all is good. Or is it? To avoid previous debts, they started the company in Boyd Coddington Jr's name and while he has since moved on to Weld Wheels, the old hot rodders have yet to get what they paid for and never will.
Little John Buttera designed and made the first set of billet wheels, him and Coddinton were both machinest, and friends,, Coddington wanrted to go in business with John and make the wheels, john declined and Coddinton took off on his own,, making the wheels,, he was very sucessful with them,, and finally went public,,and was doing great, untill the asian market took a dump and he was cought with his pants down,, he put the company in his wife's and sons name and filed chapter 11,, alot of people lost lots of money,, I was one of them,, [ I didn't loose very much at all compared to some people,,] then boyd started back up under the name of B Coddinton, then met jo. who was his personal trainer when he was trying to get rid of the big belly he had then, divorced his wife [ diane] and was off and running,, bUt he had to keep the X around because she owned B Coddinton wheels, along with Greg, The son, then he sold out to AMERCIAN wheels, and got rid of the X all in one deal,, :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:
Foose was Boyds designer after he graduated from the collage of design, and designed the boidster and many other cars that Boyd did take credit for, just like he does now,,Foose also was his manager for awhile,, but finally went out on his own,, which pissed boyd off,, just like everyone else does when the quit him,, Foose in my opinion is one of the BEST designers ever,, and truly a NICE person,, he treats people like he has known them for years.. you see him in a crowd,, he always makes eye contact and smiles, genuine nice person,, sorry I can't say the same for Boyd

He will be around for a long time,, its just a matter of time till Boyd bites the dust,, ever notice that the people that are having him build cars are the same people?? :confused:
Bill

#26 ·
Bill....I won't mention any names. but I know a famous rod builder that the several cars that made him famous were not even built by him, but by another person and a very rich man that was a friends of this so called famous rodbuilder paid for them. After the person fraudualently became famous....he and his rich buddy would hire different folks to build some more so they could sell them as the new guys creations. It was nothing but a marketing ploy....and folks all over think this rod builder is the greatest.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.