Chip Repair. - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2006, 12:20 PM
The Penny Pincher

Last journal entry: Hanging Bumpers
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chip Repair.

OK, here's a topic that should have a bunch of answers.
What is the best way to repair a good size chip in a panel like
a door, say a chip that's deep and pea sized & metallic paint.
(This is before you clear)

1) Fill with glazing putty, sand smooth and primer and paint?

2) Featheredge the whole area, primer and paint?

3) Fill with paint by way of a brush, build higher, sand smooth
then paint so it matches?

What's the easiest way for you?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-20-2006, 01:07 PM
Last photo:

Fill it any way that works for you, but if it is metallic you probably will have to recoat the entire door panel before applying clear.

Vince
Old 04-20-2006, 03:35 PM

Last photo:

I normally featheredge and it gets a few coats of urethane build primer. Unless featheredging doesn't take care of it. or say the car has been painted quite a few times and featheredging will be tough to do and not see a will leave a big dip where the featheredge is. Some cars are more diffucult then others if it has multiple layers of paint, or I had some before where the paint just doesn't want to featheredge and the edge of the featheredge just wants to peel no matter how far out you bring it. Sort of like some of those jobs you get in the shop where you are just suppose to straighten a panel and you end up digging into someone elses plastic filler work. Got a small gouge repair I have to do at home this weekend in fact.
Old 04-21-2006, 04:53 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last photo:

There are guys out there that go to the car lots and repair these "chips"
and I wonder how they do it, I don't think they're featheredgeing or
clearing the whole panel. They're just spot repairing and keeping it small.
Old 04-21-2006, 05:44 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcclark
There are guys out there that go to the car lots and repair these "chips"
and I wonder how they do it, I don't think they're featheredgeing or
clearing the whole panel. They're just spot repairing and keeping it small.
Yes there are guys that do this for car lots. last year when my son was looking for a ZO6 Vette we found one at a Dodge dealership in the Houston area. It was the blue color that is so popular. I could tell right off the car had not been taken care of as the lower rocker panels had been drug over things and were all scraped up plus other defects. It had a few good sized dings in the doors also. I let it be known that I was not impressed with the car, especially the door dings. The salesman assured me that they could take care of those. This was on a Friday, so we returned Monday to look at the car again. I had just about convinced my son that he did not want this particular ZO6. Well we looked the car over and you could tell every place the dings had been repaired. We declined and the salesman got pretty nasty. I told him what kind of moron would trade a ZO6 Vette in on a Dodge anyway. Next weekend we found a black ZO6 at Landmark Chevrolet and this is the one he is driving today.

Vince
Old 04-21-2006, 07:57 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,083 Times in 966 Posts
Ahhhhhh, drool, Z....O......6....

I have a very experianced racing friend (been autocrossing for thiryyears) whos wife bought one (she is a winning autocrosser too) and he took me for a ride. I would PAY for that ride. HOLY CRAP, he made that car do things I did not think were possible outside of the cartoons. THAT is an amazing car!

On the chips, YES to all three. It really depends. You can repair them by brush touching very nicely SOMETIMES. The "Best" way is to feather the chip out and paint the and clear the whole panel. But it isn't the "Bestest" way for all cars, people, pocket books, and time.

A simple brush touch is all I am going to do to my daily driver. Some cars even having never been painted have so much primer from the factory, you simply are not going to feather it out without skim coating the area in filler. Because of that, a little polyester putty in the chip and sand and paint would be in order.

Brian
Old 04-21-2006, 08:20 AM
The Penny Pincher

Last photo:

When a really good touch up is required, how do you guys spray the area?
Do you cut a hole in cardboard and hold it above the surface
and increase the hole with each coat
or just use a touch-up gun and feather out several inches
then clear the whole panel?

Is there any way to do a good fix that's cost effective for the customer
because everything I come up with is clearing at least half the panel
and buying a pint of paint, it just gets to expensive for a chip done
right
Old 04-21-2006, 10:50 AM
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR
Ahhhhhh, drool, Z....O......6....

I have a very experianced racing friend (been autocrossing for thiryyears) whos wife bought one (she is a winning autocrosser too) and he took me for a ride. I would PAY for that ride. HOLY CRAP, he made that car do things I did not think were possible outside of the cartoons. THAT is an amazing car!
Brian
Yep, it truly is an awesome car. The new 06 ZO6 Vette is even more of a monster at 505hp and 3100lbs. It outperforms the Ford GT, Dodge Viper, and the Ferrari at a fraction of the cost of either of the ones mentioned.

Sorry about hijacking the thread.

Vince
Old 04-21-2006, 03:25 PM

Last photo:

I've done it all those ways over the years. Like Brian said, It depends on what you are doing. IMO the best way if say you have a bunch of rock chips in the front of a hood is to sand and feather out If it is going to feather nicely, spray a little primer on, and sand, then blend the base over repaired area and clear the whole panel. That way the repair is going to be undetectable. But sometimes if you only have one deep gouge or chip it is easier to just sand the area and fill it in with spot putty, then blend and clear the panel. Then there is the older bones on the car lot, that just want to make it better so it can't be noticed easily from five feet away. These are often touched up with a brush, but Ive also built up a chip or scratch and wetsanded smooth, buffed the area. Its hard to get a perfect match with metallics brushing the color in and you will likely notice the repair close up. If it is just a scratch in the clearcoat, sometimes you can get away with just brushing some activated clear in the scratch building it up a little and then lightly sand and buff to be not real noticeable. Spot painting for me anyways seems to be hit or miss. Sometimes I will get a blend and won't even see it, other times even after buffing It looks lighter area around where the clear blend is. I don't know how to explain it but think most have seen where things have been blended. Once when I was working in a bodyshop while still young I painted a 68? beetle. One of those projects the shop took that set around till the collision repair slowed down. Well when buffing I burnt through a small area. My boss grabbed his airbrush and keep the area real small and you even notice.

Never had the pleasure of driving a z06 vette, but back in school got to drive a 85 vette around the shop. I was just wishing I could sneak it out the shop doors and down the street for a spin. Not having much money and owning mostly ordinary cars, sitting low in the seat and hearing the rumble and how quickly the car responded to a touch of the pedal made me wish I could take it home while no one was looking.

Last edited by kenseth17; 04-21-2006 at 03:30 PM.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.