choice of rods sbc - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2008, 06:35 AM
How fast is fast enough?

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNC BLOCKS NE
I don't think I would use a set of stock rods or cast crank in a 650 horse appliction or even a stock block, We use Dyers, Lentz or even may try the Callies rods, Crower.

At 650 horse I would go with a decent crank as well

It depends what you can afford!!!
Most people would agree stock parts do not belong at 650hp... But that cowboy who does slap it together and makes it last becomes in essence the Clint Eastwood of the auto hobbyist.

I love reading about those budget builds where people spend less than $3,000 and get more than 500hp, it usually requires a lot more time invested into those builds but they still are shrouded in a sort of mystic aura.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-16-2008, 07:54 AM

Last photo:

I got ya now and agree you race what you can afford.All I am saying is faced with paying 450.00 for the copies then paying to have them redone which is common to make them live they are false economy.The high quality rods are cheaper in the long run.When the budget doesn't allow the good ones I'll take prepped stockers .Of course every one has their own opinion and I respect that it is just that I have learned over 20 years of racing a lot of aftermarket parts ain't what they are cracked up to be.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:06 PM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnym17
I got ya now and agree you race what you can afford.All I am saying is faced with paying 450.00 for the copies then paying to have them redone which is common to make them live they are false economy.The high quality rods are cheaper in the long run.When the budget doesn't allow the good ones I'll take prepped stockers .Of course every one has their own opinion and I respect that it is just that I have learned over 20 years of racing a lot of aftermarket parts ain't what they are cracked up to be.
We use buy some high end rods for some of our builds and we still have to hone the big end as most of them are on small side and all the pin ends of the rods have to be sized.

We we buy are rods we break them down clean relube and retouque and go from there. And we check every rod for bent and twist before it goes in the engine or out the door.
Old 10-16-2008, 01:40 PM

Last photo:

What are your experiences with the carrilo, lentx etc vs. the offshore rods? You build far more engines than I do and have more chances to see the good vs. the bad my experience is that of a small time racer who just sees limited numbers of engines and only have my own experience to base my observations on. It would save me tons if I could trust them but so far have no reason to.
Old 10-16-2008, 04:07 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Smokey Yunick once said "I don`t build drag racing engines, but you don`t have to be a expert to see the difference between a 10 second drag race and a 4 hour endurance race. Like all forms of racing, professional drag racing is very competitive, and if you want to win, You have to run the engine right on the edge of destruction. But over the course of a full weekend of racing, a natraully aspirated drag racing engine has to withstand about one or two minutes of full throttle, full load running. As a result to win a drag race you have to gamble on breaking parts. But you can`t gamble with a endurance engine. A long or short track circle engine must withstand hours of full stress operation, and anything that compromises strength will catch up with you sooner or later"

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.