choice of rods sbc - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Engine
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 PM

Wiki Edits: 0

choice of rods sbc

What would be an opinion on rods for a 650 hp ,7500 rpm drag eng? sbc,on alcohol. opinions and brands.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 06:44 PM
SB S10

Last photo:

Last edited by runn141; 10-13-2008 at 06:56 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:50 PM

?
Old 10-13-2008, 06:51 PM

rods

I raced drag cars in the 70's and circle track most recently, rods and pistons are really good now, pick Carrilos or some top end rods, Wisco's or some Manley Platinum series pistons, light weight crank, top dollar items, and they will take the beating racing puts on a engine. TRW's and stock "X" chevy rods are good for a mild street engine, but real heavy reciprical mass for a top line racing engine.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:08 PM
Not Considered a Senior Member

Last photo:

Oliver rods.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:12 PM
471A

Last photo:

rod length

Consider also rod length. Instead of the factory 5.70 length, 6.00 or 6.125 is preferable for optimum torque/horsepower in a SBC, assuming there is sufficient clearance for the cam journals, etc. Also, Scat makes excellent race caliber rods for SBC.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:34 AM
Senior Curmudgeon

Last wiki edit: DynoSim combinations Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 326

Quote:
Originally Posted by 471A
Consider also rod length. Instead of the factory 5.70 length, 6.00 or 6.125 is preferable for optimum torque/horsepower in a SBC, assuming there is sufficient clearance for the cam journals, etc. Also, Scat makes excellent race caliber rods for SBC.
Please scroll down on this page and read Tech Tip 2005, written by Ed Iskenderian, before you try to pass this gibberish off onto anyone else. Thank you.
http://www.iskycams.com/techtips.php
Old 10-15-2008, 05:43 AM

Last photo:

Crower, Oliver best bet.A good aluminum rod for drag is not a bad idea several good ones out there.Stay away from chinese grenades such as eagle, scat, cat, etc. An eagle can be made to work but the rods will need resized before instalation as they are all over the place from the factory on big and small end sizing.And after you pay to have this done you could have the crowers , carrilo or oliver for the same amount.
Old 10-15-2008, 01:48 PM

Last photo:

re:choice of rods

just wondering if 15 to 25 year old used chevy rods would be better than new scat eagle cat etc. then?. Secondly are previously named rods all equally junk/bad.?
Old 10-15-2008, 06:33 PM

rods

I have been running Eagle SR's in my circle track 355 engine, and with Wisco flat top pistons, great solid lifter cam, double springs on Vortec heads with roller rockers, I have run these engines up to 7000, and only one time did I spin a rod bearing, now I have 4 years on that engine.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Bench racer

Last photo:

Eagle and Scat rods are not Crower or Corrillos but they don't cost what those rods do either. There are THOUSANDS of drag, circle track, and street cars running these rods with out a problem. If you have bottomless pockets then the choice is easy but for the rest of us compromise and risk is the name of the game.

I have raced both ways, dump everything I have at the time into the engine and cringe every time something breaks or throw them together with what I've got or can afford ( or can horse trade for!) and see what she'll do! I have more fun with the latter. No matter what you buy, if you race you WILL break stuff

I don't know how much racing experience you have or what your goals are but there's alot of fun to be had at the track without spending your kids college fund!

I'm not saying there's no good reason to buy top of the line, what I'm saying is I'd rather be racing "junk" than sitting in the bleachers until I can afford "the best".
Old 10-15-2008, 08:48 PM

Last photo:

Stock rods that have been resized , shot-peened with good bolts installed have been proven to be more reliable than eagle, scat, cat, etc.Check out speedtalk.com, 4mnet etc. where professional engine builders hang out and search their opinions.The Chinese copies look good but that fact is quality control is horrible, American companies can spec the best rod and materials possible but have no real way of controlling the metallurgy of the base rod.ATSM standards such as 5140, 4340 etc. are American standards and to the rest of the world are just numbers with no special meaning.Sure a prepped stock rod has limitations but in this case they are superior.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:58 PM

Last photo:

In response to the post about 4 years on a 355 at 7000 rpm, Good for you I wish you continued success, but there have many cases with these rods of 1 or 2 nights at 6500 detonating.Now I am not saying that if you get them checked, resized and balanced they can't hold up
especially at such low rpm levels.I have a 355 we have ran off and on for ten years that regularly turns 8000 to 8200 and has seen 9500 on the telltale after a flat or someone running up under the back bumper lifting the wheels of the ground.I don't personally recomend 9000rpm with stock rods but they have held up.This is with 600 horsepower 13.5 to compression and a stock cast crank it do work.In fact most of Chevrolets heaviest loaded engines(Heavy trucks) used cast cranks.The reasoning behind it is while a forging has more ultimate strength it is suceptible to cracking where as the cast one will flex without breaking up to a point.
Old 10-15-2008, 09:56 PM
Bench racer

Last photo:

Barnym17, I think you missed the point of my post..

I didn't say Eagle and Scat were equal to, or superior to the "big boys". I have no doubt that the high dollar stuff is better, but that doesn't mean that you can't race the cheaper stuff. A bowtie block is vastly superior to any stock SBC block but you don't HAVE to have one to race and have fun. If you have the money a Cola and a set of super high dollar rods would be great but there are more years than not that $1000 means the difference between racing and watching for me...I'll take racing with "junk" rods and crank, thanks.

"The reasoning behind it is while a forging has more ultimate strength it is suceptible to cracking where as the cast one will flex without breaking up to a point."

That is an interesting statement. You sure you don't have that back-wards? I've bent a forged crank (and had it straightened) and broken quite a few cast ones but can't remember bending a cast crank. Mine have always seemed to come out in pieces..

Last edited by SlowGTA; 10-15-2008 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:42 AM
CNC Blocks Northeast

Last photo:

I don't think I would use a set of stock rods or cast crank in a 650 horse appliction or even a stock block, We use Dyers, Lentz or even may try the Callies rods, Crower.

At 650 horse I would go with a decent crank as well

It depends what you can afford!!!

Recent Engine posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.