Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Choke heat tubes - how important?
View Single Post
Old 05-11-2005, 02:19 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: How to rebuild a Rochester Quadrajet 4MV carbureto...
Last journal entry: How to change auto shift timing on 200R4
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 21

All that is is a dip in the manifold over the exhaust x-over, totally sealed from the innards of the manifold. That plate that bolts on (4 bolts is a little overkill!!) is a little 'oven' with the tubing coiled net the iron so the air is heated before being sucked into the choke mechanism on the carb. You can see the inlet of the tube on the right side of the plate. Really efficient system and much better than the aftermarket electric chokes which don't have a clue what the engine temperature is - they just open the choke on time. Should be really cheap @ the Ford dealer or even cheaper if your auto parts store carries them. They should. If you are running a stock type carb with the hot air choke, it would be silly to not use this hot air choke, it is so easy and cheap to put together. ( that reminds me of a line from Curly Howard on the Three Stooges. As they were being chased around a haunted mansion by a gorilla Curly said, "It would be silly to be afraid right now - and I am feeling really silly!")

To get those rusted bolts out, heat them to white hot(just shy of melting) until you are sure they are heated glowing hot all the way down. Iron will be insulated well enough by rust that it won't get that hot. Quench them with a wet rag and when totally cool, they will back out like new bolts. Well, maybe not that easily but I needed to exaggerate for effect!

Last edited by willys36@aol.com; 05-11-2005 at 03:57 PM.