Choke light - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-16-2005, 07:54 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Choke light

I have something weird going on with my choke light, its nothing serious, its more of one of those things that will slowly drive you insane.
Anyway, On my 86' chevy c-10 Ive rebuilt or replaced almost everything with the engine and transmission. It originally had a quadrajet carb with an electric choke and a bunch of computer stuff. Well all the computer stuff has been unhooked for several years now and haven't had any problems. I even replaced the quadrajet with a edelbrock witha manual choke. The thing that gets me is, never before has the choke light in the gauges ever lit up until now. I just had the tranny replaced and several other things but I never thought about messing with much electrical type stuff.
I know its not a big deal but Im just wondering is there something I might have done to cause it to come on now and not before, and what I can do to turn it off. Or I could just leave it alone until the little light in it burns out, along with taking my sanity with it.

Brad

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-16-2005, 08:32 PM
Out of the Loop Moderator

Last wiki edit: Streetbeasts links
Last journal entry: at car show
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 5

My 83 S10 Blazer choke light comes on every now and then......It doesn't have any computer stuff that I am aware of. Doesn't seem to affect the way it runs, so i don't worry about it.
Old 06-16-2005, 09:20 PM
Gone fishin'

Last wiki edit: Removing stuck fasteners
Last journal entry: blah.......again
Wiki Edits: 2

Yeah it doesn't affect anything, when its on. Its just one of those small little things that drive you nuts.
Im just wondering if anyone has any idea of how to turn it off or if I should just let it drive me insane until it burns out.

Brad
Old 06-16-2005, 09:43 PM
Hotrodders.com Moderator

Last wiki edit: Rebuild an alternator Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 12

Choke light

Doc here,

If your getting a intermittent Choke light, and the Choke is ACTUALLY working OK, that's usually stage 1 of imminent diode failure in the alternator...

(provided you have eliminated Shorts and a bad relay)

The Choke relay is powered (on most GM Vehicles) From the altenator field output..

The reason is so the choke won't start to open on a non running engine with the key on...on a dead cold engine, defeating the purpose of the choke entirly...The choke will go from closed to open in about 3 minutes on the 12 volt heater..

Stage 2 of this failure , usually accompanied by the choke relay buzzing like a mini shaver..or like the key alarm buzzer going constantly..this is caused by the AC ripple from the output of what is supposed to be pure DC from the field..the contacts "Chatter" or oscillate at a very high frequency producing the Buzz like noise...from the AC ripple.

At this point you'll usually experience a dead battery every few days if left to sit that long..without driving the car..

You might want to check the Altenator...If the rely is good, and it's grounds are good..and no shorting is going on..

Doc

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.