Choke Questions, - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Electrical
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2008, 11:33 AM
Track & Street

Wiki Edits: 0

Choke Questions,

So we put a new motor in a chevy, and the carb is an edelbrock with electric choke. I don't have a multimiter just a test light. So we found a wire that that was live when the key is on, and dead when the key is off. It gives a bright bulb on my test light, the same brightness as when I touch it to my live battery post. I know it is in-accurate, but with weaker amps it doesn't light up as much, goes dim. So the wire we are using is definetly 12 volts (if not more), same brightness as the live battery post.

We can not start the car yet, the radiator and plugs are still out, but we are putting them in today.

So here is my question, we had the battery hooked up to wire the choke, found a strong live wire, put a "plug" head on it so it slips on the prong out of the electric choke.

The wire is from the old Air Conditoner plug, (all the AC is removed ) It had four wires in the plug, three dead all the time, and a brown wire that was hot when the key is on, we used the brown.

So we hooked it up and turned the key over to make sure the "plug" head was getting power. It is, bulb very bright just as before. So we got power to it

So figured all was fine, went to make sure all wires were tight.

I touched the ground wire coming off the choke( yes it is grounded very well ) and the ground wire that sticks out of the choke was hot.

Is that ground wire suppose to heat up? I've never used an electric choke and I am just afraid it may be too much power to the choke.

Called dad, he said they are suppose to heat up the whole choke heats up to make the car warm up faster .

But is this normal, like I said we can't run it yet, but I want to make sure before we go and start it that I won't fry any wires. Is it possible that the choke it getting too many volts??

Thanks!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-25-2008, 11:45 AM
Horsepower Enthusiast

Last journal entry: Finished BMOD001FH
Last photo:

This probably belongs in the elecrical forum. The choke is supposed to run off a switched ignition type circuit. And battery voltage (12.5v) is not too much for the choke.

The reason for wanting the power from the choke to turn on with the ignition is so that your choke isn't drawing power all the time.

You should be fine, it will start to heat up and gradually open the choke while the car is warming up and then you will tap the gas to take it out of high idle and you should be good to go.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:01 PM

Last photo:

I think you mayt have been touching part of the bimetallic spring mechanism and yes, it is supposed to get hot. The spring (inside the choke housing) retracts as it gets hot (from the 12v power) and opens the choke.

Recent Electrical posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.