choosing the proper rear end? - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Transmission - Rearend
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 08:05 PM
car novice..sad but true.

Wiki Edits: 0

choosing the proper rear end?

was wondering if i could get some help...got a 92 camaro RS...i was thinking of building a 383 engine...not sure exactly how much HP..maybe 430-500 or so...and i need to get a rear end to support that much power...i was curious if any of you guys know or can suggest what to look for...also any sites i could check out to maybe get an already assembled rear end..cause i am a noob and i have no knowledge on this subject..or at least not yet, but im hopin to learn...and i wouldnt really know how to assemble it if i got it piece by piece,thats why id rather get it pre-assembled. unless anyone can school me on the basics so that i would be able to do it myself.money is somewhat of a factor considering id like to replace close to everything... electrical/engine/suspension/trans/etc... so thanks in advance.

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2008, 08:37 PM
VROOOM !!!!!!

Last journal entry: This is the Rough Draft of the V8 Frame
Last photo:

Proper Rear End

Well its depends on what you want to build man, I have a 383 with the same power and Im wanting 4.53 gears for the quater mile. Answer this, Do you want to go fast fast, Or do u just wanna be all fast, Would this car be aimed at the strip, or fun ?

Rob
Old 10-17-2008, 09:14 PM

as of right now..im not really thinking so much about racing on the track or strip...its more of a street car...i dont plan on driving it daily..but id would like to take it out a few times a week, mostly while the weather is nice. and you know...leave my mark behind every now and then...i just wanna know that when i pull up next to some guy in a sooped up import...i can say...aint gonna happen. and i obviously cant use the stock rear end...so like i said my knowledge is small, so an already or almost already assembled rear with the right gears would be preferred. i wanna save some money though so i could put it towards other parts of the car as well. also since its goin into a 92 camaro id like it to basically pop right on in so i dont need to do any extra major work.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:01 PM
Differential/Driveline

Last photo:

http://moserengineering.com/Pages/Ho...ous-ford9.html
http://moserengineering.com/Pages/Ho...s-moser12.html

Didnt know how much of a budget you had in mind,Here is a couple spendy options.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:17 PM

Last photo:

There aren't any strong rearends you can get from a donor car that will be an easy bolt in. As Prostreet said it's gonna cost some $$ even if you assemble yourself. You could use a 9" Ford, 12Bolt Chevy or Dana 60 housing with the F-Body Camaro brackets. Strange, Moser or Currie can set you up with complete or partial rears. Here's a few other Co.'s
http://www.dcaracing.com/cat_9inrearend_1.html

http://www.quickperformance.com/Products/housings.htm
Old 10-17-2008, 11:44 PM
valve monkey

Last photo:

Good answers, all. The 8.5" GM 10 bolt is another option but, again, not a bolt in. If you're not already a member or the third Gen. Camaro board, it's a great source of info.

http://www.thirdgen.org/techboard/

HTH
Old 10-22-2008, 06:59 PM

if i was looking to go with either the 9" or 12 bolt or Dana 60, is there anything that makes one slightly better than the other....like would there be a benefit with having the 9 versus the 12 bolt, or the 12 instead of the dana 60....i think you guys get the picture... cause i was lookin at the spohn website... ( http://www.spohn.net/shop/1982-1992-...dy/Drivetrain/ ) and their prices seem reasonable...any input?
Old 10-22-2008, 08:10 PM
valve monkey

Last photo:

If you're gonna spend the money, buy the 9". My reasoning? Tougher than nails and ease of gear changes. The 9" has a removable third member so you don't have to set up the differential UNDER the car. I may be getting old but I like working on the bench as much as possible. You can even keep a second center section around that's set up with different gears if you want to.

Just my. $.02
Old 10-22-2008, 08:48 PM

lets say i went with the 9"... ( http://www.spohn.net/shop/1982-1992-...-Complete.html ) with the options that they give you..what would you guys choose and why?
Old 10-31-2008, 01:38 AM

no reply? well thanks anyways...
Old 10-31-2008, 06:21 AM
valve monkey

Last photo:

I'd join the Camaro-specific boards to get those questions answered. No need to "re-invent the wheel". Get answers from someone who's done it.

Better yet, call Spohn Performance Tech Department

Toll Free Tech Line: 1-888-365-6064 (8:00 AM-5:00 PM Eastern, Mon-Fri)

HTH

Recent Transmission - Rearend posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.