choosing a sandblaster - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Garage - Tools
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-11-2006, 06:29 PM
mini me

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

choosing a sandblaster

i did a quick search and read a few posts here and there, but i didn't really see anyone leaning towards one blaster.

anywho i want a sandblaster i'll use quite a bit, portable, and reliable

i figured since i'll use it quite a bit i'll need a big compacity tank and air pressure is not an issue nor is my area [no neighbors to nag at me tee hee]

i found this one a eastwood http://www.eastwoodco.com/jump.jsp?i...emType=PRODUCT

any pro's or con's? J

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-12-2006, 12:52 PM

Last wiki edit: Building a new shop
Last journal entry: Christmas 2008 came early!!!
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 54

I haven't tried the $15 sandblast kit I bought at the local Menards yet, so I can't (or shouldn't) speak real loudly here, yet. However, the link you gave looks really similar to the HF, dicount liquidator type sandblasters. A local place a couple of weeks ago had the same type of item (very similar appearing anyway) for around $65 as I recall. Just my $.02 on that particular model, maybe that one is better than the one that place had. Also, how big is your compressor? It'll take a LOT of air to blast with that type of unit. I blasted a small trailer frame at a buddy's work shop a couple years back. They had a high capacity compressor (Ready-Mix concrete plant) and it had all it could do to keep up. I'm waiting to see how my 6.5 hp 60 gallon will do.

I hope I helped you a bit, Chet.
Old 02-12-2006, 01:04 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

if your just going to do your own project it may be ok. #1 sand kills, # 2 it takes a lot of cfm to blast. i do media blasting here at the shop and have a diesel 185 cfm comp and a 6.5 cu ft pot with a 30 ft 1 1/4 hose with a 3/8 nozzel. i use starblast to remove rust, plastic for paint. i have a freash air suit to wear. lot more to it huh
Old 02-12-2006, 05:48 PM

Last photo:

Harbor freight had a 20 lb pressure blaster on sale for $50 in this weeks ad. I was tempted to go get one, but think I am going to hold out for a larger one. They go on sale often. Any one have experience with the HF blasters? I have a siphon feed right now. It will work, but you will be there for quite awhile. I would sand off what you can first then blast. It has trouble cutting through a bit of paint thickness and won't touch undercoating. Also fine media works the best and you need a bit of air that is dry. Having used pressure feeds units before, it is the way to go.
Old 02-13-2006, 05:13 PM
mini me

Last photo:

well thats not the exact one i want to get but darn close to what i had in mind. i just put that one up there just to show what type of blaster i was looking at.

as for the air pressure goes, well we [me & my bossman] have one of those tall stand up type of compressor's which i think it's peak hp is 7hp we also have one of those horizontal ac's which is 5.5hp and if all else fails we also have a toter {it's like a semi truck} which has an air hook-up on it

i'm just wondering if one like the one in the link above ^ if it'll have enough guts to strip paint, rust, or grease

J
Old 02-13-2006, 06:20 PM

Last photo:

Jesse, So far you have mentioned that you will need a big tank capacity(won't help) and then you mention HP rating(no help there either) but no mention at all of CFM which is what it WILL take to run that blaster. HP may give you a ball-park guess as to compressor capability but you will have to match the compressor CFM rating to the blaster's rating. This thing about compressor requirements has been gone over a number of times and you really should find out how much air you will have available before deciding on which blaster. That outfit you linked to may work pretty good with enough air but the specs list 6-25 CFM and I can not imagine what kind of media would be small enough to pass through a nozzle small enough to use only 6 CFM at any kind of usable pressure. In reality even a 3/32" nozzle is going to use a GREAT deal more than that and you will find that even a 12-15 CFM compressor will barely get you by and you will spend a lot of time waiting on it to catch up. Contrary to popular belief a big tank is not the answer and will not help if the CFM is not there, the difference in run time between a 60 vs 80 gallon tank at blaster discharge rates is mere seconds and any tiny runtime advantage offered by the larger capacity will be offset by the longer recharge time anyway so you gain nothing, bottom line is match the compressor CFM as close as you can to the blaster requirements because that tank can not put out any more air than the pump puts in it.

As Shine has already said SAND KILLS, there are other, safer media to use.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:35 PM
SPI Thug

Last journal entry: some progress
Last photo:

i would suggest starblast. it's fine grain and will work with a small nozzle. you can do small stuff and a little at a time with an electric comp but thats about all. the first step in blasting is pressure washing. you cant blast grease off and if your reclaiming the media it will be contaminated.
Old 02-13-2006, 06:54 PM
mini me

Last photo:

as for the cfm i can't provide that right this second, but that is more knowledge to keep in mind. this is all new to me so thanx for the input i used one of those BIG sand blasting cabinets back in the day when i was 14-15yrs. i was helping my buddy and his dad at an airboat shop, even though all i did was clean parts. but i have no idea what made it work. i just stuck my arms in the gloves and squeezed the trigger on the gun and blasted parts

i have a pressure washer but i thaught it might be easier with a sandblaster to blow off some of that old dried up grease inside my engine compartment

J

thinking about this one possibly
http://cgi.ebay.com/40-lb-Sandblaste...QQcmdZViewItem

Last edited by jesse01; 02-13-2006 at 07:23 PM.

Recent Garage - Tools posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.