Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - chop -- 2 questions
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2008, 07:08 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grouch
Thanks for the pics!

Looks like it's coming along. With that wrap-around windshield, it would take a lot of work to lean it back the way I'm testing mine in the edited photo, and it would likely still need to be custom cut. On the other hand the '55 has a long top to begin with so you don't lose all that much by sinking it like you've got it. Mine would look lost in the middle of the Olds body if I did that. It would lose 5 - 6 inches in length for a 2 - 3 inch drop instead of chop. (Look at that 50 Pontiac on HAMB, the 8th page shows a before and after).

Are you channeling the '55? (Looking at the photo where you're adding sections to the driveline tunnel).
The frame on the 55 is z-ed and that raised the engine so i had to move the tunnel. The car is on air bags so it lays frame.

Your car would NOT look right with a top drop. It needs to be chopped like you would do a 49-50 merc. That way you could lay the rear glass at a rake to compensate the top getting shorter when it comes down. Your glass would not be hard to cut like curved glass like i have. I suggest a traditional chop with tilted post like i stated in earlier posts/