Chop Top F100 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-31-2009, 08:47 AM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chop Top F100

I have a 66 F100 and was thinking of chopping the top. I want to chop about 3-4 inches out of the front only so that the top is slanted downward towards the front end. I know how to do body work, paint, etc but im not very good at welding. Does anyone know an estimate on how much that would cost? The cab is completely stripped of the interior, glass, etc and is off the frame so its just a bare cab. None of the finish work like filler or primer would need to be completed as I would do that myself. Pretty much just need the welding and metal fabrication done. I live in southern IL, does anyone know any shops in this area capable of a quality chop? The windshield is curved as well and thats one of the 2 issues that is holding me back right now. Any suggestions on what to about that? Any price estimate on a custom windshield? The second issue that is holding me back is the side windows. They are flat but they have vent windows as well. Would it be easier to remove the vent windows and make it just a single pane of glass? What about the window weatherstripping, etc if I were to make a single plane glass for the side? Any estimate on this kind of chop with just the metal fabricating and welding is greatly appreciated. Any advice and other estimates are greatly appreciated as well.

Here is a truck similar to mine to give you an idea.

Here is the actual picture of my truck. This was before it was completely disassembled. Its nothing but a bare frame now.

Can anyone photoshop these pics with the chop that I posted about above?

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-31-2009, 09:22 AM

Last photo:

check with a glass shop first...the glass can be cut .. but only a certain way,,and you would have to build frame around glass,, not glass around frame...side glass if it has a curve in it,, same thing...draw what you want on glass with a sharpe,,or grease pencil,,(might smear or rub off)..take down and ask..
I hear that some shops can do amazing things with a water jet..a lot of nice chop jobs out there,, and a lot of 1/2 finished jobs because they can't get glass to fit there " visions" of what they thought it should look like!!!
wind wings look nice chopped.. nice touch
.....THAT'S JUST MY OPINION......
but i may be wrong..... i mat be right..i just might be a lunitic....
Old 05-31-2009, 10:18 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,009 Posts
Ok, first Opinion time. Chopping that truck three or four inches in front only would look like ever loving crap. My opinion, sorry, but it hasn't been done for a reason, it would look like crap.

Chopping the top three inches in the back and four in the front, yeah, that can work.

The cost of having it chopped really depends on what part of the country you are in, some places you could get it done for $1500 or a couple of grand while others like around here $3000 and up.

As mentioned before, start the top chop and then you cut the windshield and then finish up the top to and fit it to the glass. Sounds crazy but you can't modify the shape of the glass, but you can modify the shape of the roof.

On the vents, that would be no problem at all, you remove the vents and everthing that would get in the way of the glass and make a pattern out of cardboard or thing plywood and have the glass cut to size.

Listen, if you have the passion to do it, do it yourself! If you have the welder, a die grinder with a cut off wheel, a hack saw, grinder, drills, etc. you can do it yourself!

Don't just run out there and start cutting, study it a little. Get This book (click here) and this DVD (click here, then go to the fourth one down on the page) to demysify it.

The glass channel is simply replaced with new that you buy in 6' lengths. There are tons of suppliers, and many different sizes so that is wide open and a piece of cake.

You will have to make a channel for the front of the glass at the leading edge of the door of course, but again, a piece of cake.

I chopped my first car (my 1948 Chevy pickup) at 16 years old and had VERY LITTLE skills to begin with, but I sure had a few by the time I was done!

Brian
Old 05-31-2009, 11:27 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the opinions so far I really appreciate them. I realize that 3-4 inches in the front may be a little too much and im thinking more in the area of 2-3 in the front after doing more measuring. I want a chop that leans noticeably more towards the front end because ive seen these trucks with just a straight chop job and I dont want that look for my truck. Does anyone have any pictures of trucks with chop jobs with the same style im after?
Old 05-31-2009, 11:29 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the links martinsr it looks like great stuff.
Old 05-31-2009, 12:04 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,139 Times in 1,009 Posts
2-3 inches raked forward is pretty dramatic, again, I think it is way too much.

If the front were down an inch, that could work. And in fact it is very common on chops to go an inch or so more in the front, especially with the 53-55 Ford F-100.

Photo shop it, or at the very least before there was photo shop I would take a photo of the side of the truck like the second one you posted (but standing back so you can see the WHOLE truck) and cut it and paste it together on the dining table.

Measure something on the truck that is the distance are after, say that mirror, you measure it and find it's 3" tall. You then can measure on the mirror on the photo and using what you find to chop the top and you will have chopped the top of the truck in the photo 3" .

I used to do that all the time, I have cut up photos of my truck on the wall of my garage right now.

Brian
Old 06-02-2009, 10:07 AM

Last photo:

Thanks for the advice martinsr ive done line drawings of the truck so far with different dimensions of a chop top. Just trying to find one that I like and then go from there. The main problem ive read about doing a chop on these trucks especially the older ones is that the windshield is curved so much its extremely difficult to get it cut to fit. I read on a forum where one guy went through 3 windshields and was on his 4th because the glass kept breaking when cutting it. Any other advice, sites, articles, books, etc for doing a chop top the right way and fitting the windshield properly? I can use all the information I can get.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.