Chop Top GM Glass - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 08:25 PM

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Chop Top GM Glass

Hey Everyone, building a 49 GMC three window pickup, planning on chopping the top, Just curious, Ive seen a lot of them done but not sure what to do for weatherstripping for the windshield as it is a two piece windshield, the center piece is going to cause issues with sealing properly, just wondering what other people have done for weatherstripping, or urethayning it in? Any kind of help would be awesome!

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-05-2010, 11:43 PM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:

Thanked 1,078 Times in 961 Posts
It is really no big deal at all, you have about as simple a chop as you can get regarding glass. All you need to do is cut the rubber and glass to size and install the glass as normal. I cut the rubber right at the division bar and simple urethaned it there with the one seam.

I did this when I was 16 back in 1974 so I am sure you can do it.

Brian
Old 07-06-2010, 03:53 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

How did you cut the glass ,Brian?
Old 07-06-2010, 06:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
How did you cut the glass ,Brian?
That I bought to a pro to do. You know the funny thing is I thought it was going to cost a lot to do. I put it off and put it off and thought I would never have enough money to do it. When I finally went into the glass shop with my glass, windshields, door glass and back glass, (the corner windows I made from plexiglass) it was $36!

Thirty six dollars is all it cost me to get all the glass cut! LOL, If I had known how cheap it was I would have gotten it done sooner.

Of course, why in the hell did I have the original scratched up old glass cut? Guess I couldn't have afforded the $100 for all new?

Brian
Old 07-06-2010, 09:27 AM

Last photo:

I get a kick out of these photos every time I see them.

Brian

Old 07-06-2010, 09:06 PM

Last photo:

When you sectioned the top after chopping it, did you fab an insert, or have another truck to cut it out of?, i have another truck, same body style, but unsure of the year, it would be easier to just cut that section out of it, rather fab one?
Old 07-06-2010, 09:10 PM

Last photo:

And yes Brian it is very cheap to get glass cut, i work with auto glass for a living at the moment, funny story tho!
Old 07-07-2010, 04:47 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

I love thoses pics... Hard to believe we were that young (on the outside) but then again I remember when gas welding was your only option too.
I gotta hand it to ya, Brian ..I was working on cars early too (14yrs old) but I never got the nads to chop anything until my late twenties....you got the HR bug real bad ....although theres no cure, getting married and having kids will sure put it in remission
Old 07-07-2010, 07:44 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by herbie19661949
When you sectioned the top after chopping it, did you fab an insert, or have another truck to cut it out of?, i have another truck, same body style, but unsure of the year, it would be easier to just cut that section out of it, rather fab one?
In the last picture you can see a white Ford Pinto fender on the ground to the left side, you can see the pieces I cut from it! LOL

I have also used another roof so there is one seam, that works too but VERY difficult to cut perfect!

I feel the best way is to cut the skin off making a giant sun roof like hole. You then cut the new skin from the donor roof a little larger (all with VERY CAREFUL MEASURING) and weld it in. Did that as well on another chop, it works real nice on many cars.

Brian

Last edited by MARTINSR; 07-07-2010 at 07:51 AM.
Old 07-07-2010, 07:50 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
I love thoses pics... Hard to believe we were that young (on the outside) but then again I remember when gas welding was your only option too.
I gotta hand it to ya, Brian ..I was working on cars early too (14yrs old) but I never got the nads to chop anything until my late twenties....you got the HR bug real bad ....although theres no cure, getting married and having kids will sure put it in remission

LOL, gas welding with a borrowed torch and coat hangers as rod! I sectioned my first car two years later at 18.

My first marriage didn't slow me down one bit! Oh my God, I would be out in the garage until one or two in the morning working. I don't think anything could have helped that marriage but I didn't work real hard on it if you get my drift.

I am just now finishing up a bathroom remodel. It's just in time down to the wire for a visit from my daughter. It really reminds me of the days thirty years ago when I would do "marathon" on a project in the months leading up to a show. Man did I burn away a bunch of my body with unrealistic goals. I thought I would be done with this bathroom weeks ago and be relaxing right now waiting her arrival.

Looks like I haven't gotten any smarter.

Brian

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.