Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chop the top on my 1947 Ford Pickup
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 11:30 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,080 Times in 963 Posts
On my first chop the windshield posts ("A pillars") needed to come out a little to fit the bottom. I pulled one side over and welded it, then when to other side to find that it was MORE off than the first one (because I had PULLED the roof over to weld the first one! ) so I tied a rope to it and out the barn window (yes I did it in a barn) and to a fence post. I had a few friends stand on the rope while I welded the post. Problem was that post had a different angle than the other! LOLOL, when the windshield (also two pieces like yours) was cut one was different than the other!!! Over the years only one person ever noticed it. But it was actually pretty easy to see if you stood in front of the truck.

But you honestly can come back and fix that corner with metal as described earlier. Remember, you are "creating" something here, you can do anything you want. Just weld metal on there until it all flows. We aren't talking about changing the "angle" of the post, just the inner portion where the glass fits.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DocImage64.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	1.80 MB
ID:	49422   Click image for larger version

Name:	DocImage33.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	888.1 KB
ID:	49423  

Last edited by MARTINSR; 10-31-2010 at 11:37 AM.