Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board - View Single Post - Chop the top on my 1947 Ford Pickup
View Single Post
Old 10-31-2010, 02:12 PM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by deadbodyman
the plug welds are important for strength,

Sorry!!!! but your wrong in one way.. You do not ''NEED'' to plug weld it.. for added strength.... The backing strip welded to the two upper roof top will be the added strength...To me it is a waste of time,, And just adds more heat then you need.. Put the backing strip in place, Leave a little space on your butt, Weld it right, and you ''WILL NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS''... You can do what you feel you need to.. But you will see what I'm talking about.. The plug welds Are ''ONLY'' to hold it into place while you are welding.. But if you have someone to hold up on it while you put a few tack's FROM THE TOP.. it will work.. When I was welding pipe for a living.. We used them inside the pipe.. They where called Chill rings. Never had to plug weld them into place... Do what you feel ''YOU NEED'' too.. Next someone will tell you that you need to flip the truck over and weld each side of the backing strap.. Give me a break..