Chop the top on my 1947 Ford Pickup - Page 2 - Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board
Hotrodders.com -- Hot Rod Forum

Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Unanswered Posts Auto Escrow Insurance Auto Loans
Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board > Tech Help> Body - Exterior
User Name
Password
lost password?   |   register now

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2010, 12:29 AM
Brian Martin,Freelance adviser

Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 0

Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,147 Posts
This is what I was talking about. If you look at the two "trucks" you will see the one that is chopped has a shorter distance between the vertical line up from the bottom of the windshield and the top of the windshield. This shorter distance gives the illusion of the windshield not having as much of a rake as it did when it wasn't chopped.

So when I chop the top on my new cab (I started it a few years ago and went onto other projects) I will be lengthening the roof half as much as needed, then rake the post back the remainder so that the roof has a better more "stock" appearing flow.

Get it? Or do I need to get a bat and beat it into you?

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF5170.JPG
Views:	243
Size:	954.9 KB
ID:	49169  

Advertisement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2010, 12:33 AM
Believe in yourself !!!!!!

Last journal entry: 41 WILLYS FRAME
Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTINSR

Get it? Or do I need to get a bat and beat it into you?

Brian

I would be glade to pay for your plane ticket to come give it a try.. But that ticket will only be one way.. I would love to see you try my friend.. I really hope you may be a little smarter then that..
Old 10-24-2010, 12:36 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NEW INTERIORS
Well buddy !!! I have done ''almost'' anything that can and can't be done to a car are a truck,, I'm not one of your little school kids here.. So I don't need any picture of what your ''trying'' to say.. What you said just didn't make any sense to me.. Maybe your talking Japanese or something.. And as far as seeing some pictures.. I have been on here for sometime now,, And all I every seen was one picture of you ''I guess'' at the age of 15. I would just love to see ''SOMETHING'' you did..
I have actually provided links and issues of magazines cars I did were in, maybe you missed them? I guess you are one of those guys who thinks you need proof of what I do, the words I write aren't enough even though the stuff I write couldn't be written by someone who had never done it?

Maybe I made up all this up in this thread? "Basics of Basics" Sectioning a Body

I don't know how I could have written it if I hadn't done it, do you?

Listen hotrod, I don't post much of anything for the know it alls, I do post for those who don't. So you will likely see a lot of what I post as "below" you being you are a master car builder. I like to help those who don't have all the experience you do, so they CAN build something and be proud of it.

So don't get all pushed out of shape about something I post.

Brian
Old 10-24-2010, 12:38 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I would be glade to pay for your plane ticket to come give it a try.. But that ticket will only be one way.. I would love to see you try my friend.. I really hope you may be a little smarter then that..
Listen hotrod, you started off with a crappy attitude attacking me with an accusation I don't like, it is bull crap straight up to call someone a lier.

The bat comment was a joke, and I don't need your threats to say that. It was a joke.

Brian
Old 10-24-2010, 12:42 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I have actually provided links and issues of magazines cars I did were in, maybe you missed them? I guess you are one of those guys who thinks you need proof of what I do, the words I write aren't enough even though the stuff I write couldn't be written by someone who had never done it?

Maybe I made up all this up in this thread? "Basics of Basics" Sectioning a Body

I don't know how I could have written it if I hadn't done it, do you?

Listen hotrod, I don't post much of anything for the know it alls, I do post for those who don't. So you will likely see a lot of what I post as "below" you being you are a master car builder. I like to help those who don't have all the experience you do, so they CAN build something and be proud of it.

So don't get all pushed out of shape about something I post.

Brian

I have never tried to come off as a Master car builder here.. You must not read anything I post here,Or you would know that.. As far as posting the ''big'' thread's you post.. That isn't ******* to me my friend..
Old 10-24-2010, 12:46 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I have never tried to come off as a Master car builder here.. You must not read anything I post here,Or you would know that.. As far as posting the ''big'' thread's you post.. That isn't ******* to me my friend..
Honestly I never have seen you post anything like your post accusing me of "carrying a big bat" and having never seen anything I did like I need to prove something to you, that blew me away actually because I never have seen you say something like that.

That seriously caught me off guard, that is how I read it, am I wrong? You didn't mean that?

Brian
Old 10-24-2010, 12:47 AM

Last photo:

Sorry hotwheels1.. For my bad attitude on your thread... I just like when someone can show a little of what they can do.. That's all..
Old 10-24-2010, 12:48 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Sorry hotwheels1.. For my bad attitude on your thread... I just like when someone can show a little of what they can do.. That's all..
It's all good.

Brian
Old 10-24-2010, 12:49 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
Honestly I never have seen you post anything like your post accusing me of "carrying a big bat" and having never seen anything I did like I need to prove something to you, that blew me away actually because I never have seen you say something like that.

That seriously caught me off guard, that is how I read it, am I wrong? You didn't mean that?

Brian

I think you already know where we stand..
Old 10-24-2010, 12:59 AM

Last photo:

Quote:
I think you already know where we stand..
I guess it isn't "all good"? LOLOL, It is with me.

Brian
Old 10-24-2010, 06:19 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwheels1
Awesome guys, thanks a bunch for the info and yea, no going back now. I just finished cutting the full 4" inches around the top of the cab. I temporarily placed the top back on the body so i can get an idea of which and where i need to go from here. Check it out:
"Gentlemen" , I have a question...
In the first picture of the Chopped roof sitting in place it looks like the drip rails line up very well eliminateing the need for 1/4ing but the windshield pinch weld doesn't seem to line up,Have you any thoughts on how to make this area look right? A smooth transistion??? Mabee splitting the top and bottom pillar and spreading them???
Old 10-24-2010, 09:34 AM

Last photo:

This roof wouldn't need to be cut and widened, you are right. Most roofs up into the fifties aren't that much different width wise to need to widen them, but when you get into the fifties they start having the need.

I am not on hand with this chop at my brothers house so I can't say for sure. But from what I remember in looking it over the last time I was there when they were in the planning stages It was close enough where some simple "massaging" of the upper or lower or both to make them perfect would be required.

If you'll notice on my nephews truck the fit is a little better, maybe even not needing any serious work because he made the cut lower out of the curve.

It's hard to tell how the A pillar lines up of course because the roof hasn't been lengthened in this picture. But you can see that the upper cut on the pillar is a bit lower into where the pillar is straighter and it matches much better with the lower portion of the pillar.

You can also cut at a diagonal. There is nothing that says you have to have a perfectly horizontal cut. One side of the pillar may match well when cut at a different spot then the other side, so you make the cut diagonal.

And of course you can do a pie cut to make it all fit as well. That is the only mod you have to do on something simple like a Model A roof, the windshield pillar has a slight taper (front to rear of the pillar) and you need to do a little pie cut for perfection.

Brian
Old 10-24-2010, 07:12 PM

Last photo:

Here are a few picts of my 51 I like the windshield back and the proportions of the window to the door from the side. I think if you go more they look squashed but that's my opinion. I am also using lead on the bodywork where it is welded back together where plastic would work but again I am building it for me not a customer so if it takes a little more time I am OK with that.

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	misc pictures 152.jpg
Views:	360
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	49193   Click image for larger version

Name:	misc pictures 159.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	82.9 KB
ID:	49194   Click image for larger version

Name:	misc pictures 158.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	83.5 KB
ID:	49195   Click image for larger version

Name:	misc pictures 146.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	82.4 KB
ID:	49196   Click image for larger version

Name:	misc pictures 154.jpg
Views:	2787
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	49197  

Old 10-24-2010, 08:01 PM

Last photo:

That is baby is looking good! You did a super job at leaning the posts. I don't usually go for it but darn that looks good. The flow is nice, very nice.

I don't think it is too much of a chop either, on the F-1 the hood is so much thinner than say the Chevy of that vintage, it looks very good.

Brian

Old 10-25-2010, 06:22 AM

Last wiki edit: Stripping paint Last photo:
Wiki Edits: 11

Great job Mike. I like it too.

Recent Body - Exterior posts with photos

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Hot Rod Forum : Hotrodders Bulletin Board forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name (usually not your first and last name), your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.